U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 06:33 AM

3,124 posts, read 5,252,815 times
Default What do you call the middle of PA?

More than a few folks have remarked on a roughly T-shaped zone in the middle of Pennsylvania that is socially and politically more conservative, and much more rural, than the large major-league metro areas Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

Let's define this area as covering area codes 717, 814, and the portion of 570 outside "the Poconos."

Having spent much of my life in this zone I recognize its diversity - Gettysburg, Youngsville, Mahanoy City, Artemas, Montrose, Quarryville, and Harrisburg are all quite different places from each other. Yet all have been bypassed by Whole Foods and IKEA, for good or ill.

I live in, love, and have deep family roots in this broadly defined region. I've noticed a couple of posts recently where some terms that have been used have been considered pejorative by other posters.

I would agree that it's better to be defined from within than from outside. Since there is some evident importance placed on a definition at this level, though, what should we call it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 08:01 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,989,929 times
I live an hour south of Harrisburg, down 81. This area is called southcentral PA. Already well known, at least around here I thought.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 51,608 times
I'm not sure if I live in this T-shaped zone or not, but I am in the 814 area code. If I were in the "T" I guess I would be on the left edge of it or left top.

Regarding your comment about being passed up by Whole Foods and IKEA, It's a lot worse than that. The area I live in is very resistant to any kind of change whether it be beneficial for the community or not. It seems to me that the community I live in wants nothing more than antique shops and family style restaurants serving truck stop food - everyone else stay out.

But the quality of life living here outweighs the minor inconveniences of traveling to acquire quality goods.

As far as what do we call it? people in the area where I live call it Western PA.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:04 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,050 posts, read 1,940,612 times
The State College Area is about as "middle of PA" as you can get.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:11 AM

24,829 posts, read 30,109,705 times
I call it "the middle of Pennsylvania," "central Pennsylvania," etc. Why is it so important to attach a label?

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM

3,124 posts, read 5,252,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefightermom View Post
I live an hour south of Harrisburg, down 81. This area is called southcentral PA. Already well known, at least around here I thought.
I'm looking one level up on the geographic scale, for the answer to "PA is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and [blank] in between".

Old 02-18-2010, 02:36 PM

7,459 posts, read 10,863,512 times
ki0eh wrote:
What do you call the middle of PA?

and

I'm looking one level up on the geographic scale, for the answer to "PA is Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and [blank] in between".
As the saying goes, PA has Philly in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:45 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,339,058 times
More like conservative in the central and the "progressive, liberal and elite" in the east and western part of the state... Glad I was born and raised in the central part. Couldn't handle all the fame and pressure of knowing what's best for the others!!

Old 02-18-2010, 05:16 PM

16,401 posts, read 15,167,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
I'm not sure if I live in this T-shaped zone or not, but I am in the 814 area code. If I were in the "T" I guess I would be on the left edge of it or left top.

Regarding your comment about being passed up by Whole Foods and IKEA, It's a lot worse than that. The area I live in is very resistant to any kind of change whether it be beneficial for the community or not. It seems to me that the community I live in wants nothing more than antique shops and family style restaurants serving truck stop food - everyone else stay out.

But the quality of life living here outweighs the minor inconveniences of traveling to acquire quality goods.

As far as what do we call it? people in the area where I live call it Western PA.
Yep, you're in it. And yep, that's what happened to the economy when the mines and factories started to close in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
ki0eh wrote:
What do you call the middle of PA?

and

As the saying goes, PA has Philly in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in between.
James Carville made that quote famous. He's also worried that people will see his winkie with the new airport scanning machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnepler View Post
More like conservative in the central and the "progressive, liberal and elite" in the east and western part of the state... Glad I was born and raised in the central part. Couldn't handle all the fame and pressure of knowing what's best for the others!!
Me too.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:38 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,439,402 times
I believe the term is Pennsyltucky. At least that's what they say here in Philly.

<LI class="g w0">[SIZE=3]Pennsyltucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE] "Pennsyltucky" is a slang word to refer to the rural part of the state of Pennsylvania outside the Pittsburgh and Philadelphia metropolitan areas, ...

Last edited by bryson662001; 02-18-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania