Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,065,860 times

Advertisements

I once lived in this area, but I am doing a recap since its been 5 yrs since I lived here.
When I lived in Johnstown/Indiana area, these were my negatives:

Dreary ****ty winters
People seemed clique since it was a small town type area
No jobs
PA people I didnt find were very direct with you but not exactly passive agressive either

Positives:

Food was pretty good considering this was a predominantly country area
Cheap beer everywhere!
Great ice cream
Livable area
Low crime (Westmont/Richland/Indiana area)
EXCEPTIONAL punk/indie/alternative scene (for a small town pro gun hicky type area especially)

Looking at it now:

Negatives:

****ty winters
People are doom and gloom still most likely even 5 yrs later and similar to when I left

IF I were to return, I actually wouldnt find the people to be so bad because I lived in FL these last 5 yrs and there is a definite me first attitude in FL NTM PA people do stop and check on you if you look to be in trouble on the side of the road. I will say that you dont get this in FL. It doesnt mean they will become your best friend, but I think if one can deal with the winters there and stay, one can make friends. I think its one of those places where you cant be there for a yr and a half and expect to make friends due to the tightknit ness, probably 5 yrs to get best results socially. When I took off to FL, I thought socially it be better for me, but here I am 5 yrs later without a stable friend base so.. I made friends but they kept moving out or I had to cut them off because they had drug problems or whatever. At least in PA, some stable people existed.
It has the livability of the NW only drawback is THE WINTERS. Economically looking 5 yrs ahead, Johnstown doesnt seem so awful. I always thought Johnstown operated on a who knew who basis when it came to getting a job and it does, but I also find FL is doing the same many places now too with this horrible recession/depression.
I learned some things over the years, and I can say that Johnstown will never get credit, but it has hope to get better for sure and has some good people living in the area. NTM houses are still cheap so its looking better in the recession for sure. My mom fleed PA due to the ****ty winters which is a reasonable reason to leave PA, but it was also because she wanted to catch the FL housing situation which ended up being a ponzi scheme so it looked like shed make back lots of money which didnt look to be the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 06:16 AM

67 posts, read 198,680 times
Thank you for this post, DrRain. We'll be retiring this year and plan to head back to PA and family. We will end up in either the Johnstown or Altoona area, and from what we can see Johnstown has it, hands down, when it comes to affordable housing. Everything in Altoona just looks so raggedy, unless you're willing to spend over $100K which we won't be able to do. We'll just have to get used to the ****ty winters. About how long do they last?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:45 PM

139 posts, read 365,930 times
Default Winters not so bad

Winter in PA is very mild compared to other places I've lived, like Upstate NY, Anchorage, AK, and Laramie, WY. If you can stand stepping in a few very cold slush puddles and getting your shoes wet a few times, you can stand it. This past winter has been very out of the ordinary. Get a hat that goes down over your ears, lots of gloves (because they always seem to get lost), and a soft scarf, and you will be fine.
I am packing the truck Monday and starting to drive up to Johnstown on Tuesday--no place to live yet, but have some leads. Keep your fingers crossed for me (and the dogs and cats)--Yay! I am so excited...
Gobs, hoagies, Pizza Barn pizza, french fries and gravy, here I come!

Last edited by NoMoss; 03-18-2010 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: wanted to add

Old 03-19-2010, 07:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Interesting to learn that Johnstown has a punk/indie/alternative scene. Pittsburghers would love to hear that since Johnstown is within driving distance.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM

137 posts, read 366,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Interesting to learn that Johnstown has a punk/indie/alternative scene. Pittsburghers would love to hear that since Johnstown is within driving distance.
I grew up there. Most people are out of there as soon as they graduate high school, so the "scene" is really just high school kids putting on punk shows at local rented fire halls. I used to take part when I was a kid and it was always fun. But it's not something that would merit a trip from Pittsburgh.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:41 AM

67 posts, read 198,680 times
Go, NoMoss, go! You are a braver soul than I. We're not so adventurous as to head up there without a house waiting for us. Keep us posted on how it goes. We'll be up there in a few months for some serious house-hunting.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 48,600 times
We are also moving to this area in a few months. Can anyone give suggestions on who to contact to find a nice rental house or townhouse? We need a 3 bed 2 bath that allows dogs.
thanks.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM

139 posts, read 365,930 times
Default don't give up

Quote:
We are also moving to this area in a few months. Can anyone give suggestions on who to contact to find a nice rental house or townhouse? We need a 3 bed 2 bath that allows dogs.
Linds09: I just moved into a 3Bd, 1Ba that allows dogs, but I found it because I had actually called about another place that was not really suitable and was not going to be available for a month, but this landlord had just bought this house and called me back to suggest it instead. I have been here 3 days and they still haven't moved my stove in yet, but they rushed to get it painted and carpeted in time for me to move in just a week after I arrived in PA, so...my suggestion is to call EVERYONE and just check if they have anything coming available soon--I had another lead on a place (but unfortunately, I did not save his number...it might be in my sister's phone if you would like me to look) that fell through, but you never know. I must have made 50 calls over two months to find this one place...so don't give up!

Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 AM

199 posts, read 712,304 times
Default house hunting trip

Before I actually moved to Gallitzin, I took a trip of 13 days to purchase a home. Everything was handled through either the mail or the computer and we arrived from our cross country trip 1.5 days prior to closing and possession. If you are looking in the Johnstown or Altoona area, contact someone at Lang Realty (814) 886-8111)in Cresson. Great realtors there, they can help you out. Also, the smaller towns between Johnstown and Altoona are great and there are some great bargains to be hand. Ebensburg (the County seat is lovely) many stately, historic homes, lovely town, close to shopping and halfway between Johnstown and Altoona via the interstates. Cresson is lovely also, lots or community activities and lots of cultural opportunities at the colleges, St. Francis, Mount Alloysis (ssp?), UIP, Penn State, Curve Baseball in Altoona, (great stadium new and wonderful food). Many Cambria County and Blair County small towns where your house money will go much further than you think. Small town living is great after 35 years in SoCal.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 AM

13 posts, read 42,641 times
The winters seem to last forever, from October until April or May. It can still snow in April or May here. This winter was particularly horrible with snow every single day, lots of it. The one positive thing I can say is they do keep the roads pretty clear here so it is easy to get around when it does snow, but if you live here, you had better get a 4-wheel drive vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania