Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 07:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,429 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering moving to Pensacola. We have been there once and I did like the Pensacola Beach area. Are there other beach areas nearer the city? I don't want to have to pay a toll every time we go to the beach plus if we locate in the city I am hoping we can find a nice place to read right on the beach with some charm and that is close by (wherever that may be). From looking at google maps there appears to be a nice beach near the Pensacola lighthouse but not sure if that is on a military base.

Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:32 AM

317 posts, read 822,942 times
The toll is $1.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:48 PM

2,268 posts, read 7,312,335 times
There is no toll to get to Navarre Beach and that is on Santa Rosa Island, just like Pensacola Beach. Other nice beaches are in the Perdido Key area. The lighthouse is on the base.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:20 PM

Thanks! What I wonder about is when looking at a map there is a whole lot of coastline around Pensacola. I am guessing a lot of the coast, especially the coast east and northeast of the city, is not good for swimming or all on private property. From the one time I visited Pensacola Beach we really liked it. We loved eating at Flounders and another restaurant across the street (Crab something or other). I liked the boardwalk area. If fact as part of our retirement budget we are planning a meal once a week at Pensacola Beach. I guess the toll won't break my budget, but I may not want to deal with the traffic all the time, once a week would be fine.

I was just hoping to find a place within a 10 to 15 minutes from where we will live (and I do not know anything about the city but am going to research the neighborhoods) where we could just relax by the water, a nice park or any area with some charm right on the water. Even though I can't swim a lick I love being by water, very relaxing to me. Hopefully when it is hot I could enjoy a little breeze that seems to be more typical in coastal areas.

There are some good websites with home listings and I can explore the neighborhoods with google maps. We love to walk so hopefully there are some nice wooded, safe parks or walking areas. I saw some photos of the downtown area and it looks like another area where we could hang out for a day and have a nice meal, drink, or even a cup of coffee.

I have read on forums about the slow pace and that there is nothing to do. Maybe I am like the settler on the Gieco commercial, settling for less. I just want to find some nice places to have a meal, to take some walks, to hang out and read a book, and to have a beer (I am spoiled in the Albuquerque area as there are microbreweries everywhere). I especially like places with an outdoor patio and where you can people watch.

We are also considering the Panama City area but from our one visit I am thinking there are more home options and maybe a little more charm in the Pensacola area. I like big old trees and I think there are even some little hills in the Pensacola area.

I guess I am rambling a bit, I will have more questions and I appreciate any responses from people that know the area.

Gary

Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 AM

2,268 posts, read 7,312,335 times
The water you see on maps of Pensacola is the bay, not the Gulf of Mexico. There are also a lot of bayous. Once you cross the bridge into Gulf Breeze, the body of water between GB and Pensacola Beach is Santa Rosa Sound, aka the Intracoastal Waterway. Personally, I wouldn't swim in anything other than the Gulf, and you have to go out to the barrier island (Pensacola Beach or Navarre Beach) in order to do that.

Since you just want water to look at, you have plenty of other options than going out to the beach. Downtown is the best place for hanging out, having a beer, etc. There's a nice little park on Bayou Texar in the East Hill neighborhood (would be a good place to look for a house) and Gulf Breeze has a very nice park off Shoreline Drive.

I would suggest you rent a place for a year before buying a home since you have only visited once. Vacationing on Pensacola Beach is nothing like living in Pensacola. And the "breeze" you are looking for on the coast won't help you when it's hot and humid. Did you visit in the summer?

Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,719,381 times
The Naval Live Oaks area of Gulf Islands National Seashore is just east of Gulf Breeze proper on that peninsula. They've got a lot of coastline and a number of hiking trails there. Down side is when they say' watch for snakes', they really mean it.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 PM

I would suggest you rent a place for a year before buying a home since you have only visited once. Vacationing on Pensacola Beach is nothing like living in Pensacola. And the "breeze" you are looking for on the coast won't help you when it's hot and humid. Did you visit in the summer?[/quote]

I know it will be hot in the summer and the weather will probably be a downgrade compared to where we are living now. Summer days are hot in Albuquerque but dry and nights are always comfortable.

We probably would rent first, in the meantime I am going to research, research, and do more research. We will probably vacation in the Panama City Beach/Destin area a couple more times before we make any move. We are going to be in Destin for a week first week of June.

My wife wants us to also consider the Panama City/Panama City Beach area as well. She thinks the beaches are nicer there but I know the weather will impact how clear the water is. Our one day in Pensacola two years ago was after a huge rain storm. I think Pensacola has a little more charm.

Gary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola