Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 AM

2 posts, read 8,594 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are relocating to Fort Walton Beach from Miami and wanted to know what are good areas to look for rental communites. We have 2 kids and they will be transferring schools. Can someone please give me some insight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 04:22 PM

13,260 posts, read 22,670,360 times
Welcome to a very different place culturally. There really aren't a ton of big apartment complexes in the area, so it tends to be more small townhouse complexes and single family homes. What kind of budget are you talking?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,594 times
Thank you! We are looking in between 1200-1250 budget. We looked into the sound side apartment homes.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:54 AM

13,260 posts, read 22,670,360 times
This Soundside?

SoundSide Apartment Homes - Our Location - Ft. Walton Beach, Florida

It's a mixed income redelopment area- IIRC, they tore down a public housing complex there a few years back and the replacement is supposed to be a mix of market rate and Section 8 vouchers. It's a street that has a reputation for problems, probably because of the former public housing, and unless you're into being urban pioneers I'd pass on it.

Thing about Ft. Walton Beach though is that the nicer and not as nice parts of town tend to be pretty close to each other, and crime form, say, Sylvania Heights doesn't really creep much into Overbrook even though there's only a drainage ditch splitting the two. Go east of Eglin Parkway instead of west of it, and the Elliot Point is a nice middle class area of modest single family homes and a few small apartment complexes that's generally pretty budget friendly. (Same goes for schools- whether by luck or design, the attendance boundaries generally give a mix of socio-economic classes and don't clump all the poor kids together)

Broad locations on the map I'd look for would be areas east of Eglin Parkway including all of of Shalimar; north of Racetrack & south of Lewis Turner, and the Valparaiso-Niceville-Bluewater Bay area. (You'd actually have some options in Destin, but I tend to think of Destin as a place to shop and not to live) Local realtor web site:

Rental Listings | Emerald Coast Homes Online

They're currently showing a small 3/2 single family home at 4559 BARRINGTON Lane Niceville, for $1150 a month, which puts you in walking distance to the well-regarded Bluewater Elementary and in the attendance area for the even better-regarded Ruckel Middle- Niceville High attendance areas and not much in the way of yardwork even as you've got four walls to yourself.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:25 PM

3,297 posts, read 6,228,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshstart2014 View Post
Hello, we are relocating to Fort Walton Beach from Miami and wanted to know what are good areas to look for rental communites. We have 2 kids and they will be transferring schools. Can someone please give me some insight...
We lived in Fort Walton for years, and my husband grew up there.

There are two places I would live if/when we move back (because we will eventually!). Shalimar and Niceville. Both areas are awesome, great schools, great communities. Niceville is closer to Destin and will be a little pricier, but I would pay more to live there.

We lived in the Kenwood area off Racetrack near Choctaw High School and loved the area...super convenient to everything.

Like someone else mentioned, I would also look into townhouse rentals as well. There are loads of nice townhome communities and IMO they are nicer than the apartments.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:45 PM

897 posts, read 2,447,353 times
My son is being transferred to fort Walton. Can anyone suggest where he should look to live- he is 23

Old 03-29-2018, 09:46 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,694,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
My son is being transferred to fort Walton. Can anyone suggest where he should look to live- he is 23
Is he military? Single? If he is either of those, I would consider living on base for a little bit and then find a roommate. If not, there are a variety of Apts, most of those (that I would live in) are on the west end of town, closer to Hulbert field. Depending on where he works I would also recommend looking at condos on Okaloosa Island. Depending on his budget, there are lots of new apts in Destin. But a painful commute to FWB..depending on where he will be working.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:48 PM

Single and not military... right now he is looking at Cayo Grande in Navarre. He has friends who live I. Pensacola ...

Old 03-29-2018, 03:36 PM

1,845 posts, read 3,694,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
Single and not military... right now he is looking at Cayo Grande in Navarre. He has friends who live I. Pensacola ...
If he is working in FWB that might be a tough drive, depending on where. If traffic isn't an issue then it might be nice to live there. Not much to do there, but very close to the beach.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:39 PM

There’s not much available in fort Walton so I guess that’ll work. He probably won’t need much to do anyway. Won’t know anyone and probably won’t hsve much money to spend after paying so much in rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola