Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:29 AM

6 posts, read 24,891 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother in my mid-40's looking to relocate towards end of August 2010. Just want to move so that my children 18 and 8 will have more opportunity in life. I am from a very small town in CO. and decided that nows the time. I would love to hear any suggestions on Elementary Schools, rentals, weather etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 AM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,461 times
Reading is more of a small city than a small town. Rent will run around $750-$950. Weather is cold and miserable in winter, but is outstanding in May and June. Much more rain and humidity than CO.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:29 AM

Thank you

Old 04-14-2010, 05:20 PM

35 posts, read 49,697 times
I went to Kutztown University which is nearby and lived around the area including Reading itself for a few years. Overall I really liked it.

Reading is a beautiful mid sized Pennsylvania city, in my opinion the best one. The city with Mt Penn and the Pagoda overlooking it is just awesome. The location is good too. Easy drives to Philly and New York as well as the Appalachian trail. The Pinnacle and Hawk Mountain are neat...won't compare to the Rockies of course but they make for some good short hikes that kids could do.

Reading does have a crime problem but so do all the cities in that region. Crime varies by neighborhood. Center city at night can be bad. But a lot of the outer areas are just fine. I never had any problems during my stay. I lived uphill at Mt Penn Manor. Felt perfectly safe up there.

I've heard about some problems with the Reading schools. I had a relative that taught in Reading and he didn't like it. This is probably the major downside to living in the city itself. Hopefully someone here can recommend some schools to you.

The sorrounding suburbs are supposedly very safe with good schools. They can get very expensive though. Unfortunately I do not know them too well.

You could also try Kutztown. It's a smaller town but still close to Reading and Allentown. Schools are supposedly pretty good. It also has the university and a big cultural fair in the summer. Crystal cave is pretty neat too.

The weather in the area shouldn't be a problem compared to what you get out there in Colorado. The locals tend to freak out every time there's a little snow but largely I think the winters in the Reading area are very tame (I've lived in Casper WY and near upstate NY so I'm used to bad winters). This last season southern PA did see some big snow storms so it can happen but most of the time you'll just get a few inches of snow at a time. It does get hot and humid in the summer.

I hope this helps. I would go back down to Berks county but I'm into peak bagging so I'm trying to move up near the Adirondacks. Still, Reading will always have a place in my heart.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
Welcome! Reading - the city - just isn't that great. But it's not the worst area because it's so easy to get OUT. You''ll be within driving distance of most of the east coast's most major cities. There isn't much arts/culturally that you can't find to do. I'm not in love with the parks system or most outdoor recreational options, but again, you can always get in your car and drive somewhere. We live well outside the city (that Kutztown area mentioned above).

Old 04-20-2010, 03:09 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
I can't imagine why you would leave one of the most majestic, beautiful areas in the country to come to Reading.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:35 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,938,680 times
Don't do it.

Summers are humid and winters are dreary.

The sun is always shining on Colorado. Move to Fort Collins.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks for each and everyones input. Very much appreciated and very helpful!

Old 05-03-2010, 12:27 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I grew up in Berks county and I'm currently living in western Colorado. I strongly prefer my Colorado lifestyle. Spring and fall are pretty nice in Berks county, but then you gotta pay for it with summer and winter. Summers are very humid, and winters are damp and gray. The dry, sunny climate in Colorado suits my tastes much better. Good luck to you if you decide to move to PA, but don't buy any real estate there until you've been thru a summer and a winter to make sure you are OK with the climate. It's a whole new ballgame compared to what you are used to in Colorado.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:50 PM

90 posts, read 262,576 times
The grass is greener in PA but the "grass may not be greener", if ya know what I mean. Change never hurt anyone tho, so go for it. You must have your reasons to leave one of my favorite states. Good news, the weather in PA is pretty mild. 4 distinct seasons, mild weather events; you probably won't miss the brown you see in CO. It is beautifully green and flowery here now, for example. Also, we have a little of everything here, small mountains (Bear Creek Mtn is near to Reading but is basically a bump--altho is a very successful ski/board area, especially for teens), ocean within 2 hours, lakes, etc. Good bike trails and parks; fun things to do all year round. Down side, is this part of PA is expensive compared to CO; everything will be more expensive. It is more populated too. You will be shocked what we consider traffic and what you consider traffic. And, for your 18 yo, you will be giving up a pretty sweet deal you now have in CO for tuition breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania