Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 07:19 AM

9 posts, read 14,360 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Destin from Gulf Breeze to get away from Pensacola. We just don't like having it as the only place where we can shop and entertain. Pensacola Beach doesn't have even one department store or nice museum. We like the atmosphere in Destin. We feel we'll have more to do (am i right?). Because we're moving we a 5 yrs old about to start real school we wonder how it is? How are looking to rent the first 2 years and then buy around the elementary school in Dentin, how is the community there? We completely understand the touristy part of that area and we're ok with it, I think. I come from a city like New York so I love people and traffic doesn't matter much to me and my husband will be working in Ft. Walton 8 miles from the area we picked to rent. My questions:

How is that little community?
What activities (besides water sports) are there to do with a 5 yrs old dearing girl?
How is the school there?
Is it a diverse community (cultural background)?
How open is the community to new residents (how welcoming)?
How are halloweens, christmas, parades, traditions, etc?
Catholic church?
Hospitals/ Health care?

Thank you for any input! This will be our third move as a family (From Boston to Sarasota to Gulf Breeze to Destin...and done!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:54 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almacaux View Post
My family is moving to Destin from Gulf Breeze to get away from Pensacola. We just don't like having it as the only place where we can shop and entertain. Pensacola Beach doesn't have even one department store or nice museum. We like the atmosphere in Destin. We feel we'll have more to do (am i right?). Because we're moving we a 5 yrs old about to start real school we wonder how it is? How are looking to rent the first 2 years and then buy around the elementary school in Dentin, how is the community there? We completely understand the touristy part of that area and we're ok with it, I think. I come from a city like New York so I love people and traffic doesn't matter much to me and my husband will be working in Ft. Walton 8 miles from the area we picked to rent. My questions:

How is that little community?
What activities (besides water sports) are there to do with a 5 yrs old dearing girl?
How is the school there?
Is it a diverse community (cultural background)?
How open is the community to new residents (how welcoming)?
How are halloweens, christmas, parades, traditions, etc?
Catholic church?
Hospitals/ Health care?

Thank you for any input! This will be our third move as a family (From Boston to Sarasota to Gulf Breeze to Destin...and done!)
I'm not sure what you mean by the Little community? Are you referring to the immediate area around the elementary school? Or Destin as a whole? I would never describe Destin as a little community. Its population grows significantly during the summer, as I'm sure you are aware. The normal population is about 14K but even then I would never call it a small town. Niceville on the other hand with a similar population has small town feel. Though all the shopping is in Destin.

The area around the school is the original "Destin" neighborhood, and has older homes, and townhouses type living. The newer apts and homes are further east. But I was driving through there on Sat (to avoid the traffic on hwy 98, and it is generally well kept up. Destin does seem to have the issue a lack of the large middle class neighborhoods (you have the very well heeled waterfront neighborhoods and Condos and Apt complexes and older homes) that would draw young families moving in and planning to stay for the long haul..compared to say Niceville. The reason could be the lack of high school. Destin is zoned for Fort Walton Beach High School, or they get waivered to go to Niceville. By the time you need high school that might change. Also I have heard mixed reviews on Destin Middle school. One parent told me that if you don't live in Kelly Plantation or Regatta Bay your opinion doesn't count. Not saying that is true, just an opinion of someone I was speaking with recently. Others are quite happy.

It is a fairly transient area, due to the large military population and the general desire to move to FL. As far as culturally diverse - I would just say it is about 90% white. As the parent of a different race child than me, I can say I notice that other than tourists, it is pretty lacking in diversity.

I think there are at least two catholic Churches. There is a Scared Heart hospital in San Destin and other one in FWB. It has all the dentist, Dr, etc offices that you would need.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:58 PM

28 posts, read 26,750 times
We have been thinking of moving to Sarasota or Destin/Panhandle area. May I ask why you left Sarasota?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM

237 posts, read 245,619 times
I have lived in Destin a lot of years now. We used to live within walking distance of the elementary school, then sold that house and now we're in Indian Bayou. It's the neighborhood on the bayou and golf course behind those apartments you see in the middle of Destin. It's a very central location. Destin is a small town and has a very small town feel, most people know everyone and their parents. I think outsiders don't see that because they see the 98 part of destin and it's completely different when you live here. In some ways that can be bad because everyone will know your business...

The elementary school is great and the parental/teacher involvement is phenomenal. There is never a lack of volunteers in this city when it comes to school or community/sports activities. You won't have any problems there at all. I have had 3 kids go through the middle school and haven't really seen anything awful or out of the norm. Never once had an issue in all the years my 3 kids have attended there. Every child and their needs are different so of course there are going to be people who have had a bad experience, but it's going to be the minority and there are always 2 sides to every story, especially involving children!

There are quite a few parades in Destin and if you're involved with cheer at the community center or the destin little league your kids can be in the parades. My daughter did cheer so was in the christmas parade/seafood festival/christmas tree lighting when she was a lot younger and was on the little league float a few times. The community center offers a variety of sports and the kids can go play there in the summer.

The community is great about welcoming new people and you'll have no problem there. Diversity is growing, I would say it's grown significantly in the last 5 years. It's really a non issue now and I imagine it will continue to to change. I am hispanic and my kids and I have never had a problem. I would be much more worried about that in Freeport than I would in Destin.

There is an emergency room on airport road and I've been there more times than I care to count. I've never had to wait in the waiting room for longer than 3 minutes, no matter the season or time of day. Coming from a big city with a population of 1mil +, that is a HUGE perk.

There are probably only 2 catholic churches in Destin but tons in the surrounding areas.

Halloween is very active here. Our neighborhood (indian bayou) is the most popular spot. Most people drop their kids off in here. People ride around in their golf carts and have a great time. We give out full size candy bars so please come on halloween, the whole neighborhood loves it.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:23 AM

8 posts, read 11,980 times
hi.
Where would you say is the SAFEST area, and NON FLOOD/STORM ZONE?

We do not have a LOT of money, so looking for NICE mobile home in a NICE and SAFE mobile home park... like 30-40K

Looking at: Pennsacola, Destin, Panama City, anywhere really, near town/city and/or beaches! We want to be near shopping, city/town and beaches (if poss)

I'm charting my research, and sending to realtors - NO FLOOD ZONE!! Had to convince hubby as his dad is in gulf breeze, but they RENT an apt. we are planning on buying a mobile home, so, it would COST US!!!!

REAL ESTATE
We r looking for mobile home, in GOOD - NICE - SAFE area, with pool/pool house, etc. Looking to sped$30-40K 3 bd 3 bth - must allow dogs!! Near (15+ - 30 min) to city/town, shopping, groceries, restaurants, beaches.

JOB OPPORTUNTIES
Hubbys last 10 yrs has consisted of: Fast Food Manager, driver, office asst, production asst (UFC), driver, carpentry and counselor/teacher in ministry. So wish to be near areas of opportunity for him.

I'm handicapped but do things like: face painting (kids parties, costume/thematic parties, Halloween, etc.); Make Overs (make up, attire, some hair and nails); custom painted clothing, and my fave... yard sales/storage wars - buy/fix/resell!!! Anothers junk is TRULY my treasure LOL

There are beaches EVERYWHERE from what I've seen/researched, and of course we want to be as close to a beach as poss, but NO STORM zone.

Thanks for any help u can give

Helyn S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola