Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,592 times

Advertisements

So I was looking into moving to PA. I currently live with my GF in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. I came across a fellow advertising an apartment, we spoke for a few about the apartment, then told me that we either needed to pay:

6 months advance on rent, or, first, last months rent AND security, or, first months rent and security, in the amount of twice the normal security.

I need to know what landlords are allowed to ask for, for move-in. All that seems a bit rediculous, and I know that in California, it is illegal to ask for all three, or, anything that would amount to it, or more. So I am wondering what the deal is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:42 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviatas View Post
So I was looking into moving to PA. I currently live with my GF in Hasbrouck Heights, NJ. I came across a fellow advertising an apartment, we spoke for a few about the apartment, then told me that we either needed to pay:

6 months advance on rent, or, first, last months rent AND security, or, first months rent and security, in the amount of twice the normal security.
My kids both live in Philly, and have moved around a lot. EVERY apartment they ever lived in asked for first and last month's rent, and security deposit.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,320 times
As far as I know, there is no law against a landlord asking for whatever he wants. It's capitalism, either you take the deal he/she offers or find another place to live. I've lived in the Lehigh Valley and western pa only. Philadelphia might be different because there is a lot of thugs around there that makes the landlords suspicious. At my apt in the Lehigh Valley I only had to pay first month's rent and a security deposit, which was equal to one month's rent. For a 1BR apt in Whitehall, I believe the rent was around $900, so it was $1,800 to move in. In western pa prices are a lot cheaper and apt complexes and landlords are a lot more lax it seems. I got a 2BR apt there for $750 and a $200 security deposit, so it was $950 to move in. So, it really depends on where you live. If you are moving to Philadelphia, expect them to be very strict. In western pa, a lot of landlords and even apt complexes do $200 or $100 security deposits and a lot still don't even check your credit. The Lehigh Valley is a mix. From my experiences with them they want a month's security and they check your credit, criminal history, and verify your employment. A lot also want an application fee. I've never come across or heard of any place that wants first month, last month, and a security deposit. I would consider looking at a few more places in the area to see if that's the norm or not. The only other thing could be that they ran your credit and your a big risk for them, so they want a larger deposit to make sure you won't skip out on rent.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviatas View Post

I need to know what landlords are allowed to ask for, for move-in. All that seems a bit rediculous, and I know that in California, it is illegal to ask for all three, or, anything that would amount to it, or more. So I am wondering what the deal is.
Personally I would never rent an apartment that asked for this. But in PA, to my knowledge, it's not against the law. I don't think it's a good idea to do it though.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM

13 posts, read 31,273 times
The last apartment I had, I was required to pay first months rent + the security deposit which was the same as another month's rent. They do have to put your security deposit into an escrow account. That money and the interest should be returned to you at the end of your lease pending there is no damage that needs repaired.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:23 PM

10 posts, read 100,464 times
Default Security deposit

A landlord may only ask for a deposit of 2months rent maximum, and this money must be placed in an interest bearing account, after the first year, the deposit amount can only be 1 month's rent, the second month's must be refunded. The landlord must refund the money or give a detailed summary of why the deposit was held within 30 days of vacating. carpet cleaning for $100. does not allow a landlord to keep a $600. deposit. Hope this helps. If the landlord says the deposit is higher because of your credit, than he must furnish you with your credit report and a summary of the criteria he uses for denying you. But even then, the deposit is limited as above. Just doesn't have to rent to you.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:39 PM

10 posts, read 100,464 times
By the way, I am a landlord by trade, so I know what I am talking about, but I only charge 1/2month's rent as it is just too hard for folks to come up with 2 months rent at once. Good luck

Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
but can a landlord ask for 1st, last and TWO MONTHS for a security deposit? i'm moving to philadelphia and that's what's being required. is *that* legal??

Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
Go to the rent sub forum here on City-Data. The first stickied tabs have the tenant/landlord laws for each state. From what I remember in PA the the landlord can charge whatever they want and you are free to go someplace else if you don't like what they charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania