Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM

643 posts, read 1,485,153 times

Advertisements

I posted this info on the Florida master forum but not much activity (and kind of hard to find) so thought it might be better off here:

Coastal Living Magazine is building a 2012 "Ultimate Beach House" in Rosemary Beach, which it describes as a "New Urbanism" style community. I'm considering adding it to our list of relocation trip destinations. I must admit I've never really considered the Panhandle before -- nor visited it. The photos here make it look fabulous. Anyone on here who has retired, or is retiring in Rosemary Beach? pros and cons?

I also posted it (planning an upcoming trip so really trying to scramble for info) on the Retirement forum. A couple of folks mentioned it's mostly condos and not much else there in terms of a "community" of full-time residents. ???

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM

482 posts, read 885,529 times
Is that the huge round house that sticks out like a sore thumb? It's unlike anything else over there; really neat place. I figured some kind of Hollywood star owned it, but I think it's a local business owner instead. I believe someone else brought up that house before on here.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Is that the huge round house that sticks out like a sore thumb? It's unlike anything else over there; really neat place. I figured some kind of Hollywood star owned it, but I think it's a local business owner instead. I believe someone else brought up that house before on here.
I doubt it, but certainly can't say for sure, since I've never been there. It's on Coastal Living Magazine's facebook page and their web site. 2012 Ultimate Beach House in Rosemary Beach, Florida - Coastal Living

Old 05-16-2012, 10:58 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Are you thinking of the big giant concrete thing that's closer to Alys Beach, and has been under construction for like forever? If it's that one, it's owned by Charlie Hilton, who is not part of That Hilton Family, but does own some insane amount of Panama City Beach.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:47 PM

482 posts, read 885,529 times
Yes it's the Hilton house. I think he own's the Holiday Inn Sunspree PCB (now just H.I. Resort) and the Holiday Inn Select in PC.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:19 PM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
Goodness that Hilton monstrosity is ugly in my opinion, it's on the beach right on the edge of Alys Beach--there's a most excellent view of it from George's restaurant in Alys where it looks like a beached cruise ship.

I was just in Rosemary and saw the Coastal Living house under construction--it will be fabulous and worth a tour if you like design and the magazine. Rosemary is one of the most beautiful places in the world in my opinion. It is not mostly condos, there are quite a few but they are outnumbered by single family homes. I spoke to a full time resident on my last visit and asked about how many households were full time in Rosemary and she estimated about 80, and she said they did have a sense of community. The beach is unparalleled (except for the others on the gulf which also rock), amd the architecture in Rosemary is stunning to say the least. Being able to walk to many restaurants is so beyond awesome and highly unusual in the US unless you are in a very urban area.

Also check out Alys Beach next door, and Seaside and Watercolor which are also spectacular new urbanist communities a 10 minute drive west on 30A from Rosemary. I deeply love that area, I live in a new urbanist neighborhood in Colorado designed by the same firm who designed Rosemary, Seaside, Alys, amd Watercolor but we don't have the beach!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM

Great info, Bradburn. I think we have to make a visit. You didn't happen to take any photos did you? Just wondering. Thanks again for the post and info!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 AM

698 posts, read 2,046,591 times
I did but don't have them online to link to. If you go to Flickr.com and search "Rosemary Beach" there are lots of public photos that can give you a good idea of what it looks like. Many describe it as looking like a European village, an assessment I agree with. For a place to stay, there are a ton of condo and home rentals through Rosemary Beach Rental Agency--we had a good experience with them. One thing to note though, I wouldn't recommend renting a property next to any of the pools, those houses (the ones right next to the pools) can be noisy. If you want to be closest to the beach, rent on the south side of 30A. Also, you will never see so many people on bikes in your entire life!

For food, in Rosemary Edward's and Onano are really excellent, the Tapas place is good also but I thought Paradis was just OK. Check out Caliza in Alys Beach next door. Food was so-so but it is the coolest restaurant I've ever seen--it's next to their spectacular pool.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:00 PM

807 posts, read 3,186,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday1 View Post
I posted this info on the Florida master forum but not much activity (and kind of hard to find) so thought it might be better off here:

Coastal Living Magazine is building a 2012 "Ultimate Beach House" in Rosemary Beach, which it describes as a "New Urbanism" style community. I'm considering adding it to our list of relocation trip destinations. I must admit I've never really considered the Panhandle before -- nor visited it. The photos here make it look fabulous. Anyone on here who has retired, or is retiring in Rosemary Beach? pros and cons?

I also posted it (planning an upcoming trip so really trying to scramble for info) on the Retirement forum. A couple of folks mentioned it's mostly condos and not much else there in terms of a "community" of full-time residents. ???

Thanks.
Rosemary Beach is beautiful...but, I don't believe more than 10% of the residents are full time. Most properties are vacation homes or vacation rentals. "Ultimate"?? beach house?? There are so many celebrities with properties there that I'm very sure the millions spent on properties could be cause for comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola