Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 02:54 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,284 times

Advertisements

I'm unsure if this should be in another forum (Renting, Retirement), but since it's specific to Panama City, I chose here.

Is there any particular online resource others have found useful for finding elderly/senior/55+ housing in Panama City?

Here's why I need it. My mum lives independently, is in great health at 83 & lives in a senior apt complex (55+) in PA. She's near my oldest brother & that's great, as she has someone nearby to regularly visit & particularly, she's not alone should she need help.

However, my brother will be moving to Panama City next year & my mum would like to live near him in senior housing, preferably in the same town. To make it clear... no, she doesn't need assisted living... she's in great shape & health, but prefers to live in a quieter community (55+). Also, no, she won't be living with my brother & his family & doesn't want to... she likes her privacy & independence & will be in her own flat, so I wasn't looking for suggestions on how she could comfortably live with him.

I've searched & have come across a few sites, but 1 lists only 1 community (SeniorHousingNet.com) & others show nothing. It's FL where there are a lot of retirees... there has to be more than 1 senior housing complex in Panama City. When I search on rent.net & all the other rental sites I normally use to find a flat, I don't find a lot for 55+, so I'm not sure which site to utilize. For example... when I lived in Encinitas, CA, there were 1/2-dozen 55+ complexes around me, but when I searched online, I couldn't find them. Why is that? Should I be searching through AARP or some such organization?

Can anyone help or guide me in the right direction, so I can begin searching for her? They will be visiting Panama City this summer so my brother can look for a house, but I'd also like to give him a list of a few senior apts he can check out with my mum.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 07:31 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
The St. Joe company is talking about a huge retirement village in the future.

St. Joe Co. reveals vision for its Bay-Walton communities // MAP - Business - The News Herald

Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,727,068 times
I don't recall any neighborhoods in PC proper, but I do know that Palmetto Trace in Panama City Beach is a 55 and over community.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Thank you, both. I also should have said, she wants to rent, not own. I'm not finding much, but it's early in my searching.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
The Panhandle just doesn't have the big retirement communities that the Peninsula gets because winters here can be bitterly cold by Florida standards.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The Panhandle just doesn't have the big retirement communities that the Peninsula gets because winters here can be bitterly cold by Florida standards.
Oh, I see, Beach, thank you. Maybe I'll just look for ordinary rentals for her. As long as she's either on the 1st floor or has an elevator, she'll be fine.

In her senior community now, she has heat & a/c included in her rent. Can't tell you how much that saves, especially given that it's now 0 degrees. Also, I was guessing/hoping many senior apts also include some utilities... she also has free extended cable, which is a big savings, too.

The other bonus is it's so incredibly quiet here. I'm visiting through Feb & when I've slept here, there's not a noise all night long... it's wonderful.

Thank you, All! Have a great weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola