Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,246 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a young family with a 19 month old son thinking about moving to Pensacola area from McKinney, TX. My husband works as a pizza delivery driver so we are not after high end jobs and are used to low wages. I work from home online $13.50 an hour so the low income in the area is not that much of a problem, everything in McKinney is very expensive compared to Pensacola.
However I am worried about the amount of sex offenders in Florida. I wanted to ask the locals -do you feel it would be safe to live in Pensacola with a young child? I'm not worried about the quality of schools yet and it's unlikely we can afford Santa Rosa county or East Pensacola area at the moment. We are thinking about P Country club area and other areas near the water - we are not insisting on being by the water but in crime map these areas seem safer than any part of West Pensacola.
Basically, should I buy a gun and keep it at hand in case I'm home alone at night?? Maybe I'm over-reacting but some folks here hint the crime is bad there.

Also are there any Telecom/IT jobs around do you know? Fishing or boat related jobs?
Any other info would be also greatly appreciated, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 02:25 PM

638 posts, read 972,106 times
Crime is mehhhhhhh, could be better could be worse. As long as you stay clear of the bad neighborhoods and don't go around at night where you shouldn't be(black on black crime is the real problem). As far as the sex offenders go, don't worry about them. Sex offenders are very relative. Some 19 year olds are sex offenders for having relations with their 15 year old girlfriend. Keep an eye on your kid, you shouldn't run across any problems with that IMO.

The cost of living is great here. The beach isn't far away and there are plenty of decent neighborhoods here (mostly north west end of pensacola, around 9 mile area.) Also, there are some great apartment complexes off highway 98, by corry naval station.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,772,289 times
Milton is nice

Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 AM

52 posts, read 78,724 times
Milton is very affordable and has some great apartment complexes that are affordable. Go to pmainfo.com and go to apartment rentals and click on Milton. They also have some complexes in Pensacola, Fort Waltong Beach, and Crestview. I live pretty much in the NE section and I'm a single mom making $12 so you could live on your income alone here. If you don't have a specific area you have to move to check out Fort Walton Beach and the area around it. Okaloosa County has one of the best school districts in the state and low crime levels. Before I moved here I read on a forum that you should stay east of 110 and north of 10, that's pretty accurate in my opinion. I'm right on the line below 10 and in a safe neighborhood less than 5min from the on-ramps to 10 and 110. You say you're not worried about schools but your child is 19mths, it may seem far away but it'll be here before you know it. By 4 you'll have him in preschool, that's only 2yrs away and it's expensive to move. The school system in Escambia County is not one that I intend to put my almost 3yr old in. Santa Rosa County schools are much better. And yes the crime rate here is not good, but yes it depends on the area you're in too. I'm from a small town in PA and the crime bothers me more than anything. I've been here a year and am already planning a move away from here by February or March. The beaches are gorgeous and you don't have to worry about tourists for the most part like they do in other towns, but it's just not worth it to me, my son's education and safety and growing up in a safe community will come first. Good luck with your search.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,246 times
Thank you all, your advice has been very helpful The crime bit scares me a little so I hope we are making a right decision. I am just so sick and tired of Dallas and all the rush hour traffic. There's no beach and nothing to do at all (I don't mean in a clubbing way, I mean in 'outdoorsy' way). My husband loves fishing and canoeing so we are really looking forward to that.
We were hoping to rent a house instead of an apartment though, would be nice to have a private garden for our son and cats. We have put in an application for a house in North East Pensacola (North of I-10) and fingers crossed all will go well now
Milton and Pace do seem nice, we're just not sure there will be any jobs for us and commute seems a bit long.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:32 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,394,291 times
Default Crime in Pensacola

Trust me, the crime in Pensacola pales in comparison to the crime in Dallas. Even though you are in Mckinney you still get the same News stations as Dallas and are in the Dallas area. Believe me in Dallas there is a murder almost every day. People can not even go to the store without being in danger of being car jacked or held up at gun point. Pensacola is much less dangerous than most areas of Dallas and the suburbs are just as safe or safer than Dallas Suburbs. .

Old 11-09-2014, 01:55 PM

34 posts, read 123,028 times
I feel very safe living in the western part of Escambia Co.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 PM

939 posts, read 758,752 times
Half of American's are sex offenders. Most just don't realize it.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:11 PM

638 posts, read 972,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Trust me, the crime in Pensacola pales in comparison to the crime in Dallas. Even though you are in Mckinney you still get the same News stations as Dallas and are in the Dallas area. Believe me in Dallas there is a murder almost every day. People can not even go to the store without being in danger of being car jacked or held up at gun point. Pensacola is much less dangerous than most areas of Dallas and the suburbs are just as safe or safer than Dallas Suburbs. .
Escambia county has had the same murder rate as Dallas since 2011... Obviously the sheer numbers are different because Dallas has a much larger population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola