Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 11:36 AM

4 posts, read 27,689 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving to Doylestown, PA but we are open to suggestions on any of the surrounding areas. We have been living in Scottsdale, AZ for the last 6 years and are tired of the allergies, really poor air quality and the long hot summers. My husband is originally from Milford Nj and still has family there. We would like to live close enough to them to visit but not too close.

We have a 5 year old daughter just starting Kinder so great schools are important. We may rent for a year and then buy, not sure yet. We are looking for at least a half acre, 3 or more bedrooms for up to $450K. We love the outdoors; we love to hike, bike etc. We would also like to live close to shopping, restaurants, good yoga studio etc.

What's the cost of living like there? ie: Property taxes, homeowners insurance etc.? What are good areas that fit our criteria in Bucks County?

Any information on the area will be very appreciated! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,421,803 times
I think you'd get more answers to your questions if you posted over on the Philadelphia forum.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:41 PM

20 posts, read 79,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertskiesaz View Post
We are thinking about moving to Doylestown, PA but we are open to suggestions on any of the surrounding areas. We have been living in Scottsdale, AZ for the last 6 years and are tired of the allergies, really poor air quality and the long hot summers. My husband is originally from Milford Nj and still has family there. We would like to live close enough to them to visit but not too close.

We have a 5 year old daughter just starting Kinder so great schools are important. We may rent for a year and then buy, not sure yet. We are looking for at least a half acre, 3 or more bedrooms for up to $450K. We love the outdoors; we love to hike, bike etc. We would also like to live close to shopping, restaurants, good yoga studio etc.

What's the cost of living like there? ie: Property taxes, homeowners insurance etc.? What are good areas that fit our criteria in Bucks County?

Any information on the area will be very appreciated! Thank you!

The taxes would be about 5-6k but it depends on the exact district. Iinsurance would be about 2.5k.

That area is great. The cost of living is probably high compared to most area but cheap compared to NY, Boston of SF.

I would also recommend Chestnut Hill, New Hope, Lambertville(NJ), Ambler or Jenkintown.

Ambler is cheaper than Doylestown but still close.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 30,992 times
We live in Doylestown currently. We are actually moving b/c of my husbands job and we are sad! It has been a great place to live

My oldest son is 5 and the school district here (central bucks) is top notch. Right now the prices are really good on homes, and there are alot of homes available (there were quite a few layoffs in the PHARMA industry and quite a few PHARMA peeps live in Buckingham/Doylestown). For that much land, you wouldn't want to live right in Doylestown, but a few minutes out...we live in Buckingham Township (still a Doylestown address) and live on almost an acre, 4 bdrm house with a den. Close enough to shopping (depending what kind of shopping you do!), there is a GREAT gym/yoga/pilates studio in Solebury that we belong to just down the way. Restaurants are great....HONEY in Doylestown is by far the best restaurant I've ever been to! And you are still so close to anything rural (farms for berry and apple picking for example) and also biking etc.

Taxes are lower than NJ, but higher than AZ....probably 6K with that size house. And you might find that groceries etc are a little inflated but not too bad.

I love New Hope/Lambertville but they are less family oriented in my opinion. We love to visit but it's more of a date night and when-relatives-are-visiting place to me.

One thing I wanted to mention though....the pollen index here is HIGH...not sure what kind of allergies you have but the spring here is deadly for pollen!

Hope that helps!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowyouhaveyourhandsfull View Post
One thing I wanted to mention though....the pollen index here is HIGH...not sure what kind of allergies you have but the spring here is deadly for pollen!
She lives in Scottsdale, AZ. Clearly, she's allergic to cacti and speed cameras.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 PM

67 posts, read 337,048 times
I also assume that the HIGH rain amount washes the pollen out of the air. I know she will miss the sun shine and blue skies of AZ. Considering her name, she will miss it a lot!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM

203 posts, read 597,135 times
Doylestown is a great suburban area with little to complain about. The entire surrounding area is very nice. If Doylestown is too expensive for you a lot of the surrounding area can be a little less costly but you can definately live in Doylestown if you're willing to pay up to $450,000. I recently moved away from the area. Winter is way too long and the summer season is way too short. Fall in Bucks county is beautiful.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:49 PM

81 posts, read 230,604 times
Scottsdale to PA hmmm, sounds crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania