Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 04:36 PM

21 posts, read 33,243 times

Advertisements

Hello members of CD, here's my situation.

I currently live at home and I have to move out by next year. I decided since the world's my oyster and there's no limits as to where I can go, I might as well save up some extra cash and take a move to Florida from Cincinnati, OH.

What I've considered:

I'm currently building up credit so I'll be able to rent without a co-signer.
I have reliable transportation.
By the time I'm moved out, I should have around $10,000 saved.
I made calls about how much it would cost to rent a moving vehicle, the mileage involved, the price of gas involved, towing my vehicle, the daily fee, what movers charge per hour, and how long it would take to unload the vehicle. After everything is said and done, I'm looking at roughly $2,600 to move.
I've calculated how much it would cost to live there per month, and I'm looking at around $2,545.
I will visit down there for 4 days to get an idea of what's around the area, to look at the rental property itself, to get an idea of what jobs are located in the area and how long it would take to commute from the rental property to work. It's always good to be prepared.

Therefore I'll be able to get down there, I'll be able to afford the costs of moving there, I'll either put down a security deposit or have enough credit to rent without a co-sign, and I'll have enough money saved to live off of for 4 months while looking for work, although I expect to line up a job first.

I would either work as a waiter (tourist area = more $$$!) or as an Automotive Technician at Firestone/competitors. Either I figured would bring in around 30k a year, so I'd be living on a tight budget for a while.

So, as the title states - do YOU think I'm prepared? Why or why not? I'd like valid reasoning. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 PM

337 posts, read 448,978 times
Not to discourage you but we tried this in 2012. But we both had Military retirement checks and my wife got a 10$ hour job. It was tough. We lasted 9 months until a job paying double came up in Tennessee and we relocated. When we registered our 2 vehicles and got driver licenses it was 950$. Keep that in your budget also. Having a job ahead of time would be very important in my opinion. You can PM and I will answer any more of your questions.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM

But it does sound like you are doing your homework and kudos for you for it.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:52 PM

815 posts, read 981,046 times
Are you still thinking of South Florida or Pensacola?

Old 06-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
Are you still thinking of South Florida or Pensacola?
I certainly am, thanks for asking - but I'd like to be closer to family. I know, I know, 11 hours instead of 18...

That and I'm more familiar with the Destin area. Since it's also more of a tourist area than southern FL (excluding Keywest), I figured as a waiter, if I were to go that route, I'd do much better off.

Old 06-02-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
Not to discourage you but we tried this in 2012. But we both had Military retirement checks and my wife got a 10$ hour job. It was tough. We lasted 9 months until a job paying double came up in Tennessee and we relocated. When we registered our 2 vehicles and got driver licenses it was 950$. Keep that in your budget also. Having a job ahead of time would be very important in my opinion. You can PM and I will answer any more of your questions.
I appreciate your input. Glad to hear about your experience. Wouldn't you have had a pension on top of the $10 an hour? Unless you were living a pretty fancy lifestyle, I'm surprised to hear it didn't work for you. Also, I forgot to factor the vehicle in. Thanks!

Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acampbell2229 View Post
I appreciate your input. Glad to hear about your experience. Wouldn't you have had a pension on top of the $10 an hour? Unless you were living a pretty fancy lifestyle, I'm surprised to hear it didn't work for you. Also, I forgot to factor the vehicle in. Thanks!
Yes we both have pensions. And we did not live a fancy lifestyle. It is hard to explain unless you have tried/lived it. Best of luck to you.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:53 PM

36 posts, read 62,407 times
Quote:
good luck, Can always use more Ohio people in Destin!!

wait, that depends what sports teams you're a fan of

Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
Yes we both have pensions. And we did not live a fancy lifestyle. It is hard to explain unless you have tried/lived it. Best of luck to you.
Could you elaborate on what made it difficult to afford living there? I looked to check the COL in Destin, and it's not much higher than it is in Cincinnati, surprisingly.

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:44 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 04:56 AM

6 posts, read 9,319 times
Quote:
Could you elaborate on what made it difficult to afford living there? I looked to check the COL in Destin, and it's not much higher than it is in Cincinnati, surprisingly.
You might want to look at base pay for Destin and compare that to the "Nati". Chances are it's lower. Good luck!

Last edited by Yac; 11-17-2020 at 01:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola