Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 21,686 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a house on North 4th street in Lewisburg (one is in the 200 block the other is in the 500 block) and I'm wondering how much of an issue flooding is there. The disclosure form claims that it is in flood zone X, which is alright, although the FEMA website says high risk. Anyone who lives in downtown Lewisburg know anything about how often the town is flooded and how extensively? Also is Flood Insurance mandatory? Any advice would be appreciated. If the flooding issue is too much we will consider Danville instead (Bloom Road area). Thank you in advance for any possible assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Can't speak specifically to Lewisburg but flood insurance will be required by your mortgagor if you're in the high risk zone. If you're not carrying a mortgage I would still advise you to have it. A number of people here didn't have it (they'd paid off their mortgage and cancelled it, they'd paid cash for the house) when TS Isabel rolled through a few years ago. They came to regret their decision.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,690,456 times
I looked at a map thinking I could help you out with your question, but I'm must not sure. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing. I do know that flooding is sometimes an issue in the area of the St. Anthony Street Park, which is closer to the river. However, there are also issues around St. Mary Street on both sides of Route 15, which is not that far from the 200 block of North 4th Street.

Hopefully someone else can help you out. I'm not sure what X means as a flood zone designation. Usually it's A, B or C, with A being the highest risk.

Have you actually been in these houses? If so, did you look for mud lines in the basements or indications that they had been wet? What about talking to the neighbors?

I do know that the Susquehanna River has undergone remapping of flood zones within the past couple years and areas that were not considered flood zones before are now considered to be flood zones. If you check with the Lewisburg Borough office they should be able to tell you what their maps say; they should have the most recently updated copies on file.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:29 PM

393 posts, read 1,529,943 times
I lived in Lewisburg during the floods of '72 and '75.

4th St is out of the flood zone except for maybe the extreme northern part of the street. That area is near what is called Beck's Hill. That is a low lying area where the dump used to be and can get bad flooding from Buffalo Creek. 4th Street, from St Anthony St. towards Market Street always remains out of the flood area. I'm pretty sure 4th St north of St. Anthony is dry too.

The only instance on 4th St was during the '72 flood was when a lady was in her basement and the wall collapsed that killed her.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks susquehannok.
The house we are looking at is actually at the most northern top of North 4th street, close to the Baffalo Creek. So you are saying that would be a bad choice for buying a house because of flooding issues? The address is 502 N. 4th street, near the Dunkin Donuts.
Thanks again for all your help!

Old 04-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I looked at a map thinking I could help you out with your question, but I'm must not sure. I don't want to tell you the wrong thing. I do know that flooding is sometimes an issue in the area of the St. Anthony Street Park, which is closer to the river. However, there are also issues around St. Mary Street on both sides of Route 15, which is not that far from the 200 block of North 4th Street.

Hopefully someone else can help you out. I'm not sure what X means as a flood zone designation. Usually it's A, B or C, with A being the highest risk.

Have you actually been in these houses? If so, did you look for mud lines in the basements or indications that they had been wet? What about talking to the neighbors?

I do know that the Susquehanna River has undergone remapping of flood zones within the past couple years and areas that were not considered flood zones before are now considered to be flood zones. If you check with the Lewisburg Borough office they should be able to tell you what their maps say; they should have the most recently updated copies on file.
Dawne, thanks for the info. We are going to see the house next week.
The agent assured us the house is not in the flood zone although I have my doubts as it is close to buffalo creek (500 block of north 4th st.).
I called the borough, the woman didn't have much info she gave me some other number for zoning office and I havent called them. I know zone X means moderate to low risk from FEMA maps.

Thanks for your help!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM

393 posts, read 1,529,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eallison9 View Post
Thanks susquehannok.
The house we are looking at is actually at the most northern top of North 4th street, close to the Baffalo Creek. So you are saying that would be a bad choice for buying a house because of flooding issues? The address is 502 N. 4th street, near the Dunkin Donuts.
Thanks again for all your help!
I think that area is fairly elevated above the creek. If I remember correctly, (it was a long time ago) the water did flood across 15 in the area where BZ Motors now is. Don't take my word for the gospel, but that's what I seem to remember about it. I think your area is safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania