Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:58 PM

4 posts, read 23,238 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are curious about Pottstown as we are looking into buying a house. We can't believe how affordable the prices in Pottstown are (makes me wonder why)! We are not familiar with the area. We appreciate any help and info such as crime, safety, schools, neighborhoods, restaurants, things to do, etc. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 07:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,881 times
There is a reason why real estate is so cheap
and abundant in Pottstown.
You dont say where you are moving from but there is
a good chance statistically, Pottstown would be a step
down from where you are coming from. Not trying to be
overly negative, just realistic.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:57 PM

78 posts, read 376,141 times
In one simple statement:

You get what you pay for!

Old 06-27-2007, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,848 times
Hey jewels8 let me really tell you what pottstown is like being that I'm from here. I'd say its pretty small I'd say but we have surrounding towns that have diffrent names like pottsgrove, Coventry Stowe but are considerd pottstown which make it a lil bigger but the crime is low not too many killings about 4 to 6 a year its usally drug related which all goes on in one spot of town which is the middle. Where there is nothing anyway the schooling is not the best if were talking about pottstown high but pottsgrove Owen j Roberts and St pius which is a private school are all good schools the safety is great you don't have to worry about being bothered or nothing like that if your not involved with the middle of town the houses you may see as cheap may be a house that is in a bad spot but if your looking at the north side its peace and quiet along with the east side the west and south side are not as nice well just mail me if you have any more concerns or questions ill tell all

Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 18,129 times
Hi Jewels *8, I moved to the north end of Pottstown, near New Hanover and Gilbertsville in February of this year, and let me tell yoou, coming from SC I found the housing to be ridiculous in PA, but Pottstown was a bit more realisitc for our purse. There is little to do in Pottstown and I have found that the population is mostly 70 year olds. As for things to do, there are mainly diners to eat at, if you like that sort of thing, but the quality of them is not good. I have been unable to find work within 20 miles and 20 miles seems to be the distance we have to travel to shop, eat, or sight see. If peace and quiet country life is what you are searching for, then this is the place to come. For a family who likes to be near restaurants or the movies, or wants entertainment of most sorts, this is not where you want to be. If it had not been for the price of homes in this area, we would have gone elsewhere, and once I find a job nearby, I hope to move closer in near King of Prussia, perhaps. PA is expensive on a while when you come from the south, so be prepared and if you have any gold bars, bring them along,,,as you will need them!

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM

43 posts, read 182,686 times
yes the housing is incredibly reasonable and taxes are better then moving west into berks county with the outrageous douglassville area however as someone before said, there is not much in pottstown to do. the other problem is the closer to KOP you move, the more money you will pay. there are some restraunts (chains) going in limerick (5-10 minutes) and more in collegeville (10-15 minutes). the location is nice because you can go to exton or kop for shopping, both are nice and not much difference between drives.

the schools in pottstown are ok, not great at all. pottsgrove is better, but somehow makes the news because of stupid kids calling in bomb threats. there are a few good private schools in the area and i heard catholic schools around here and good as well (have not looked into these)

Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,047 times
Thumbs up Pottstown Living

Pottstown is a decent place to live in that it is affordable. We have been here 5 years and have made many neighborly friends. We have joined Historic Pottstown Neighborhood Assoc, and The Elks Club. They are trying to revitalize the downtown, which has beautiful architecture. There are some urban issues, due to slum lords, and the flux of temporary residents=transient types coming from Norristown and Philly. However, The key is to be involved in your neighborhood, and the schools, and it will all be fine.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:55 AM

1 posts, read 8,492 times
I live in the North End of Pottstown and I agree that it is the nicer and quieter side of town. We do have a mall and movie theater, downtown is trying to revitalize and has an art gallery (real art, not Thomas Kincaid-ish mass produced schlock) some antique stores and a farmer's market. A lot of the industry is gone and nowadays the biggest employer is the Medical Center. THe elementary schools are excellent and I have been satisfied with the middle school and so far, the high school. My child is even a special needs student and has had no problems with other children. If you are involved, the teachers will bend over backwards for you. The schools enforce a no tolerance for bullying policy. The Hill School, which is a private school also hosts activites in their art gallery and theater. There are also alot of historic buildings and sites in the area. Valley Forge Park is about 1/2 hour away, but in Pottstown is Pottsgrove Manor, up the highway a bit is Daniel Boone Homestead, Peter Wentz Homestead is further east, and Lancaster is about an hour's drive. THere are things to do here if you are ambitious enough to search them out.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:12 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Believe it or not, 3 of Donald Trump's kids went to the Hill School.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,891,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Believe it or not, 3 of Donald Trump's kids went to the Hill School.
Thats weird. With Trumps personality, I'm surprised he didn't ship them to a boarding school in Switzerland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania