Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,667,152 times

Advertisements

The area is horrible in terms of pine pollen allergies, but generally pretty good in terms of low air pollution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 65,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The area is horrible in terms of pine pollen allergies, but generally pretty good in terms of low air pollution.

does the RED TIDE they talk about come in very often? oh and thank you for the information ...

Old 04-01-2012, 10:38 PM

61 posts, read 208,100 times
Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville. There is an area in FWB called Shalimar (Poquito Bayou area) that has a great neighborhood and good schools, though I'm not sure about the high school. I have heard a lot of good things about Niceville.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:12 PM

8,275 posts, read 22,991,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Gal View Post
Destin, Fort Walton Beach, Niceville. There is an area in FWB called Shalimar (Poquito Bayou area) that has a great neighborhood and good schools, though I'm not sure about the high school. I have heard a lot of good things about Niceville.
So is this the consensus?

1. Destin
2. FWB
3. Niceville

in this order? No go on anything near or in PCB?

Old 05-31-2012, 09:06 PM

13,377 posts, read 7,691,457 times
As far as the bigger cities in the Panhandle go, I think Tallahassee is the best choice. It has a lot more character and natural beauty than Pensacola. Tallahassee has plenty of schools with good reputations, and affluent neighborhoods as well. But, the beach is a lot closer to Pensacola, so if that's important, I guess you would have to factor that in. Personally, I'm not a beach person, so I don't care about that. I've never been to Panama City, but I grew up in the Daytona Beach area, and I would assume it's got a pretty similar atmosphere. Kind of a redneck party town.

The rest of the Panhandle is either suburban-style beach communities (Destin, Niceville, etc) or small country towns like DeFuniak Springs and Marianna, which can be very charming if you are like me and prefer the slow-paced country lifestyle.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:08 PM

PC/PCB just isn't as nice as the Destin-FWB area. The Beach area still caters to college kids every spring break seasons with all the problems they bring, and Panama City proper has a certain stuck in 1975-1985 quality to it. Frank Brown Park is really awesome though.

I'd probably go Niceville-Destin-FWB in that order, but I've got a strong personal preference for the Bluewater Bay area that's effectively a part of Niceville and that skews it. Ft. Walton Beach can be kind of hit-or-miss with some nice areas right next to areas that aren't quite as nice.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 PM

18 posts, read 80,275 times
Destin is nice, but the traffic is horrible (my fiancee and I avoid going out there between the end of Feb though the summer :-\ ) and it's PRICEY.

I can 100% say to NOT consider Fort Walton Beach. I know I keep slandering the town, but I absolutely hate it. I've lived there over a year, and don't think I've felt safe for a single day (granted, I am from the country, so Ft. Walton is a HUGE change for me). I mean, I was even stalked by Christian Missionaries--they nearly got me FIRED from my job!

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM

5 posts, read 25,995 times
How about Crestview? I've never been to the state but moving next month.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-06-2012, 08:42 AM

Crestview is largely a commuter suburb with cheap housing and generally desirable Okaloosa County schools. (and unless you work at Crestview Aerospace or the Duke Field/Green Berets complex, you're looking at a long commute.)

The down side is that jobs and shopping outside the usual Walmart-Publix-Lowe's-Staples sort of deal generally involve a fair amount of driving- think 45 minutes + to get to Destin or Pensacola. It's also a different gardening zone than the Panhandle coastline where overnight lows can get down into the teens in the winter so it's a bit harder to get the 'Florida feel' in your yard.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:21 PM

1,644 posts, read 3,017,531 times
I have two co-workers who really liked living in Mobile, though I haven't lived there and this was 10 years ago for one of the guys and 20 for the other.

Taxes are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola