Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 06:02 AM

4 posts, read 3,700 times

Advertisements

We can't seem what we want in a house by the current listing and have come across the option to buy a house that hasn't been built yet with Adams Homes of NW FL. We weren't even thinking of this when we started this house search but it definitely has it appeal. I haven seen some negative things about them but I would still have to think that if they build as many homes as they do, surely they're a good builder?? The big thing I've found is about foundation settling on the sandy soil and cracking. It seems the wave of homes they built in 2006 are the complaints I've found online and those problems started right away and not recently. We're looking specifically in Crestview, FL. Does anyone have experience with them? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 807 times
I myself just moved into a brand new (built for me) Adams home in Milton, FL. Like you I did hours of research and also read about the foundation problems that seemed common several years ago. Also the hundreds of minor complaints that seem to plague a lot of negative reviews. Mostly people whining about trivial things.

Anyway, I should probably let you know a little about myself. I am a single male and at one time in my life was in residential construction so I kind of know what I'm talking about. Also, I am nowhere near as picky as the average homeowner and understand the millions of small things that WILL occur with a brand new home, especially as it settles over the first year or two. No matter how perfect a house is built there will be small cracks that appear in the corners, along door jambs, along caulk lines etc. no matter what. Just a fact of physics. I have no problems fixing these issues myself as they appear.

Now my house was built on fairly sandy soil but I watched the construction of the foundation and am very comfortable with the methods used. They installed huge cinderblock footings and then poured a solid slab on top of all that. Also, I believe they are using a newer type concrete which contains some type of synthetic fiber. I've gone so far as to ask several neighbors and NONE are having foundation issues. The overall fit and finish of my new house is excellent. The appliances and fixtures are mid-grade to upper mid-grade and I'm very happy with mine so far. The exterior brick and vinyl siding are neat and look professional.

I was able to walkthrough at various stages and everything is built with hurricanes in mind. Very impressed with the level of additional bracing and ties used throughout. Of course this is required by code but it has added great peace of mind.

Again, I did buy in Milton and my overall experience was very positive. I know nothing of the crews in Crestview but I would highly recommend driving through the neighborhood on a Saturday afternoon and talk to everyone you can. That in itself should reveal any underlying problems. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
View detailed profiles of: