Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:24 PM

8 posts, read 113,136 times

Advertisements

Hello people, I am an international student currently studying in Pennsylvania. I have my country driving licence and an international driving permit. I will be staying for 15months. I need a car. I was thinking of buying a car instead of renting as renting is too costy. But I don't have a PA licence and I am afraid automobile insurance companies would not want to insure my car.

1) what are the documents needed to buy a car ? I don't have a social security number as I will not be working in the states. I do have a I-20form, visa, passport, my country driving licence and an international driving permit that expire in 1 year time.

2) do you guys think I should instead buy a expiring lease rather than buying a car ?

3) Where is recommended to buy a car, what are the things I should look out for and how easy is it to sell a car when I am leaving PA ?

4) How much roughly it will cost for automobile insurance for someone who has 1 year driving experience ?

5) I wanted to get PA licence but one of the required documents is the SS no.which i don't have. That is one problem. And I heard it is possible to still get the PA licence if one has a letter of denial from SS that stating I cannot have a SS number. Anyone know of this ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 04:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
1) If you're paying cash for the car, you don't need any documentation if the car is under 10k.

2) Since a lease would be longer than you'll be here, I say buy a used car.

3) Depends on where you live in Pennsylvania.

4) Perhaps $1,200 per year for a used car.

5) Not sure, it's worth a shot.

Not bulleted but mentioned is your concern about insurance. Since Pennsylvania law requires that all cars have car insurance, carriers can be forced to provide you coverage.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
1) If you're paying cash for the car, you don't need any documentation if the car is under 10k.

2) Since a lease would be longer than you'll be here, I say buy a used car.

3) Depends on where you live in Pennsylvania.

4) Perhaps $1,200 per year for a used car.

5) Not sure, it's worth a shot.

Not bulleted but mentioned is your concern about insurance. Since Pennsylvania law requires that all cars have car insurance, carriers can be forced to provide you coverage.
As in auto insurance like allstate,geico has to provide me with coverage even though I don't have a PA licence and I want to drive in PA ? As I was thinking of buying a car and drive in PA with my international driving permit while I try to get a PA licence along the way too.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complus View Post
As in auto insurance like allstate,geico has to provide me with coverage even though I don't have a PA licence and I want to drive in PA ? As I was thinking of buying a car and drive in PA with my international driving permit while I try to get a PA licence along the way too.
If insurance companies deny you coverage, you can obtain coverage through the state assigning an insurance company to cover you through the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan. The premium would be higher, but you can definitely get auto insurance in PA.

Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan *()

Pennsylvania honors valid foreign drivers' licenses with an international driving permit from your foreign country. Therefore, insurance companies providing auto insurance in Pennsylvania have to honor that law.

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - FAQ - Miscellaneous

Your foreign drivers license with an international driving permit is valid for one year. Then you will need to get a Pennsylvania Driver's License. You can definitely obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license without a social security number. You were correctly informed that you need a waiver from social security.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/misc/ssfs.pdf

As for BUYING the actual car, you don't need much documentation if you are paying cash under 10k. (Most documentation is required by finance companies to give you a loan. If you are paying cash, it's irrelevant. However, if you buy a car that costs over 10k, you will need to provide documentation because the government is interested in people who have excessive money and is concerned they may be earning their money illegally. (Think drug dealers.) As a result, any purchases with cash over 10k are somehow reported to the government----car purchases, home purchases, etc.

When you transfer ownership of the car to yourself from the person you are buying it from, that's called titling. The same documentation is needed when you title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania----a Pennsylvania driver's license and proof of insurance. (I gave you inaccurate advice previously. It turns out Pennsylvania only accepts Pennsylvania identification to title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania.) Therefore, you will definitely need to get the waiver from social security so you can obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...fs-buysell.pdf

Basically, you can DRIVE in Pennsylvania with an international driver's license (as you would if you rented a car at a car rental agency), but you do need a valid Pennsylvania driver's license or Pennsylvania identification to actually PURCHASE a car in Pennsylvania.

Have fun car shopping! You're going to be driving soon!

Old 02-13-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If insurance companies deny you coverage, you can obtain coverage through the state assigning an insurance company to cover you through the Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan. The premium would be higher, but you can definitely get auto insurance in PA.

Pennsylvania Assigned Risk Plan *()

Pennsylvania honors valid foreign drivers' licenses with an international driving permit from your foreign country. Therefore, insurance companies providing auto insurance in Pennsylvania have to honor that law.

PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - FAQ - Miscellaneous

Your foreign drivers license with an international driving permit is valid for one year. Then you will need to get a Pennsylvania Driver's License. You can definitely obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license without a social security number. You were correctly informed that you need a waiver from social security.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/misc/ssfs.pdf

As for BUYING the actual car, you don't need much documentation if you are paying cash under 10k. (Most documentation is required by finance companies to give you a loan. If you are paying cash, it's irrelevant. However, if you buy a car that costs over 10k, you will need to provide documentation because the government is interested in people who have excessive money and is concerned they may be earning their money illegally. (Think drug dealers.) As a result, any purchases with cash over 10k are somehow reported to the government----car purchases, home purchases, etc.

When you transfer ownership of the car to yourself from the person you are buying it from, that's called titling. The same documentation is needed when you title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania----a Pennsylvania driver's license and proof of insurance. (I gave you inaccurate advice previously. It turns out Pennsylvania only accepts Pennsylvania identification to title and register a vehicle in Pennsylvania.) Therefore, you will definitely need to get the waiver from social security so you can obtain a Pennsylvania driver's license.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...fs-buysell.pdf

Basically, you can DRIVE in Pennsylvania with an international driver's license (as you would if you rented a car at a car rental agency), but you do need a valid Pennsylvania driver's license or Pennsylvania identification to actually PURCHASE a car in Pennsylvania.

Have fun car shopping! You're going to be driving soon!
Hi, that is an excellent information. Really appreciated the help and efforts . I think this information not only have helped me but others who are looking through. I have one more question, how long typically one needed to wait to get a driving licence. I know how to drive a right sided steering wheel only. I guess it won't be difficult for me to adapt to a left sided steering wheel. And i know this question is almost unanswerable as it depend on how good a driver i am. But let said, typically if I pass the written test and I am confident of passing the practical test. How long it will take ? As in is there a period between the time i can take the written test and the practical test ? I have searched the website and all I know is junior under the age of 18 have to wait 6 months after their written test to take the skill test. PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Services Legend

Old 02-13-2010, 09:27 PM

I just realized once my international driving permit expired , I can apply for a learner permit by simply taking the written test without the practical test. This seemed to be ok since I am staying for 15 months. But I would just continue to get a PA licence if possible when I passed the written test. And I think it is a mandatory thing for people to wait 6 months for their skill test after passing their written test to accumulate 50 hours of driving experience ? Or is it only for driver who is under the age of 18 ?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by complus View Post
And I think it is a mandatory thing for people to wait 6 months for their skill test after passing their written test to accumulate 50 hours of driving experience ? Or is it only for driver who is under the age of 18 ?
I can't find a clear answer on that. It simply says that you must pass all tests, no mention of wait times.

Although not referencing foreign residents, residents from other states need to apply within 6 months of their driver's license expiring.

Since your international permit has expired, play it safe and apply for your Pennsylvania permit ASAP.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Once you are over 18 there is no waiting period or 50 hours of required driving time. Good thing too because that driving time has to be done with an adult over the age of 21. My oldest child waited until she was 18 to get her license and I did not have to sign off on the 50 hours. That said, as a Pennsylvania motorist, I would appreciate it if you stay off the main roads until you are fully comfortable driving. There are enough crazy drivers out here that supposedly know how to drive already.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:53 PM

I see I am over 18 so it is good, normally is it possible for someone who know how to drive and is able to pass both written and practical test in a week? I know it is a rather subjective question depending on many factors from the driver's experience, the road conditions to the tester's mood. But I want to know if everything is good, it is possible to get a licence in a week ?

Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 PM

No clue. But don't let not knowing the answers to these questions postpone your getting the ball rolling. Seriously. It's time to go get things started!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania