U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 07:26 AM

158 posts, read 592,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnomore
It's funny that we went to a college with almost the same name.
I'm in somewhat the same situation of my College here in NJ closing in 1990 due to declining enrollment.
There's no way of anyone getting transcipts or any other info on past graduates of this college, it's a shame.
They were accredited which doesn't mean a thing if any college can't have enough students to keep it viable.
Which college was that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2006, 08:34 AM

31 posts, read 99,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
Which college was that?
Don Bosco College in Newton, New Jersey

Well at least was there once.

Old 07-29-2006, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Don Bosco College in Newton, New Jersey

Well at least was there once.
Yep, there it is...closed in 1990. I found a list of closed colleges and it appears thatg it and Upsala College are the only two "real" accredited universities to close in NJ in the last 20 years. It's weird as Upsala has a site set up so you can get your transcripts mailed to you or an employer.

Don Bosco College, while accredited, was only around for like 60-some years it seems. That's very new in terms of a college.

I'm willing to bet you could get a copy of your transcripts somehow...

Old 07-29-2006, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Yep, there it is...closed in 1990. I found a list of closed colleges and it appears thatg it and Upsala College are the only two "real" accredited universities to close in NJ in the last 20 years. It's weird as Upsala has a site set up so you can get your transcripts mailed to you or an employer.

Don Bosco College, while accredited, was only around for like 60-some years it seems. That's very new in terms of a college.

I'm willing to bet you could get a copy of your transcripts somehow...

I tried that as Sussex County Community College took over that campus years later and I cannot get anything from them as they're not affiliated nor required to keep records from a former "tenant".

So how's an employer to verify my attendance there? I wonder.

I think that Upsala had a much greater student enrollment than Don Bosco College thus probably has "support" for a website.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I tried that as Sussex County Community College took over that campus years later and I cannot get anything from them as they're not affiliated nor required to keep records from a former "tenant".

So how's an employer to verify my attendance there? I wonder.

I think that Upsala had a much greater student enrollment than Don Bosco College thus probably has "support" for a website.
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/

Contact them and see what's what.

Old 07-29-2006, 09:45 AM

Quote:
http://www.state.nj.us/highereducation/

Contact them and see what's what.

Thanks!

I'll try it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 PM

6 posts, read 10,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnomore View Post
Thanks!

I'll try it.
So... Did it work? Did they have transcripts of your records?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:32 PM

10,212 posts, read 16,026,505 times
Since njnomore hasn't posted since last Christmas on this board, I'm assuming he won't answer.

To see if a poster is active you can click on their name and see what they've been up to. Granted, many people probably just lurk and don't post but if someone had been posting and then stops for 3-4 months, I figure they've lost interest.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:36 AM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Jobs dont pay around here. Employers have the audacity to advertise for degreed applicants and offer $10 an hr. It's insulting.
That's the way it is in much of Pennsylvania, I'm sorry to say. Employers don't seem to realize that folks in their early-20s fresh out of college simply can't afford to live off of $10/hr.-$12/hr. At this point in time they are starting to pay off student loan debts, are considering purchasing their first home, and are looking for a mate to start a family. Many are also likely trading in their 10+ year-old vehicles that got them through college for a newer, more reliable vehicle. All of these propositions cost a considerable sum of money, and a $20,000 starting salary for someone with a Bachelor's Degree is insulting. Why even put forth so much time and effort in pursuing a degree then when you can drop out of high school and earn just as much, if not more, working full-time in a trade? What's the incentive?

As a college Junior who has worked full-time during most of his college career thus far, I have been able to pay my bills. However, my car is nine-years-old with 94,000 miles and will need replacement within the next 2-4 years. Ka-ching! I'm still living at home with my parents about ten minutes away from campus, but after college you can bet that I'll be moving out on my own into either an apartment or home. Ka-ching! I have just fallen in love with a wonderful partner who I hope to someday adopt children with. Ka-ching! Then I'll land a wonderful job in Scranton with my MBA earning $13/hr. Where's the ka-ching for that one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania