Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM

18 posts, read 31,577 times

Advertisements

We have vacationed in the Destin, Beaches of South Walton and PCB areas. We have friends in Crestview that made the move from here Missouri and love living there. While we may be interested in the Crestview area we are taking a trip out in a month to explore other areas as well. Areas that may be more conducive to raising a family than Destin and PCB. We have 3 kids ages 13,11 & 6. Schools are a big deal for us. My husband owns an insurance company here in Missouri and I am a Licensed Massage Therapist. In Missouri we live in a suburb of Springfield that we love. It's just we are looking for a change. We love the ocean and don't see why we can't make the move closer to it. My father recently passed away and and has made us realize how short life can be. In a month taking a trip to PCB for vacation and plan on looking all the way from Mobile, Al down the coast to PCB. We are interested most in Spanish Fort, Daphne, & Fairhope in Al and Gulf Breeze & Navarre in Florida. We are open to other suggestions as well however. We just want somewhere where we could both find jobs or start businesses, especially my husband. Good schools, communities with access to sports, gymnastics, dance etc. We like a smaller community within reach of a larger one. Any ideas on other places or views on the ones already suggested would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,010 times
Navarre isn't so bad being right smack dab in between Pensacola and Destin. It's about a 40 minute drive either way and you're there. The only issue with that is the only main road is highway 98, and if an accident or something occurs, you're going to be sitting in traffic (and accidents do tend to happen quite frequently). Especially when it warms up and the tourists pour in. The beaches are very pretty and clean, but that's all there really is to do here unless you're willing to drive to Pensacola or Destin, or even Ft. Walton which is only a 25 minute drive. I mention this because there are a lot of teenagers around here that end up bored with the lack of activities to do in town, and instead participate in less desirable activities (lots of drugs and teen pregnancy happening). You and your husband will most likely find jobs outside of Navarre, but that tends to be common here. The schools are nice and have some pretty good teachers.

Gulf Breeze is a lot like Navarre in the sense that it's more homes with just the necessary grocery shops and then some.

I would avoid the Pensacola area. While it's nice to spend the day there (mall, beach, light houses, naval museum) it isn't somewhere where I personally would choose to live. Crime rate has increased significantly lately, mostly assault and theft, and part of the town has become really run down.

Ft. Walton is pretty nice and it's only about 15 minutes away from Destin. It's more built up than Navarre but also has that small town feel. I'd imagine there's more jobs and activities here also.

Destin is my favorite area down here. Of course it's very touristy, but there are a ton of things to do. We've lived on the panhandle for going on 6 years now and still love going to Destin for the boardwalk or mini cruises. I find it very pretty, less swampy, and just more active in general (which I love, being a college student, but I understand you probably wouldn't prefer it). I saw a lot of places currently hiring when I ventured over that way the other weekend.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:29 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Employment opportunities (insurance & massage therapist) will probably be stronger in Destin, but, costs are higher here and schools are not as highly regarded as those in Niceville area, and the traffic on Hwy 98 is horrific. Niceville is a great family area with a lot more going on then Crestview and Navarre, ... but, there is a $6 round trip toll on the MidBay bridge (work, beaches, etc). You will have a similar issue with Crestview, but, with a lot less activity and job opportunities there (however, you will get more for your housing buck.

Navarre beach is relatively unpopulated because of the hurricane threat, while Navarre is about 30/40 miles distant from Destin/F.Walton Beach on HWY 98 (heavy traffic). You might find FWB to your liking as it seems much more like a Springfield, Mo-type of town for families ... although some parts are getting a little 'seedy.'

Based on your criteria (and depending on how 'beachy' you want to get, you may want to 'bite the bullet' on tolls and try Niceville ... or better yet, try some of the residential areas in Destin, north of Hwy 98. (along these lines, you may also be better off on the Okaloosa County (vs Walton County) side of 'Destin'. --- Have you considered other warmer, less 'touristy' parts of Florida ... perhaps, mid-Florida? (BTW, we've been in Florida almost 40-years, ... mostly Central Fl (Tampa, Kissimmee and Satellite Beach) ... and have lived in Destin for the past 2-years (grandkids).

Old 05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

Naiads, thank you for the great info. I think maybe you are right about those areas being too small. We are going to check out Ft Walton beach too. We drove across the bridge from Destin once but barely saw any of the town. We love Destin, it's the tourist traffic and what we have read about schools that have us steering away from there.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 PM

jghorton, We will definitely check out Niceville, we have heard nothing but nicethings about the area. I am unsure of what/how to look up as far as residential areas of Destin and Tampa for that matter online. We will likely rent a home at first. We have definetly discussed the Tampa area. We have heard Polk county and south Tampa... We do not have the means to fly all of of out to Tampa right now to look around and have never been there so...my husband and I may possibly be able to fly out there in Sept/Oct, not sure. It's too far of a drive. Are you familiar with Springfield?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:19 PM

You know what? Come to think of it, I think we may have seen part of Niceville by boat. Is it past the bridge that connects Destin to FT Walton? We took a boat out way past Crab Island one day, into a Bay/ Lake type area with huge houses all around.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:19 PM

15 posts, read 65,352 times
I would definitely recommend niceville because it has great neighborhoods and niceville high school is one of the best schools. Niceville in my opinion is also the perfect place to be because you are 30 minutes or less from crestview, fort Walton, and destin. It's a great family oriented area and I think you would love it. I was raised in that area and it was great so much so that I plan to move back after my military contract is up. If you have any questions please let me know.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2013, 03:54 PM

Does anyone know about Pace?

Old 07-14-2013, 05:55 AM

147 posts, read 595,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineMsM View Post
Does anyone know about Pace?
Pace is fantastic. Albeit not much to do, but I think it's perfect for families with young children. Pace High school is a great one, I graduated from there in 2008. You won't find many better schools than the ones in Pace. Pensacola Beach is great, but outside of the beach aspect of Pensacola there (again) isn't much to do other than eat at some pretty decent restaurants. Pace is growing, though. Lots of new little shopping centers, revamped walmart, new target, et cetera. Lots of new neighborhoods around, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola