Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM

86 posts, read 379,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
I work in corporate environmental compliance. basically, I ensure that my business' practices are within the letter of EPA law.
Sounds like a decent paying position - good for you!

I'm sure that you need a college education for your type of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 01:55 PM

158 posts, read 811,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowaytoknowyet
Sounds like a decent paying position - good for you!

I'm sure that you need a college education for your type of work.
Yeah, you really need a master's degree...

Old 07-28-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you really need a master's degree...
Speaking of College Degrees - I have a BS in Accounting and cannot well at least reluctant to post it on my resume.

Why?

Because the #@#$$ college I went to in Italy which closed its doors in 1987 (quite expensive too I may add) kept practically no records so if a check on my education would come about it would show nothing for my hard work. I have a copy of my degree, but my original got damaged beyond recognition in a fire. For me it bites big-time.
Unless maybe you know a way out of this. Some people that I've asked this have told me to list it as I did earn this degree, but again have to worry about a educational background check. I was fortunate that my father sent me to this catholic private college in 1980 and graduated in 1984 - cost him plenty, but luckily he had a good business at the time that was able to absorb the cost.

SIGH

Old 07-28-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Speaking of College Degrees - I have a BS in Accounting and cannot well at least reluctant to post it on my resume.

Why?

Because the #@#$$ college I went to in Italy which closed its doors in 1987 (quite expensive too I may add) kept practically no records so if a check on my education would come about it would show nothing for my hard work. I have a copy of my degree, but my original got damaged beyond recognition in a fire. For me it bites big-time.
Unless maybe you know a way out of this. Some people that I've asked this have told me to list it as I did earn this degree, but again have to worry about a educational background check. I was fortunate that my father sent me to this catholic private college in 1980 and graduated in 1984 - cost him plenty, but luckily he had a good business at the time that was able to absorb the cost.

SIGH
Can you speak fluent Italian? That would help your case a little.

To be honest, if I was your potential employer I would find the story pretty fishy.

Here's what I would think:

1) This person is lying and never went to college.
2) This person could be telling the truth, but what college worth anything doesn't keep records? A good private school never "closes." It'll have funding if it is a serious institution. Why should I hire this person with a questionable, foreign degree when I can hire someone with verifyable credentials from a University I've heard of (and that still exists).

That's the type of thinking you're facing. What was the name of this school? If I do a search on google, will I find records of it closing up shop in the late 80s?

Old 07-28-2006, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Can you speak fluent Italian? That would help your case a little.

To be honest, if I was your potential employer I would find the story pretty fishy.

Here's what I would think:

1) This person is lying and never went to college.
2) This person could be telling the truth, but what college worth anything doesn't keep records? A good private school never "closes." It'll have funding if it is a serious institution. Why should I hire this person with a questionable, foreign degree when I can hire someone with verifyable credentials from a University I've heard of (and that still exists).

That's the type of thinking you're facing. What was the name of this school? If I do a search on google, will I find records of it closing up shop in the late 80s?

That's exactly why I don't list it - I'd rather have credentials that are verifiable and not to be labeled a liar, etc, etc...

I went to High School here in NJ with a diploma which is easily verifiable and again have to pretend with a heavy heart that I didn't attend college at all.

I tried Google - no good.

The Italians in that time frame were notoriously noted for *****ing the easiest of tasks - think of this, they can't even sell their FIAT cars here in the US if that tells you something.

St. Bosco College in Milan, Italy is the name of the College I attended.

As I understood, this college was on bad footing being the very high tuition costs, enrollment, and funding from the Communist Italian government so that's why they closed I think - lack of funds to keep it going. Remember the Italians don't quite earn much of any money, in fact to this day the southern half of Italy has a 30 - 40 percent or so unemployment rate and about 15 percent in the northern part.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That's exactly why I don't list it - I'd rather have credentials that are verifiable and not to be labeled a liar, etc, etc...

I went to High School here in NJ with a diploma which is easily verifiable and again have to pretend with a heavy heart that I didn't attend college at all.

I tried Google - no good.

The Italians in that time frame were notoriously noted for *****ing the easiest of tasks - think of this, they can't even sell their FIAT cars here in the US if that tells you something.

St. Bosco College in Milan, Italy is the name of the College I attended.

As I understood, this college was on bad footing being the very high tuition costs, enrollment, and funding from the Communist Italian government so that's why they closed I think - lack of funds to keep it going. Remember the Italians don't quite earn much of any money, in fact to this day the southern half of Italy has a 30 - 40 percent or so unemployment rate and about 15 percent in the northern part.
But do you speak fluent Italian?

Old 07-28-2006, 04:08 PM

Quote:
But do you speak fluent Italian?
Nope, never have.

But there was never a problem during my college days because that college had english speaking professors and most of the student body there as well.

Today if you were to visit it wouldn't be a problem getting around most of the country just speaking english.

So forget about that possible solution to my problem - it bites.

I wish that things were different.

Being we're on this subject - I wonder what would happen if my type of situation would've happened here in the states?

Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Nope, never have.

But there was never a problem during my college days because that college had english speaking professors and most of the student body there as well.

Today if you were to visit it wouldn't be a problem getting around most of the country just speaking english.

So forget about that possible solution to my problem - it bites.

I wish that things were different.

Being we're on this subject - I wonder what would happen if my type of situation would've happened here in the states?
I've never heard of a legitimate US university or college closing its doors within the last 25 years...if there was one, please let me know! I've heard of less-than-legit universities getting shut down for not being on the up and up. They were not accredited, though.

It that type of situation were to have happened in the US to a real, legitimate University, I'm sure there would have been some sort of record system to allow employers to check and see if you were an actual student.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of a legitimate US university or college closing its doors within the last 25 years...if there was one, please let me know! I've heard of less-than-legit universities getting shut down for not being on the up and up. They were not accredited, though.

It that type of situation were to have happened in the US to a real, legitimate University, I'm sure there would have been some sort of record system to allow employers to check and see if you were an actual student.

Makes alot of sense to me. At least the USA does things right for this particular situation.

I'll live, just ticked off at my situation after all my hard work and I'm not into doing this again here - don't quite have the $$, energy, or patience in my middle 40's. Plus there's no guarantees with a degree in hand that success will take place anymore as more and more companies (albeit there's exceptions/career paths that must have that education) are going with experience these days.

Old 07-29-2006, 07:21 AM

31 posts, read 138,738 times
Quote:
Makes alot of sense to me. At least the USA does things right for this particular situation.

I'll live, just ticked off at my situation after all my hard work and I'm not into doing this again here - don't quite have the $$, energy, or patience in my middle 40's. Plus there's no guarantees with a degree in hand that success will take place anymore as more and more companies (albeit there's exceptions/career paths that must have that education) are going with experience these days.
It's funny that we went to a college with almost the same name.
I'm in somewhat the same situation of my College here in NJ closing in 1990 due to declining enrollment.
There's no way of anyone getting transcipts or any other info on past graduates of this college, it's a shame.
They were accredited which doesn't mean a thing if any college can't have enough students to keep it viable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania