U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-28-2011, 04:24 PM

64 posts, read 237,154 times
Default Pensacola for single mom with two kids???

I visited Pensacola over 10 years ago but it was brief and I didn't see much but a nice beach. I have always been curious about living there....and was doing some research on this.

I'm a young widow (mid 40s) with a 3-year-old and a 13-year-old. I'm getting weary of the NW (portland). I grew up in Texas and prefer warm temps and love the beach life. Since California is out of my reach financially and overcrowded, I am looking toward florida. I don't like the Texas coastal towns much.

I am concerned about:

good public schools (if that even exists any longer)
safe community for myself and my children
sense of community
family friendly
walking/bike friendly neighborhood where I don't need my car for everything

Wondering where the ideal neighborhoods are in Pensacola? I work at home on computer so I can live anywhere. Mostly concerned about my children and what is best for them.

Any views on Pensacola that might be helpful...or if another town stands out more based on my needs, I'd appreciate it. I'm not interested in a huge, bustling town but not the boonies either!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM

8,293 posts, read 13,953,417 times
Honestly, if you don't like the Texas coastal towns then you wont like the panhandle much either. It's very similar, but with less Hispanic influence.

Unread 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM

Default But I didn't give my reasons for disliking Texas coast towns!

I have personal reasons for this...so don't read into that comment please! I'd still love some information. I'm certain Florida coastal towns are not exactly the same as Texas. Even w/out the Hispanic influence. C'mon now!!

Unread 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM

1,875 posts, read 4,231,330 times
Do not move to Pensacola if you want your kids to go to good schools. I will, however, recommend Gulf Breeze if you want to live in the Pensacola area. Much closer to beaches and has the best schools in the area. If you live in Gulf Breeze Proper you will be able to walk to some stores, library, etc., and best of all, your kids can walk/bike to school and after school activities.

I've never found a Texas coastal town that compares to Florida in any way, especially the quality of the beaches/water.

Unread 05-29-2011, 09:08 AM

39 posts, read 45,903 times
I would like more information on Pensacola as well. My job is about to end because we have ran out of funding, so this is a perfect time for relocating. I have a child of school age and I have inherited 4 pets- 2 dogs (which are mine) and 2 cats.

While visiting in Corpus Christi last year, I learned the beaches are dog friendly. I would love information on pet friendly towns with "A" grade schools and employment opportunities.

I am also concerned with the mosquito population. I do not want to trade my child's seasonal asthma for dengue fever.

Any suggestions?

Unread 05-29-2011, 04:38 PM

1,875 posts, read 4,231,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahla View Post
I would like more information on Pensacola as well. My job is about to end because we have ran out of funding, so this is a perfect time for relocating. I have a child of school age and I have inherited 4 pets- 2 dogs (which are mine) and 2 cats.

While visiting in Corpus Christi last year, I learned the beaches are dog friendly. I would love information on pet friendly towns with "A" grade schools and employment opportunities.

I am also concerned with the mosquito population. I do not want to trade my child's seasonal asthma for dengue fever.

Any suggestions?
Pensacola has no jobs so I wouldn't bother with that. Also, it's not very dog friendly, especially on the beach. I wouldn't worry too much about dengue fever though. Sure, there are mosquitos but they are basically everywhere.

Have you considered Austin, TX? No beach but at least the economy is doing well. And, you couldn't possibly find a more pet friendly area.

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Austin versus Pensacola??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Pensacola has no jobs so I wouldn't bother with that. Also, it's not very dog friendly, especially on the beach. I wouldn't worry too much about dengue fever though. Sure, there are mosquitos but they are basically everywhere.

Have you considered Austin, TX? No beach but at least the economy is doing well. And, you couldn't possibly find a more pet friendly area.

Thank you for the suggestion but my goal is to live in a coastal town...and the no jobs status does not affect me because I can live anywhere (I live on survivors benefits and some part-time computer work). Besides, I know Austin well and it is not what it used to be. It is a big, hot, miserable traffic jam in the middle of Texas! Not my cup of tea! But thank you for the suggestion

Unread 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Do not move to Pensacola if you want your kids to go to good schools. I will, however, recommend Gulf Breeze if you want to live in the Pensacola area. Much closer to beaches and has the best schools in the area. If you live in Gulf Breeze Proper you will be able to walk to some stores, library, etc., and best of all, your kids can walk/bike to school and after school activities.

I've never found a Texas coastal town that compares to Florida in any way, especially the quality of the beaches/water.
Thanks! I'll look more into Gulf Breeze. Thanks for the info..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola