Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:00 AM

139 posts, read 364,141 times

Advertisements

I just talked to my sister in Blairsville and she had to have someone with a plow on his truck take her home from work at 1:00 a.m. I miss the snow--I can't wait to move back! I am stuck here in TN where, last week when we got 1"-2" in one late afternoon, (and it was gone the next day), the school had been cancelled all day (no snow until after 5 p.m.); people were flocking to the stores for the aforementioned milk, bread, toiletpaper, etc.; and the Dollar Store beside the grocery closed early "Due to the Weather" as the sign in their window said. Oh brother--get me out of here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 08:02 AM

13 posts, read 22,909 times
Have 23 on the ground now, another 8-10 coming

Old 02-06-2010, 01:49 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,602,078 times
23" of snow here in midtown Harrisburg

Old 02-09-2010, 01:17 PM

13 posts, read 31,158 times
I had a good laugh at these replies.

In all seriousness, though - We're due for more snow tonight into tomorrow and I'm not excited at all. I'm ready for spring!

Old 02-09-2010, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 22,909 times
Yeah, here we go again

Old 02-09-2010, 07:44 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,274,241 times
I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of the "panic." Here in Northern Virginia "Snowpocalypse: Part I" came on Friday through Saturday. Here it is Tuesday night, and not only hasn't my road been plowed yet from that first system that dropped 30" of snow here, but now we're getting another foot through tomorrow night. Schools are closed all week. Federal government offices closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Thursday's closure is a good bet too. Metro hasn't been running at full operation. It's been VERY difficult to get around. Luckily I live where I can walk to a grocery store to restock. However, if I were out in the boonies I very well COULD have been "marooned" for well over a week!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 AM

393 posts, read 1,524,490 times
A few more feet of "Global Warming!"

Old 02-10-2010, 07:24 AM

208 posts, read 647,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to make fun of the "panic." Here in Northern Virginia "Snowpocalypse: Part I" came on Friday through Saturday. Here it is Tuesday night, and not only hasn't my road been plowed yet from that first system that dropped 30" of snow here, but now we're getting another foot through tomorrow night. Schools are closed all week. Federal government offices closed yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Thursday's closure is a good bet too. Metro hasn't been running at full operation. It's been VERY difficult to get around. Luckily I live where I can walk to a grocery store to restock. However, if I were out in the boonies I very well COULD have been "marooned" for well over a week!
I agree that, in some circumstances, it's not a laughing matter at all. For the few years I lived in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, I think the most we ever got was six inches (and it was not often we even got snow when everyone else did) and it was difficult to get around. My son's school was canceled for two days for a little over three inches one time. In states that are not accustomed to it or as well prepared, it can be crippling. My heart is breaking for them now as they received 30 inches and now expect another 10-12. I believe those kids are out of school all week also.

It is somewhat laughable though when those of us in PA who are used to snow push the panic button for 4-8 inch forecasts. Schools announcing they are closed the afternoon before the storm? That's crazy. What happens if it doesn't come? Why can't they wait til the morning of? So the superintendents can sleep in maybe?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,718,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
A few more feet of "Global Warming!"
Winter could be snowiest on record | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/08/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/83783912.html - broken link) - read down to the point where it says: "Why the white madness? The consensus is that the extra juice is being supplied by the continued warming of the equatorial Pacific, where the sea-surface temperatures are 2 to 4 degrees above their already tepid normals."

Old 02-10-2010, 08:05 AM

393 posts, read 1,524,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Winter could be snowiest on record | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/08/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/83783912.html - broken link) - read down to the point where it says: "Why the white madness? The consensus is that the extra juice is being supplied by the continued warming of the equatorial Pacific, where the sea-surface temperatures are 2 to 4 degrees above their already tepid normals."
'El Nino' year.

It's normal during an El Nino pattern and part of the natural weather cycles. The EcoNazis were caught red handed manipulating and cherry picking data. More to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania