U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,723 times
Default Pensacola, FL? A good place to relocate with children?

My husband and I are considering relocating to the Pensacola area. Are there any areas close by that are also nice? What about the school system, are you better off to pay for a private school? What is the average rent for a 3 bedroom home? We are going to start our own surveillance business, so my husband may come down first for a few months to get everything rolling, would a beach apartment be better or inland? Any information would be appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 12:39 PM

266 posts, read 1,068,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmelissa75 View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating to the Pensacola area. Are there any areas close by that are also nice? What about the school system, are you better off to pay for a private school? What is the average rent for a 3 bedroom home? We are going to start our own surveillance business, so my husband may come down first for a few months to get everything rolling, would a beach apartment be better or inland? Any information would be appreciated
Pensacola is located in Escambia County and their schools leave a lot to be desired. Out of 67 school districts in Florida, Escambia is ranked #57. We have friends in P'cola who send their son to private school. The county next to Escambia is Santa Rosa and they are ranked #6. Santa Rosa has very good schools. It would be easy to live in Gulf Breeze and commute to Pensacola so that your kids can go to school in Santa Rosa. It would probably take 15 minutes at the most. Navarre is also a nice area in Santa Rosa Co. but it is a little farther from P'cola. It would be about a 30 minute commute.

To rent a 3 bed house in a nice middle class area I would expect to pay between $1000-$1500 per month. This is pretty much true of the entire panhandle. I don't think there are any apartments on Pensacola beach. You might be able to rent a condo with a long term lease but most condos around here are short term vacation rentals. Pensacola beach is not actually in Pensacola. It is on a barrier island south of Gulf Breeze. If you live on the island it should take you about 15-20 minutes to get to Pensacola. This barrier island extends from Gulf Breeze to Destin so the beach is pretty much the same all the way down. When the hurricanes blow in, and they will, it would probably be much better to be inland than on a tiny barrier island. The area was severely damaged by hurricane Ivan in 2004 and it is still recovering.

Overall, Pensacola is a nice place. It has nice areas and bad areas like anyplace. It is not on the beach which surprises a lot of people but the beach is within 20 minutes of just about any part of the city. The schools are lousy but there are some A schools there. There is also the option of private school, home school, or living in the next county. There are two excellent hospitals, a university, some decent stores and restaurants, as well as plenty of opportunities for outdoor recreation at the beach and state parks. The nearby areas of Gulf Breeze and Navarre are nice too.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 113,488 times
Default Gulf Breeze has the best schools

You can send me a PM and I will tell you why you want to focus on Gulf Breeze, Florida - particularly Gulf Breeze Proper. National Blue Ribbon Schools, A+, top in Florida. Great little town,

Heather

Old 01-06-2012, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
Pensacola is an Arm Pit! Stay in Destin! Could not pay
me to live in PNS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola