U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2007, 03:55 AM

3 posts, read 22,230 times
Question Blandon, PA?

Can someone tell me about Blandon, Pennsylvania? Is it a nice area? Family friendly? How is the crime rate? Population? Is there much diversity there? Public Transportation? How long does a drive into New York take? I just need a general overview of the area. It appears that Blandon is a suburban area not too far from Reading...is that correct? Thanks for any information that you can share with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:03 AM

10,868 posts, read 7,549,291 times
Blandon is pretty rural with many farms although the route 222 corridor gets VERY traffic congested. There are alot of new housing developments near Fleetwood, although older homes and houses of many types can be found in the town and older suburbs. Crime is pretty low, violent crime anyway, although criminal elements come in from NYC on their way to Reading and vice versa. Diversity? Lots of Pa dutch. I doubt there's much( if any) public transportation. It's nice enough, although something of a backwater compared to Kutztown or Fleetwood.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 22,230 times
Default Thanks for the info Ice Tea

Thanks for telling me a little about Blandon and surrounding area. It actually sounds like a nice area, from what I can tell. I know that PA. is lovely for the most part. How far is Blandon from Reading? I am concerned because people post things about crime in Reading all the time, but I do wonder about violent crime and such. Property crime is everywhere, even in Lincoln, NE. where I was raised and still live. Lincoln is about 250,000 or a little less and violent crime is quite low here. We have maybe 5 murders a year in the area, many times not that many. Omaha, about 50 miles away is larger, therefore has quite a lot more crime.
If you can think of any other info. to share with me, please do so.
I do have a cousin in East Stroudsberg, which I don't think is very close, but have been there and found it to be a delightful area.
Thanks again,
Steph.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:29 PM

94 posts, read 346,330 times
Take a drive through a few times, near WalMart and northward on 222. Make sure you can deal with the "emissions" from the Giorgio mushroom company. There are some different "aromas", some worse than others. There are houses right across the street from the place. My hat's off to them, I don't know how people live there, but I've grown accustomed somewhat to at least drive through. It's pretty funny how my young daughters react sometimes.

It may not always be pleasant, but it's not pollution!

Old 06-07-2007, 07:33 PM

94 posts, read 346,330 times
Giving some thought to that, Giorgio's in Temple, not Blandon, but sure close enough to have an effect.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:23 PM

115 posts, read 128,384 times
Don't be concerned about any crime overflow from Reading. You're far enough out that it really won't be an issue. My parents lived near Fleetwood for a number of years. And my husband's family is in Leesport, so I've driven through Blandon many a time.

Definitely be sure that you get a home well away from the mushroom houses. I completely agree with the previous poster. The aroma can knock you over during the summer sometimes.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 7,894 times
I just wanted to post a short story about the mushroom aroma outside Reading. I had never been there and needed to go to lowes and pick up some material for a job I was doing in Kutztwon. I stopped in to a dinner on Rt. 12 ? I think - anyhow be care full the folks there are pretty protective of their community, while paying for my coffee I tried to be as polite to the manager as I could and under my berath I told him that his garbage out back was "out of Control". He really should do something about it before the health inspector was notified. He demanaded that his garbage was fine and did not stink. I said he was mistaken and on our way out the front door I stopped him in the foyer-"We really don't need to go out side I can smell your garbage from here." He laughed and simply said "no garbage-MUSHROOMS!" Of course I told him to put the mushrooms in a bag before he threw them out. He said "no garbage-Mushrooms!. Apperntely the folks there can't even smell it.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 AM

4 posts, read 11,870 times
Hello, I am possibly taking a position in the City Centre area of Philadelphia and am wanting to live in the Blandon / Princetown / Fleetwood area. Can someone please tell me if this is a crazy commute? Keep in mind, I've lived in Houston my whole life, and deal with some crazy big city traffic. Google maps tells me that its an hour and half roughly. What is the suggested best/quickest routes?

Also, would love any additional information on suggestions for find maybe commute solutions for others who might commute into Philly from the area.

Last edited by Moregan; 09-16-2009 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: making search easier

Old 09-16-2009, 09:59 PM

884 posts, read 1,335,101 times
I think you mean Pricetown, not Princetown.

Blandon / Pricetown / Fleetwood to Center City Philly will be a crazy and loooooooong commute. The route (Blandon to Center City) will be Rt-662 (a country road all the way) to Rt-422 (limited access highway except for last 1/4 mile in Douglasville, 422 is posted at 55 MPH and there are regular police speed checks) to I-76 (a heavily traveled urban interstate going right into the heart of the city), to I-676 (depending on your exact destination in center city).

Local names used on traffic reports (1060 AM): I-76 is the "Schuylkill Expressway" northwest of the city center (where it parallels the Schuylkill River), and I-676 is the "Vine Street Expressway".

On a good day with usual and normal traffic, I'd say 1 hr 30 min each way. If you were to drive this with no traffic whatsoever, say at 2:00 am in the morning, it would take you maybe 60 to 70 minutes. If you were to hit a severe bottleneck, and there are several that are normal, regular and routine ones, add some more time:

Traffic Bottlenecks,
Inbound:
Rt 422 around Oaks, PA, and again where 422 merges with I-76
I-76 at the so-called Conshohocken Curve.
I-76 from app, Rt-1 all the way into Center City Phila.

Outbound:
I-76 from center city Phila to the Conshohocken Curve.
Rt-422 from I-76 to Betzwood/Valley Forge exit.
And several traffic lights that will slow things coming down into Douglasville (where 422 goes from a limited access highway to a highway with businesses and stoplights).

Provided your hours allow it, there is a possibility you can drive part way to a commuter train station, park, and take the commuter train (SEPTA "Regional Rail") into center city Phila. It would save you from the stop and go traffic on I-76, which would be the worst of the entire drive. From the direction you'd be coming in the morning, you'd have to divert south to the stations along Rt-30 (the R5 line, Strafford might be a good station, station stops go all the way west to Downingtown), or east-northeast into Norristown (the terminus of the R6 line).

The Rt-422 corridor has grown faster than they have gotten commuter rail into that area, there's about a 20 or 30 year lag.

Between Blandon / Pricetown / Fleetwood and the closer-in suburbs of the city, there are probably 50 to 75 different communities you can live in, that will make a commute shorter and less stressful.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:54 AM

69 posts, read 239,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moregan View Post
Hello, I am possibly taking a position in the City Centre area of Philadelphia and am wanting to live in the Blandon / Princetown / Fleetwood area. Can someone please tell me if this is a crazy commute? Keep in mind, I've lived in Houston my whole life, and deal with some crazy big city traffic. Google maps tells me that its an hour and half roughly. What is the suggested best/quickest routes?

Also, would love any additional information on suggestions for find maybe commute solutions for others who might commute into Philly from the area.

The best you could hope for is that the R-6 extension will someday have rail service in berks county.

planning: R6 Study - Study Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania