Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2012, 03:11 PM

424 posts, read 1,293,862 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I am from Knoxville and in the area doing some comedy shows. I googled this question and read different things for about a half hour and simply cannot find an answer to a few questions I had.

1.) Is there a season for digging for clams or gathering oysters or mussels in Pensacola?

2.) If it is IN season right now, where are some spots where I could find such mollusks?

Thanks
Matt Ward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 12:24 PM

73 posts, read 175,743 times
From this forum post: Digging for Clams - Daytona Beach Forum - TripAdvisor

Quote:
Digging for clams in Florida used to be very popular. There used to be a great many of them. Between the over harvesting (especially when they brought the giant clam rakes (commerical ones) from up north) and the polution in the waterways, clams are pretty hard to find. Not sure about the Daytona area, we find very few here (melbourne / sebastian) nowadays. Most are "grown" in seed beds by commercial harvesters who would not be happy to find you digging in their clam beds. (they are usually marked by lots of white pvc poles in the water). I did hear that further north around Jacksonville you can still dig up some decent clams but I know I would not eat any out of the river around here. You also have to be careful of sting rays which hide in the mud where the clams are buried.
I'd also mention that clams from New England are safer. And there should, I'd think, be a clamming licence and size restrictions, but the game wardens sure aren't putting the info out on the internet.

Also to consider, there might be a reason no one does this, ya know.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
There's a fair amount of scalloping in Saint Joseph Bay east of Panama City, but that's a long drive from Pensacola.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola