Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 09:35 AM

37 posts, read 140,667 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Pensacola in 2-3 years. I am an RN my husband has a Class A CDL but work for the city where we live in PA so operates everything from the garbage truck to the backhoe to the street sweeper. He alao runs his wn small landscaping buisness. I am looking for info on monthly expenses what are you paying for your electric bill, cable cell phone, house phone. water bill, car insurance , groceries, gas for the car anything else you would care to include. We would be looking to rent with 2 dachshunds and 2 kids so would want a 3br 2 bath about a $1000 a month or less. I am guessing we could make about $100,000 combined guesstimating an RN salary of $50,000 and a truck driving salary of $50,000. Plus the possibility of supplementing with a landscaping buisness. I did do a search in the old posts and in 200 + posts, I went no further back than 2008 found no discussions of utility costs. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 09:51 AM

191 posts, read 632,834 times
Some things are lower some are higher. Overall the cost of living is like anywhere else. You can find somthin for $1000 3brd 2 bath just about anywhere in FL.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:17 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
A lot of those expenses tend to be right about the national average. The one big exception is homeowner's insurance if you get to the point where you want to buy a home. Which is not really unreasonable considering how the city (and that stretch of the northern Gulf Coast in general) is total hurricane bait, and will get The Big One about once every ten years.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:17 PM

I figure that the electric must be higher with running central AC. My electric bill in PA is $120- $170 per month the higher is with running a window air conditioner and box fans in the summer june - sept. I have natural gas for the hot water heater and dryer plus the heat , it runs $90 for the summer months to a high of $275- $325 for Jan, Feb and March. My cable plus internet is about $170 per month the cell phones $ 170 car insurance costs us $95 a month for 2 vehicles a 2008 minivan and a ext cab pickup, home phone $70 a month car payment $260 a month student loan $130 amonth credit cards about $300 a month car gas about $200 a month groceries are my biggie I must spend $600- $800 monthlyplus misc. Our health insurance is free at this point and my dental and eye insurance is about $40 a month

Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 PM

Insullation makes a world of difference in terms of power bill. We've got a well-insullated 1700sf all electric house (v. common down here) with no pool, and electric runs us about $125/month spring and fall and $200-$250 for winter (you will run the heat to some degree from December to February down here) and summer.

Which is actually slightly cheaper than when we were renting a 1000sf poorly insullated cinder block place down by the beach.

Taxes are significantly less than PA- no state income tax, and no sales tax on food items. However they will hit you with any number of fees in order to balance the government books. See the thread here on titling your car, and how it will cost you a good $400 per vehicle the first time you apply for a Florida license plate. They also love their utility and communications taxes down here.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:18 PM

I forgot my water bill runs about $100 a month.The high last month was $160 I don't know what happened there we are watering our garden so I don't know if the hose was left running or what. How about renters insurance? Does it cover flood or hurricane damage?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 PM

When we were renting, we were down on the beach less than 50 yards from the Gulf. And no one would write us renter's insurance in that location at that time. I'm sure it's possible on the mainland, but I'm not sure the details of those policies.

We're a couple counties over from Pensacola and have county-provided combined water, sewer, and comprehensive trash (weekly bulk waste, yard waste, recycling, and 2x a week general trash) for about $60-$70 per month. This does not include watering the lawn; we've got a separate irrigation well for grass and landscape use. Irrigation wells are relatively common around here in many areas because you can end up paying very dearly if you use municipal water for your lawn.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:43 AM

How is the health insurance? Anyone care to share how much is being taken out of your pay a month for your coverage? Also food at the grocery store is not taxed is restaraunt food, clothes, books, paper towels, Laundry detergent other things like that?

Old 07-09-2011, 10:14 AM

Going to bump up. What are some areas to avoid looking at houses or apartments? Any apartment complexes that are safe pet friendly and near a decent school? We are looking at renting for a year or so to be sure and would consider an apt complex or maybe looking for a house to rent. I see a lot on the MLS but not sure what ones are in rotten areas or good ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola