Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,319 times

Advertisements

Hi Paul,
Greetings from the over taxed state next door. Thank you so much for the photo tour of Billport! And ignore the comments of the ones that do not appreciate it! You are helping to make my potential move up there less dreaded. I am coming up this weekend to look at houses and am amazed at the homes there. The town I live in used to be like that too. Massive homes on large lots with Tiffany everywhere. There are still pockets here and there, but no commercial area to speak of. I had no idea that Billport was that nice.
Thanks!
Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 05:18 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnjjeff View Post
Hi Paul,
Greetings from the over taxed state next door. Thank you so much for the photo tour of Billport! And ignore the comments of the ones that do not appreciate it! You are helping to make my potential move up there less dreaded. I am coming up this weekend to look at houses and am amazed at the homes there. The town I live in used to be like that too. Massive homes on large lots with Tiffany everywhere. There are still pockets here and there, but no commercial area to speak of. I had no idea that Billport was that nice.
Thanks!
Jeff
I'm pleased that I gave you a reason to look forward to your visit to Williamsport. Granted, it's not all "puppy dogs and ice cream" as I portrayed in my tour, but considering I was always told what a "trash dump" the place was I came with abysmally low expectations and left pleasantly surprised, to say the least. One thing you'll soon learn about native Pennsylvanians is that they're chronic "whiners." Many haven't done much traveling to see truly "awful" areas, so they don't have any way to benchmark their own grievances to the shortcomings of other areas. Scranton is very representative of this. Yes, it chugs slowly along, but for a city of 72,500 in a metro area of over 550,000, it's not doing all that terribly. Nevertheless you'll hear nothing but "this place sucks" from many on the NEPA forum.

Granted I'm seeking to relocate to the DC Metro myself, but it won't be a permanent move. I just want to get out and experience an area with like-minded young professional types in a thriving metropolis while I'm still able to; when I'm earning the "big bucks" I fully intend to head back to Scranton and purchase a Victorian home there outright. Williamsport has so much to offer, and yet most residents just prefer to look at the negative aspects of the city. I never understood why our state has such low self-esteem.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,319 times
Paul,
I think the whiners in PA should switch positions and move to NJ for a year or 2. They will come running back to PA with smiles of appreciation for how "bad" it is there. Let them pay 10 or 20 grand a year in property taxes and 200K for a 1 bed condo. They will think NEPA is Paradise! We may have some great beaches, but who can afford to go to them?? PA is looking better and better.
Jeff

Old 02-11-2009, 11:55 AM

172 posts, read 609,460 times
As an Alabama native who LOVES Pennsylvania, I enjoyed seeing these pictures. I haven't been to Williamsport in several years, so this was nice. Thank you. As for your photo tour of W. Pittston, I enjoyed it, as I do all of your photo tours. I truly miss PA when I'm not there and your pix are greatly appreciated. I do hope you will continue these tours.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times
Hello. My complements to you on your handsome photographs of some really interesting towns. It’s very difficult to photograph an entire town and do it justice. In addition, you coordinated your Williamsport photos with the historic district guide. Very nice job. As other fine folks have suggested, ignore the slugs who denigrate your work, particularly when they do it behind your back. Anyone that spineless will probably come back as termites in their next life.

Sometimes those district guides are a little misleading because of space limitations. For example, the Second Empire house by Isaac Hobbs in Williamsport was altered, probably in the 1890’s, with the replacement of its original bracketed porch by one in the Queen Ann style. Not a sympathetic alteration, but very interesting as a clash of styles. Hobbs is important because as a respected Philadelphia architect, he designed many buildings across the Pennsylvania - New Jersey - New York region, and influenced the work of local architects like Williamsport’s Culver. Dover has reprinted his 1876 style pattern book, Hobb’s Architecture. Lots of fun to look at his designs and compare them to Culver’s.

Please keep up your good work. Gregory Hubbard

Last edited by gregory hubbard; 03-03-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: trying to remove edit notes

Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,856 times
I am a resident of Williamsport. I believe that the pictures are great. There have been many changes since they were done. The mural on the side of the brewery is much bigger and more beautiful. There is also a big movie theater downtown where the demolition was at. I believe that you did a great job. You are also missing some houses on Millionares Row. Thanks for the pics though.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
neat, thanks for the pics. maybe I'll visit williamsport someday, something I never would have thought to do without your pictures.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeswife09 View Post
I am a resident of Williamsport. I believe that the pictures are great. There have been many changes since they were done. The mural on the side of the brewery is much bigger and more beautiful. There is also a big movie theater downtown where the demolition was at. I believe that you did a great job. You are also missing some houses on Millionares Row. Thanks for the pics though.

I'm glad you enjoyed the tour, and hopefully it gave you a fresh perspective on Billtown besides all of the chronic negativity and whining you are probably accustomed to hearing from some of your fellow townspeople. Williamsport is the type of place I'd love to retire to someday. It's just small enough to avoid the traffic congestion, high crime, high housing prices, attitudes, etc., but it's still large enough to have a couple of college, a small bit of diversity, cultural venues, entertainment, etc.

What I think would REALLY help Williamsport to boom would be more "urban"-styled living options (think lofts with interior bricks and exposed duct work, condos, apartments, etc.) in and around the downtown area. That hulking vacant (yet historic) building I photographed on West Fourth Street would be perfect reinvented into loft housing, and some new mid-rise buildings downtown would be awesome as well. Downtown IS liveable in Williamsport now that you have a Wegman's, movie theater, restaurants, cultural amenities (and potentially an upcoming Kohl's?) within a walkable area. This would be a magnet for younger people fresh out of college or even empty-nesters looking to downsize from the old family homesteads in Muncy or Montoursville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
neat, thanks for the pics. maybe I'll visit williamsport someday, something I never would have thought to do without your pictures.
It would be a nice weekend getaway. You could spend a couple of hours admiring the historic district, grab a bite to eat at the Bullfrog Brewery, see a show at the Community Arts Center, enjoy the Hiawatha river boat, explore the scenic backroads outside of town, etc.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
I'm just seeing this photo tour now. You did a great job. I have been hoping to visit Williamsport some weekend soon. It looks like a nice town.

I wonder if the "Starlight Ballroom" has been redeveloped, or if it's still vacant? Anyone know?

Old 07-08-2012, 07:35 AM

130 posts, read 251,833 times
Wow Williamsport looks really nice but folks Scranton is a dump. I have been to other areas and it only confirms it. There's no life in Scranton it's not vibrant it is dirty and the roads are embarrassing, he local politicians are so corrupt taxes are set to increase by 70% ! There's no cool shops or any reason to get out and walk in downtown Scranton. The steamtown mall is a haven for thugs and crime making it unwelcoming for families. It is just a dead area thats all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania