Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 13,696 times

Advertisements

My family (my husband, my babies, and myself) are thinking about moving from Illinois to Gulf Breeze, FL. We have some family members down there, love the town and love Florida itself. Our babies are four and two years old. Everything I have read about Gulf Breeze is that it has low crime rate, grade A schools, it is beautiful, nice people. Wanting to know more about Gulf Breeze. Anything you can tell me would help. Jobs? Schools? Crime? Pensacola Crime? Whatever you can tell me could help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 13,644 times
To be honest, the job situation is not great. I grew up here and have recently moved back. After job searching for almost 8 months, my husband and I decided to start our own business. With the oil situation, a lot of places are not hiring; they are laying off. Depends on your field. If you're in the medical profession (RN, PT, etc) you will be fine. TONS of those kinds of jobs. Not so good for us marketing folks.
The schools in Gulf Breeze are top notch. (Two Elementary Schools, one Middle, one High School) Kids graduate and go to college. Good colleges. You could not ask for a better public school.
Gulf Breeze is incredibly safe. There are small instances now and then, but nothing crazy. Most dangerous thing about living here is the main highway. Lots of wrecks.
Seriously though, after living around the country, something drew me back. It's paradise on earth and the BEST place to raise your kids. The oil situation is terrible, but it will be cleaned up eventually and we will continue to make this place our own slice of heaven!!

Old 06-18-2010, 01:09 AM

122 posts, read 400,364 times
I will also echo what GatorBait83 said about the job situation here. I've lived in this area my entire life and have always struggled to find a job. I have had my resume on CareerBuilder/Monster for a number of years and never had any companies contact me for open positions, and when searching for job listings, the results were out of my field and very limited. However, I put my resume online with a few other cities such as Columbus, OH and Jacksonville, FL and would receive several phone call's and e-mails for positions in my field within a matter of weeks after putting my resume online.

I actually just sent my resignation letter off a few minutes ago and will be selling nearly everything I own in order to relocate to another city. I'm done with the Gulf Coast and I also want to move away from the Oil Spill. I hate going outside very single day only to smell the strong fumes from the Oil. I'm very concerned about the long term effects of the Oil Fumes.

I wish you the very best in your decision, but you couldn't pay me to come back to come back to this area after I leave. I'm sick and tired of small town life and the limits of that.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM

207 posts, read 749,121 times
I'm curious but does anyone really think this massive oil spill will be resolved in a short time? I ask because we are moving to the area due to military relocation and HAD planned on buying and settling but now have chosen to rent. If the spill was capped I might feel hopeful but this looks like there is no end in sight unfortunately...

Another question does anyone think this will effect military operations in the area--Fort Walton/Eglin?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 13,572 times
I have lived in Gulf Breeze 15 years. Almost anyone who lives here besides nurses and teachers, work outside the city. Traveling is easy along highway 98. Gulf Breeze might be small, but it is certainly not empty. There are a few of everything and they just reopened their zoo that closed down due to Hurricane damage.
I love Gulf Breeze, it is the quiet place in the middle of two major areas. You travel west and go to Pensacola... if you go east you can get to Destin.
The job situation may suck, but if you do not mind driving a half hour to work.. you will be fine.

Some houses closer to the bay are subject to hurricane flood/ damage. I live on a bit of a hill and have never had that problem.

Crime is almost nonexistent, but cops are sure sticklers in the county of Santa Rosa.

I do believe the oil spill could be dealt with more quickly, but based off of everything so far.. that will probably not happen.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:58 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,286,523 times
Moving to Florida

1. Job first, the economy sucks. Don't move down here with family and think that within 3 months, you'll find a job. Its not going to happen.

Thats always the first rule I give people. People move here all the time, and think they'll make it here, their mistake is they don't have a good job when they come here.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 28,628 times
How is Gulf Breeze as it relates to hurricanes, it the town bad off during hurricane season. My family is thinking of moving either to Pcola or Gulf Breeze. We currently are in Fort Worth, TX. We don't have to worry about a job, just want to live closer to the water. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:00 PM

2,266 posts, read 7,300,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc121381 View Post
How is Gulf Breeze as it relates to hurricanes, it the town bad off during hurricane season. My family is thinking of moving either to Pcola or Gulf Breeze. We currently are in Fort Worth, TX. We don't have to worry about a job, just want to live closer to the water. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Gulf Breeze gets hit pretty hard by hurricanes but the majority of damage is to homes on/near the water. The incorporated portion of the city, called Gulf Breeze Proper, has some pretty high elevations (for Florida anyway!). It also has a great park (Shoreline Park) where you can launch a boat. And if you have kids in school, this is where you want to live.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider Pensacola if you want to be near the beach. You'll be driving over the bridge and through Gulf Breeze every time you want to go to the beach. But, I'm pretty biased cause I don't like much of anything about Pensacola.

If you look at other areas in Gulf Breeze (anything outside the city limits is referred to as "down the highway"), ask if the area sustained damage/flooding in Ivan. Basically, the closer you are to Hwy 98, the higher the elevation so less risk of flooding.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:14 PM

13 posts, read 40,046 times
Default I'm moving from Cleveland TN south towards Fla. Need info of any kind...

I'm moving from Cleveland TN south towards Fla...I use this site my self, it helps, but posting and reading post'-preferably newer/latest...helps as much if not more. I'm a single, 45 yr. old gentleman, moving to the south east to help my breathing, and back...Cold and rain, just tear my day up... how far depends kind'a on when the money runs out/ have to bunker down get a job for the winter. Then, or meet the right person, ya know! I'm moving from Cleveland TN. Need info of any kind... Am Clinically deaf, have a small service animal.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.
Read more: Does living in florida really suck that bad?

Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM

1 posts, read 7,115 times
Been here 5 months, living on the west side in a beautiful neighborhood. Quiet, pretty, very hot summers, fire ants, yellow flies, mosquitoes, and now it's august and we're wondering, where did those skeeters go? Stung by a fire ant twice and blistered, now? I swear I've built an immunity, no blisters or problem, I'm sure there still getting on me. It takes awhile for your skin to transition, and then I swear the bugs are like, oh your just another floridian. Northern blood/skin? Fresh meat! Moving on there are pros/cons, but would Honduras be better? We live west side Pcola, nice neighborhood, but ALL the stores are on the east side and it not too far but it's kinda annoying taking 296 all the way east through the middle of p'cola to go to say the mall or recognize able corporate franchises, which by the way are all I seem to trust. The small businesses all seem to be in small shacky buildings weathered by the constant sun and years of hurricanes. A lot of biz run out of people's houses too. I'm not used to that. People say oh support small biz and your community. Where's the insurance in that? After working so long in small biz and 1099 contract work, it's like we'll I'd rather be a cashier for a big company and get a w2. But yes, employment around here...there's more churches than (desirable) jobs to choose from. After the stock market tanked 800 points yesterday however, I reckon the whole countries going to **** soon. Well, we're renting in pcola, I'm scared to death to ever buy. Wouldn't want to get stuck by a stubborn house sale. So our drive anywhere takes 30 mins. To downtown, to gulf breeze, to the beach. Takes 2 bridges to get to pensacola beach, 40 mins, 4 mile bridge and $1 toll, have cash! So we never go, it's touristy, nice restauraunts, if that's your thing. I only trust my own organic cooking, I hate tipping, or being waited on, potential for picking up a stomach bug, getting the order wrong, over payment just for food out. So we like the quite beaches without any restauraunts, at perdido key beach. And love a dive bar kinda place, with live music, craw daddy's caters sometimes, sometimes it's dead there too, at the reef, see whenever you go it's a good time. It gets bad reviews, perfect, love my dive places. If you take offense to a 'rude' server it's your problem, get off your high horse. Speaking of gulf breeze. Haha all in landers think a certain way of gulf breezers. Like that they're another kind of person. You know, entitled. So if you are good with money, and can afford a nice house there in gulf breeze, be a good example for everyone else and be nice and not too overbearing. Like asking for childcare for 2 kids, one under age 3, taking them every where, educational activities, and only paying your nanny $10 an hour and no benefits and no employer tax status? Seriously that's cheap. The underdogs work hard, share your wealth. On to the drivers. Lots of accident shard at intersections. Come on pcola, gulf breeze, where are your street sweepers, you jnow, those big slow machine vehicles that the north has? Lastly, the stores I miss. Let's get some whole foods, trader joes, h&m, Nordstrom rack, Meijer, discovery clothing, lush etc. down here. And more than just one tjmaxx on the other side of town, more than just one library and it's branches all on the east side of town, come on the west needs more than a lucky penny, a dollar general, some churches and a publix. Let's get a new store strip over here like the east side has at least one or two! If you like antique stores, there's a few here and there. If habitat for humanity gave brownsville a new coat of paint everywhere and touched up some civil service projects with roads and traffic flow and traffic signs and signals, it may attract more affluence and biz and give the area some pride, instead of those pride banners they stick up on the poles in an area of oppression and suppression. To get to gulf breeze, I take 98, the long way, to avoid looking at all that, not because I'm too snobby, it's just depressing to look at, not inspiring, I wish I could help more, but I'm underemployed myself. Left a $500 a week income up north to have the beaches and warm winters, now I make 1/5 that income, it's been a slooow start for me, thank goodness my husband has the job he does. With some changes and a little more muscle from some chairman of the board, and attention to commerce, this pcola gulf breeze bubble could really be magnificent. I've met gulf breezers that have moved out of that area for certain reasons, and current gulf breezers that are about to move away or want to. The consensus seems to be, we're sick of this country and it's politics in general, and France is looking nice right now. But, where is that greener grass, and how does it tie in with your life's purpose? The true meaning of happiness? Will that house on the sand be fulfillment? Or could you store your material possessions and travel the world helping those in need, philanthropize, raise money for charities, etc. Bring the kids, show them the world? Gulf breeze schools, you hear they're good, maybe great, why not a little homeschooling? http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/def...?itok=nJn5oRuW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola