U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 01:17 PM

8 posts, read 26,356 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

A friend and I are taking a road trip next week and are planning on stopping in Pensacola, FL, for a couple of days before heading to our destination. Do any of you know of any local resturants, clubs, or sites we should visit while we are there? Any area's we should stay away from (dangerous )? I really appreciate any information you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 02:02 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,255,383 times
Try Trader Vic's.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:20 PM

7,682 posts, read 16,106,514 times
The bad part of town is the Brownsville/alphabet streets area west of downtown. You can drive through it okay just fine on the main through streets, but if you get out of the car there assumptions about your intentions will be made.

I'd probably do a meal at McGuire's by the civic center. Yes, it's rather Irish theme park and something of a tourist trap, but the food is generally good, and the theme park-ness is at least entertaining.

McGuire's Irish Pub Pensacola, Florida

The Pensacola Beach parts of Gulf Islands National Seashore are a good stop. Fort Pickens has some interesting short hikes through old military areas, and the coast road drive between Pensacola Beach and Navarre Beach is almost hypnotic.

Gulf Islands National Seashore - Florida District (U.S. National Park Service)

There's another part of Gulf Islands on NAS Pensacola that has easy public access, and you're in the same place if you want to go through the National Museum of Naval Aviation. I think Spring Hillian is thinking of Trader John's. That bar closed for good in 2003, but a local law firm bought the Trader John's memorabilia collection and donated it to the Navy Museum.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:08 AM

2,996 posts, read 4,919,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md897 View Post
Hi everyone!

A friend and I are taking a road trip next week and are planning on stopping in Pensacola, FL, for a couple of days before heading to our destination. Do any of you know of any local resturants, clubs, or sites we should visit while we are there? Any area's we should stay away from (dangerous )? I really appreciate any information you can give me!
A good site to visit is the Pensacola Lighthouse which is the highest in Florida (and maybe the whole USA) . The view is spectacular from the top and there are shops below the Lighthouse. If you like the Nightlife, then Destin, Fl. and Fort Walton Beach, Fl.. offer alot. The nice Restaurants overlooking Destin Harbor are fun and the Destin Harborwalk is nice to stroll down and theres outdoor dining with live music at several places along the Harborwalk... especially on Saturday nights. The beaches there are second to none , and you should take a Dolphin Cruise Boat from Destin Harbor for a 2 hour ride ... its a narrated tour and some of the Tour Boats even have a glass botton so you can see the sealife. Plan on an entire day at Destin . At Okaloosa Island theres a popular Nightclub called The Swamp right on the beach ... its just a few miles west of Destin. Tourist season has begun early this year, so, theres going to be heavy traffic in and around Destin, but dont let that deter you. We welcome you .

Old 06-05-2011, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 26,356 times
@Spring Hillian - Thank you for the recommendation. We are going to try it! I looked at it online....it looks YUMMY!

@Beach Mouse - Thank you soooo much for guiding me in the right direction!!!! I really do appreciate you pointing out where I should be careful, and where I need to avoid. It really means a lot to me! And thanks for the links....It all looks so exciting!!!!

@007.5 - Thank you for suggesting the Lighthouse. I told my friend about it, and was told we are definately stopping there...lol. I can't believe there are Tour Boats with a glass bottom! That has to be the neatest thing ever!

Thank you all for your advise and suggestions! I truly appreciate all of it! We are hitting the road tomorrow morning from TX, to FL. Thanks again!!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 02:19 PM

55 posts, read 136,845 times
Thumbs up Pensacola, FL

Hello md897, Pensacola, FL native here.

McGuire's Irish Pub, the lighthouse at NAS, and Pensacola Beach are a must.

While you're at Pensacola Beach, be sure to have lunch at Peg Leg Pete's Welcome to PegLeg Pete"s it's my favorite spot on the beach.

Checkout the links on the right side of my blog The Florida Gulf Coast for more restaurant choices in Pensacola and Pensacola Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola