Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:06 PM

14 posts, read 31,250 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in Pensacola area, and am looking for a good place to rent a house. I have two kids. My oldest is set to start kindergarten in Fall of 2012. Schools are my #1 priority, and Gulf Breeze seems to have that covered. So, I spent two days in Gulf Breeze to drive around and look at neighborhoods. I'm more lost than I was before I left.

I started out looking at some subdivisions with direct water access: Villa Venyce, Whisper Bay, Santa Rosa Shores. They were all very spotty. One house would be OK, and then the next two looked like they were falling apart. Some had broken down cars in the driveway, others had them parked in the front yard. Not acceptable. I can't understand why people would let property on what seems to be prime real estate become so dilapidated. I have a boat, so water access would be a plus, but it isn't a need.

Then I went out to Tiger Point. The houses looked to be better kept, but they are sitting on lots that only a retiree could love. I don't need a huge yard, but young kids need at least a little room to play. I don't golf, so walking out to the course is not a plus to me. Also, Tiger Point seems to be far away from everything except Wallmart, and I don't shop there.

Last up was Gulf Breeze Proper. The neighborhoods outside Fairpoint and Shoreline look very good to me. They have everything I need except for available rentals. Those inside Fairpoint & Shoreline were spotty. It was the same problem as the water neighborhoods: some houses looked well kept, while others were not well kept at all. I keep reading posts where people promote Gulf Breeze Proper; but, aside from a few small neighborhoods which were really great, I just don't see what the hype is about.

So, I am looking for help from those who live in Gulf Breeze. What is a good neighborhood where I can raise two small children in Gulf Breeze? Good doesn't mean mansions. Good means houses are reasonably kept up and cars are parked in the driveway instead of the front yard. It's a huge plus if the neighborhood has a good number of preschool age kids whose parents care about them and are involved in their lives.

Forgive me if it sounds like I'm bashing. I just want to make sure that I'm making the right move for my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,373 times
You have to understand that the area took a brutal beating in 2004 from Hurricane Ivan. Things just aren't back to normal. The reason people like Gulf Breeze Proper is because of the schools and the close proximity of the schools. You're also closer to Pensacola and don't need to travel up and down Highway 98. Proper is older though so you will have hit and miss housing. One place you might consider is Plantation Hill. It is newer and sounds like what you might like, except it's not waterfront. I don't know your rental budget but waterfront will be pricey.

Another place to check out would be Grande Point, which is just outside of Gulf Breeze Proper (the city limits). It sounds like what you're after. Again, not on the water. But, there are public boat ramps in the area so that's an option.

I would suggest getting a good realtor. I'm sure there are plenty of places for rent and a realtor can find them for you. You might also consider renting on Pensacola Beach. They have a great little elementary school and it would be fun living there if you are just renting. Again, hurricanes aren't too much fun.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:00 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
I agree with the description of the hurricane issues in the area. Sometimes it takes a really long time to really rebuild afterwards, and then the housing crash hit and some decided it wasn't worth it to really return the home to pre-Ivan levels.

If you're wanting more consistent housing stock, I'd call Santa Rosa County Schools and see if you can schools of choice into Gulf Breeze (or think about Pensacola Beach charter elementary) and then look into Holley by the Sea, which at least seems to have some HOA enforcement and definitely has a nice recreation center that seems perfect for little ones. Or check out the schools that HBTS is zoned for and see if they'd work for you.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM

Thank you both for your responses.

Plantation Hill and Grande Point both look great, but neither have available rental property. That's why I didn't see them when I was looking at places. Do they have covenants against renting? I could see myself buying in those areas if I decide to stay in Gulf Breeze long term. I've looked at renting on the beach, but $3k+ for a rental is too steep for me. I'm looking to stay at or under $2k.

Holley By The Sea is just too far away from Pensacola. It would take me over an hour to commute to work from there, and I can't see my wife driving the kids to and from Gulf Breeze Elementary from there.

So, why does it take so long for an area to recover after a major hurricane? Is that because some people do not get flood insurance, so they don't have the money to rebuild?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 AM

I think you have to keep in mind that you are moving to an area that is economically depressed. It takes a long time to recover from the devastation of a hurricane where many people lost their homes and all of their possessions. Did you drive down Bay Street near Villa Venyce? All of those empty lots used to be peoples' homes. Many didn't rebuild because they couldn't deal with it happening again, and trust me, it will.

Then the economy tanked so that didn't help matters. But, Florida will rebound; it always does. I think you and your family will be happy in Gulf Breeze, especially since your daughter is starting school. Your wife will make lots of friends through school and after-school activities. Gulf Breeze is huge into soccer and every other type of sports for kids.

I would contact a realtor in Gulf Breeze, if you haven't already. Tell them what you're looking for. They may very well have a client who can't sell their house and is willing to rent it out. My mother lives in Proper on a street you would probably find iffy because a house or two doesn't look perfect. But, trust me, she would never move because of her wonderful neighbors.

If you have a question about crime, etc. in a particular neighborhood, just call Gulf Breeze Police (for Proper) or the Santa Rosa Sheriff's Office (for the unincorporated parts).

You're moving to the Pensacola area no matter what; trust me, Gulf Breeze is as good as it gets in that area.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM

WOW. I did drive down there and wondered about the vacant lots and why people didn't build on them. Those were all houses??? That brings it home for me.

I know that the hurricanes will come again. Perhaps there will be another Ivan this year... or perhaps a decade from now. I just didn't know that it took so long for things to come back. I figured people would get their insurance money and start rebuilding as soon as they could. You are right. Some people will face that destruction and decide that it just isn't worth it to live there- but I'm surprised that the city / county doesn't do more to mitigate it. Allowing a bunch of lots to go vacant and houses to stay in a state of partial repair can drag down a whole neighborhood really fast (and property tax revenue along with it). I know from experience. There is one foreclosure on my street and it's killing all of our property values.

Everyone I spoke to when I was there agrees with you: Gulf Breeze is as good as it gets in the Pensacola area. On your advice, I contacted a Realtor to assist with my search. Thanks for everything.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
It wasn't just Ivan, it was Ivan followed by Dennis less than a year later. (when you drive through the Naval Live Oaks part of Gulf Islands on US 98, the trees at an angle are that way because Dennis' eye made landfall there) And with those two storms, a near-miss with Katrina, and the usual nightmares with the insurance companies- the wind policy company would refuse to pay, claiming the home was destroyed by flood damage while the flood insurer would refuse the claim because they said it was wind damage.

Ivan was bad- one of the 10 costliest storms in US history at the time, and Pensacola took the brunt of it. There's just a tendency in Florida to want to forget about unpleasantness and slip into a sort of amnesia, whether it's hurricanes or which side the state fought on during the Civil War.

Old 02-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeejolts View Post
On your advice, I contacted a Realtor to assist with my search. Thanks for everything.
You're welcome. I really think a realtor will be able to find you the perfect house. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there unable to sell but willing to lease their homes. Good luck!!

Old 02-18-2011, 01:27 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,247 times
I thought Grand Pointe East had some rental properties?

Maybe it's my imagination lol

Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,858 times
CJ,

I read this post and was blown away by our similar circumstances. I too took a job in Pensacola, two boys (3 & 7), fell in love with the Gulf Breeze Proper area and read great things about the schools, but was confused by the homes in the area. I own a home in Birmingham Al that I still have to pay mortgage on until I rent or sell, so I will have to find something for $1,000 - $1,500... I didn't like the Tiger Point area either, the tiny box ranch style house thing isn't our style. We proudly haven't stepped into a Walmart in four years. And we will most likely rent for a year or two until we become comfortable with the area.

The reason I'm writing is to ask what input you might have now. Did you move to the area? We have called a few realtors and are working with one now, but have been told many times "we don't really do the rental thing"... We've got to be down there by July 1st and aren't having any luck, any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola