Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 02:57 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

I asked this same question about Hershey and also would like info about Penn State State College:

Scenario: May work at Penn State in and drive to Phila every two months or so (hometown w/ family); short daily work commute a semi-priority (less than 1/2 door to door). If it's a reverse commute even better. Shopping and night life not a big priority other than I DO like organic and natural food options like co-ops, Trader Joes and Whole Foods and your better grocery stores. Also looove take out options like sushi, thai etc. Want suburbs, but not the boonies, peace and quiet, but amenities no more then 20 mins away.

Willing to rent for a year to get to know the area, before buying. Looking for luxury apt with lots amenities in building. If I buy would be willing to give the amenities up for building equity. But wihle renting I want the best. (front desk, indoor assigned parking a must, retail shops on first floor, pool. hot tub, sauna, fitness room, etc)

1) Any of these areas an option, pros/cons: Boalsburg, Oak Hill, Lemont, Houserville, Dalevill, Linden Hall. How far away are Tusseyville, Fruittown and Potters Mills? Can't tell by the map I'm looking at.
2) Rent price range 1,500 a month. Home purchase 300,000.

Live in DC area now and from Philly so I'm used to amenities big cities can provide, like better shopping options.

Also just as an aside: I'm SINK black female how are these areas for safety and 'welcoming of diversity.' Just asking about the old saying of PA being Phila and Pittsburgh, with Alabama in the middle....and I'm from Phila. No need to live where there could be problems or I wouldn't be wanted. I am very much used to being the only minority wherever I go, and am used to upper income surroundings. My only concern is whether those with a prejudice would have a problem with me. I don't need the hassle of ignorance from people who judge by looking.

I don't know that part of the state at all. I'm PRAYING Penn State isn't stuck in the boonies
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 06:27 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
State College is 1 hr from Altoona, 1.5 hr from Williamsport, almost 2 hr from Harrisburg. There are high rise apartment blocks there but they cater to partying undergraduates.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 AM

What about the areas I named -- or some other unincorporated or little towns -- within 1/2 commute of campus? Any high-end low rise or garden style apartments complexes with attached or indoor parking. Would I have to rent a house just to get a garage? Surely there are quiet middle income-and-higher areas near by. The professors, admin, and other established professionals must live somewhere decent with no parties, and college-town issues.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:02 PM

There were a couple of posters who have offered more detailed observations, hopefully they will return since I haven't seen them posting in a while. My wife used to live in Toftrees Apartments - Welcome to State College, PA which is a much quieter area pretty close to town (and Wegmans), maybe there are newer options in the years since that have garages.

I should point out that if Harrisburg/Hershey is too suburban/rural/white for you, State College is much smaller and whiter. PSU is the state university of "Pennsyltucky" more than of all of Pennsylvania - since Pitt and Temple are also state-related, they siphon off many of the more urban university-associated folks. State College is more conservative than the average Eastern college town.

If you're not relocating with specific job prospects, others on here have mentioned that employment at PSU is hard to get into from outside the area and certainly doesn't offer compensation comparable to professions in the DC metro.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:59 PM

208 posts, read 650,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I should point out that if Harrisburg/Hershey is too suburban/rural/white for you, State College is much smaller and whiter. PSU is the state university of "Pennsyltucky" more than of all of Pennsylvania - since Pitt and Temple are also state-related, they siphon off many of the more urban university-associated folks. State College is more conservative than the average Eastern college town.
ki0eh, I am assuming that you are not a native of Pennsylvania since you are referring to it as "Pennsyltucky." Please refrain from doing that as it is demeaning to the state and those of us who live here.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:02 PM

208 posts, read 650,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
State College is 1 hr from Altoona, 1.5 hr from Williamsport, almost 2 hr from Harrisburg. There are high rise apartment blocks there but they cater to partying undergraduates.
State College is more like an hour or just over depending on traffic to Williamsport.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
ki0eh, I am assuming that you are not a native of Pennsylvania since you are referring to it as "Pennsyltucky." Please refrain from doing that as it is demeaning to the state and those of us who live here.
Although you correctly assume I grew up just outside of the borders of PA, but within the Federally defined Appalachian Region, the state I grew up in has a far worse national reputation. Plus, I happen to love both Pennsylvania and Kentucky!

If you know of an alternative shorthand description of the sections of PA excluding its two largest metro areas (and the portions of the NYC metro) that you consider less pejorative and equally well known, let us know.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
State College is more like an hour or just over depending on traffic to Williamsport.
OK, Mapquest says 1 hr 16 min Driving Directions from State College, Pennsylvania to Williamsport, Pennsylvania but I always stop at the Flying J in Lamar so that's the 1.5 hours travel time..

Old 02-16-2010, 07:01 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
To be honest, I don't think you are going to like State College.

State College has ~40,000 people. Don't take this the wrong way, but have you been to towns with 40,000 people?

In State College, there is no such thing as high end, luxury apartment complexes with pools, saunas, concierge, etc. In State College, students live in apartments. Professors and staff mostly live in single family homes with yards and garages. You can certainly rent a townhouse with a garage. But I know what you are looking for and it doesn't exist in SC. And it certainly doesn't exist in outlying communities.

Ethnic food options are limited and mediocre at best - certainly not going to please a mouth used to fine ethnic cuisine in big cities. There are sushi, thai, chinese, korean places, but they aren't that good. When I come to State College from LA to see my parents, the last thing I want to eat is ethnic food. My guess is if you're used to similar quality food in Wash DC or Phila you will be similarly disappointed.

State College is a great place to live, but it is not a city, and the urban areas are targeted at students, not professionals/staff.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 PM

IF I move it would be for a job at PS.
Ideally, I'd like upper middle class, and quiet.

I ONLY mentioned diversity because I don't want OTHERS to be nasty about someone NOT white moving in. I'm from Philly and some neighborhoods there -- even into the 1980's the first blacks in an area had houses firebombed, bricks thrown through windows, cars keyed or spray painted, etc. THAT I don't need -- OR nieghbors making up nuisance complaints, etc
As I mentioned, I've always been one of few -- and sometimes the ONLY minority in the neighborhood or classes attended. So it doesn't bother ME, if it doesn't bother THEM.
(I know this is an aside but I'm always more wary of an area if I don't know the income level. In Phila it's the lower incomes that tend to be more intolerant and ignorant on issues like this. In my experience, higher educated professionals in upper income areas tend to just think that if you can afford to live here you must want the same quality of life they do - so it's all good.)

Not knowing the PS area - away from the campus -- I don't know if it's lower income and ignorant - or middle to upper income professionals and tolerant.

Plus higher income areas tend to have better shopping options like co-ops and health food stores – not to mention independent movie theatres for limited release and other art films, and other cultural amenities.

I know may of you may not know some of the areas I’m mentioning but the Mount Airy neighborhood of phila is NATIONALLY KNOWN for it’s middle and upper income racial diversity, it’s near Chestnut Hill a high income area with high-end shopping near by, and the cultural options of Philadelphia. Mt. Airy has a very high percentage of mixed couples, and high-income earners. Former hippie/bohemian types – yet corporate types as well.

Where I live now in Bowie MD - Bowie proper has 55-thousand people -- granted in the DC Metro area. Bowie itself is a culturally diverse suburb with small-town feel – but it’s near Annapolis for better shopping, and near DC for all that city offers culturally as well.

If I have to rent a house I will - so be it. I wouldn't have to sell as much of my furniture then

Hey, Joe Pa (terno) has been at PS for 100 years -- and others make their careers there too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania