Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 7,759 times

Advertisements

My fiancee and would like to do a somewhat traditional Slovak wedding in '08.He's pureblood and I think it would be a funtime for all. Looking for a dress pattern,ceremony,preacher,general info and....yes, a polka band.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
Hey, I think this sounds like a great idea! I am of the slovak decent, sorry I don't have any dieas but I wish you all the luck! I think the polka band sounds GREAT! God Bless and good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM

59 posts, read 311,939 times
Depending on where you are, you may be able to find a slovak church, if you need a priest who can speak it, that may cause a bit of a bind, but there's gotta be one out there somewhere in pennsylvania, even if hes a retired one. Polka bands? You are certainly in the right state for one of those. Be careful though, many of the bands in PA are of the "polish" style(YES, there are different styles, believe it or not, if you need more info on a polka band, PM me,because I can probably direct you in the way of several good bands who play the "slovak style", it also seems like plenty of other people around here on the forum are polish or german or the european like and may be able to help you, i wont waste forum space with my polka and heritage interests unless people ask me to).

Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,552 times
This wedding resource site should give you some info, as well: Weddings and wedding planning! Wedding dresses, engagement rings, wedding cakes and more., with all sorts of local resources.

Congratulations & good luck... VV

Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 AM

253 posts, read 996,696 times
Default Preacher

I have the name of a Slovak Priest - I'll send to you in a PM, so please check.

What part of Pennsyvlania are you in?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:47 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,685,671 times
A slovak wedding? All you need is Stuffed cabbage, pyrohi, haluski, and lots of beer. Send me an invitation.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 AM

28 posts, read 103,007 times
I always loved the Bridal Dance. In my family, the mother of the bride removed the brides veil and the mother-in-law ties on her babushka in its place, signifying she's a married woman now.

The Maid of Honor sits in a chair and collects money for dances with the bride. As yopu are finished dancing, you form a circle aroun the bride. When all are done, the groom (who was removed fromt he room) is allowed back in and has to try to break through the crowd to get to the bride. Only after he throws his wallet into the apron (signifying - it's all hers anyway) is he allowd to take his bride away.

I've seen those dances get pretty rough at the end - especially if all the guys have had more brew-shkies than halushkies.

It's great fun though. Best wishes on your upcomming marriage.

Linda

Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 AM

253 posts, read 996,696 times
I love that too!!! I tried to convince my folks that I wanted that at my wedding, (I'm 75% Slovak), but being as the wedding was in NJ, they didn't think the Jersey crowd would understand it

Old 06-14-2007, 07:19 PM

130 posts, read 310,293 times
I was married in a Slovak church in Reading. Saints Cyril and Methodius on South 6th Street.

I think your wedding plans sound great. When I was a little girl, mass was in Slovak every morning and several masses on Sunday. But as the older generation passed on it seemed like fewer and fewer spoke the language.

Best of luck to you. I hope you have a wonderful wedding.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeAgainInWestPittston View Post
I always loved the Bridal Dance. In my family, the mother of the bride removed the brides veil and the mother-in-law ties on her babushka in its place, signifying she's a married woman now.

The Maid of Honor sits in a chair and collects money for dances with the bride. As yopu are finished dancing, you form a circle aroun the bride. When all are done, the groom (who was removed fromt he room) is allowed back in and has to try to break through the crowd to get to the bride. Only after he throws his wallet into the apron (signifying - it's all hers anyway) is he allowd to take his bride away.

I've seen those dances get pretty rough at the end - especially if all the guys have had more brew-shkies than halushkies.
Whoa! Childhood flashback!

I went to a wedding in Northern Cambria (called Spangler at the time) an area where I have lots of family) when I was a little kid and remember these things (minus the babushka, though that may have happened too) and just assuming all weddings were like this considering this was the first wedding I ever went to. I have a question though. Is this a Slovak tradition or a Polish one? I had always been under the impression that the wedding I went to was a Polish one but I could have very well been wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania