Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 34,354 times

Advertisements

there is very strange weather in pensacola. it was hot all january & most of the winter (same thing with last year) but the closer we get to spring there will be a cold front come through & make it cold (not usually freezing cold) for a couple of days before it gets hot again. the weather is very aggravating. & very hard to predict too far in advance. the other day we drove to a restaurant with our air conditioner on because it was hot out & on the drive back home we had the heater on because a cold front had come through. now its warming up again....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 PM

147 posts, read 595,919 times
I can tell you our weather is as bi-polar as it gets. October one year will be sticky and hot and the next you hardly want to participate in Halloween because of how cold it is. this is also the case for the Winter/Spring transition but on a day to day basis. It'll be 40 degrees one day in March and 70 the next. It's quite aggravating. This year it started warming up for a few weeks in February and then shot back into the 40s and 50s through March and a bit of April. It's very unpredictable.

I think it's fair to say we get all four seasons, though.

Edit: For what it's worth I didn't read a single post in this thread until after I submitted my own and as you can see by the poster above me, that's truly what it's like.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 2,840 times
Living here for 30+ years since the age of 2, here are my no-kidding experiences:

Jan- one weekend huddle up by your fireplace because it only gets up to 50, the next weekend have a picnic in the back yard because it is almost 70 degrees out.
Feb- Bring on the beads! Enjoy the beach when it is 65 and sunny while catching beads for Mardi Gras (the family friendly kind!). Go to a beachside restaurant that is normally a tourist trap in summer and view the lovely, pristine, uncrowded view from indoors or covered outdoor areas.
Mar- "Wow, my grass is really greening up" will come to mind. One weekend a sweatshirt is needed and the next calls for a swimsuit. A 5k everywhere with one fun, notable one being the McGuire's St Paddy's Day run (break out your green tutu!).
Apr- Cool nights and warm days. Probably the first day sunbathing on the beach but there will be a few weeks before all those spring break crowds. Flowers blooming everywhere. More runs and races. (I'm not into golf but great time I would guess).
May- Paradise. Warm days, break between spring breakers and summer tourists. Perfect beach days for some toes in the sand R&R.
June- Time to find a pool and enjoy it. Enjoy a day boating. The heat and humidity are starting to crank up a little.
July - Swim in the ocean or go snorkeling. Otherwise, find a pool, splash pad, water park, river, or other water activity. If nothing else, run through the back yard sprinklers.
Aug - Go to the pool early in the morning. Go home and watch movies in the air conditioning. Stay away from the beach activities and tourists.
Sep - Tourists are gone, weather is still hot, but now it is time for locals to reclaim our town! Go to the beach, do touristy things (ride go karts, enjoy fishing competitions) without the touristy prices or crowds.
Oct - Festival time and 5k time again. Go to the seafood festivals and eat yourself silly on authentic seafood. Go to local farms and pick out a pumpkin to carve. Put on a sweatshirt that last week in Oct when it always dips down into the 50s.
Nov - Football, football, football. Watch a NFL or college football game at any sports bar. Enjoy Turkey Day in fall attire one year and in short sleeves the next.
Dec - Enjoy a Christmas parade in 60 degree weather. Visit Zoolights or Bellingrath Gardens in Mobile in 60 degree weather. Enjoy an outdoor Christmas party. One year you may want a fire in your fireplace at Christmas and the next you won't.

That is our weather and seasons. I loved the summer time before my babies were born. I was always at the pool or at the beach. After my babies were born and I couldn't be in the pool all summer, I finally "got" why people hate summer here. We are frequently outside Oct-May. Now they are nearly 3, enjoying the water a little better so we're outside year round with the exception of Aug. Aug is hot, humid, and miserable. Otherwise, life is good!

Old 09-24-2013, 08:17 AM

55 posts, read 103,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBCHGRL View Post
Living here for 30+ years since the age of 2, here are my no-kidding experiences:

Jan- one weekend huddle up by your fireplace because it only gets up to 50, the next weekend have a picnic in the back yard because it is almost 70 degrees out.
Feb- Bring on the beads! Enjoy the beach when it is 65 and sunny while catching beads for Mardi Gras (the family friendly kind!). Go to a beachside restaurant that is normally a tourist trap in summer and view the lovely, pristine, uncrowded view from indoors or covered outdoor areas.
Mar- "Wow, my grass is really greening up" will come to mind. One weekend a sweatshirt is needed and the next calls for a swimsuit. A 5k everywhere with one fun, notable one being the McGuire's St Paddy's Day run (break out your green tutu!).
Apr- Cool nights and warm days. Probably the first day sunbathing on the beach but there will be a few weeks before all those spring break crowds. Flowers blooming everywhere. More runs and races. (I'm not into golf but great time I would guess).
May- Paradise. Warm days, break between spring breakers and summer tourists. Perfect beach days for some toes in the sand R&R.
June- Time to find a pool and enjoy it. Enjoy a day boating. The heat and humidity are starting to crank up a little.
July - Swim in the ocean or go snorkeling. Otherwise, find a pool, splash pad, water park, river, or other water activity. If nothing else, run through the back yard sprinklers.
Aug - Go to the pool early in the morning. Go home and watch movies in the air conditioning. Stay away from the beach activities and tourists.
Sep - Tourists are gone, weather is still hot, but now it is time for locals to reclaim our town! Go to the beach, do touristy things (ride go karts, enjoy fishing competitions) without the touristy prices or crowds.
Oct - Festival time and 5k time again. Go to the seafood festivals and eat yourself silly on authentic seafood. Go to local farms and pick out a pumpkin to carve. Put on a sweatshirt that last week in Oct when it always dips down into the 50s.
Nov - Football, football, football. Watch a NFL or college football game at any sports bar. Enjoy Turkey Day in fall attire one year and in short sleeves the next.
Dec - Enjoy a Christmas parade in 60 degree weather. Visit Zoolights or Bellingrath Gardens in Mobile in 60 degree weather. Enjoy an outdoor Christmas party. One year you may want a fire in your fireplace at Christmas and the next you won't.

That is our weather and seasons. I loved the summer time before my babies were born. I was always at the pool or at the beach. After my babies were born and I couldn't be in the pool all summer, I finally "got" why people hate summer here. We are frequently outside Oct-May. Now they are nearly 3, enjoying the water a little better so we're outside year round with the exception of Aug. Aug is hot, humid, and miserable. Otherwise, life is good!

Awesome post FLBCHGRL !!!! I really enjoyed reading it It has been 10 months since the move from Minnesota. I can say I absolutely love it here. They weather is pretty crazy though. I was out running errands a few months back it was hot, sunny, blue skies, and started raining???? What?? Never seen that happen before as I was shocked and scared lol!! It was funny after I asked my husband about it. Since he is from Pensacola

Old 09-24-2013, 10:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
It's been the rainiest summer of the past 10+ years, so call it results not entirely typical. I think we've run our sprinklers only about five times since mid-June.

Old 09-27-2013, 12:18 PM

27 posts, read 41,185 times
It has been a rainy summer. It reminds me of summers back 20 or so years ago. It used to heat up, and the clouds would roll in off the Gulf, and it would rain every afternoon. Not for long, usually, and it brought a welcome cooling. THAT seems like normal Pensacola-area summer weather to me, not the weird hot-dry days on end that I've seen scattered over the last decade. (Even some of the summers of the past decade have been cooler than what used to be though - there were days I'd get up to do yard chores at daybreak and it would feel just slightly coolish in short sleeves, which I do NOT remember in August weather of the later 80's or so - then again I'd moved to Cantonment and just maybe it was cooler than Pensacola itself.)

I love FLBCHGRL's description, and also as WDaleHerring put it - the weather here is bipolar! Christmas memories in short sleeves, cool beach days in February, and a snowfall or two in years between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola