U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2016, 08:15 PM

7 posts, read 7,157 times

Advertisements

Hi, our family is seriously considering a move to the panhandle from the Tampa Bay area. We want more land, 1 acre or more but withing 15 minutes of the beach and have seen that you can get a much nicer home for less with more land in the panhandle.
So before going through with the move, I have a few if not more questions. Any help greatly appreciated.
First off we have 4 children ages 8, 7, 5 and 2.
Our 8 year old son has Down syndrome. So it is important that we can provide him with all the therapies he is getting here. Speech, Occupational, Physical amd soon ABA.
We do Not vaccinate. We have medicaid insurance and more specifically CMS for Noah.
#1. It is a long shot but does anybody know of a pediatrician anywhere in the panhandle who takes Medicaid and does not require vaccinations?
#2. Organic shopping options/co-ops?
#3. Areas of Panhandle you recommend that have some land and nice homes, not trashy and run down looking, safe? That are no more than a 20 minute drive to beach?
When I look at real estate, areas that catch my eye are: Perdido Key, Santa Rosa Beach, Pensacola ( only along the coastline)
I know Gulf Breeze isnice but my husband does not want us to be surrounded by bodies of water and we recall the traffic that happens with only having the small highway.
Okay hopefully somebody has some kind advice...God bless!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:44 PM

7,216 posts, read 15,138,203 times
You'll typically pay dearly for large lots near the coast. Even though there aren't a ton of people up here, the Department of Defense owns about 90-95% of the land between I-10 and the Gulf in Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, and western Walton (and eastern Walton is heavy on the conservation easements) You might find an older subdivision in the Navarre-Midway area that was platted out before the Santa Rosa County housing boom and has acre+ lots that are not insanely priced. What's your budget?

For organics, there's a new Whole Foods in Destin, For the Health of It grocery in Blue Mountain Beach, and Ever'man in Pensacola as well as the obligatory Greenwise section in conventional grocery stores.

Note that the military makes this weird disease vector central- they've had SARS in local elementary schools, and the winter's rhinovirus probably got her by way of Uzbekistan, Italy, or South Korea

Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 AM

Thank you beachmouse! Well, our budget is depending on the sale of a few properties. My parents are moving from California, so everything is going to feel affordable to them
We are either wanting 2 homes at 250k give or take a few thousand or s myltifamily home 500k and below. We are looking for the diamond in the rough. My husband is a carpenter/handyman so he wants something cheaper he can improve. I look at real estate all the time, love it and though we do not find many in our budget and other details, twe certainly come closet in the panhandle conpared to Pinellas county, where we currently live.
My main thing is we have only visited a few times. Looking for insider recommendations of what it is really like. What areas to avoid. How long does it really take to get to the beach from different areas and such. I guess what I need to do is make a list of some more exact locations and then ask what you all think of those. Like Perdido Key? What can be said of the area?
Thanks again!!!

Old 11-12-2016, 09:24 AM

I remember what the barrier islands looked like after Hurricane Ivan and would never buy a primary residence on one. The nicer areas of the mainland by Perdido Key are largely military families who like the convenience of being near the NAS Pensacola west gate. Elementary schools over there are supposedly good, but 7-12 in Escambia County can apparently be a little more problematic.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:23 PM

Ah good point...yes, I know my husband will not want to pay outrageous insurance either.. Yes and the schools are not that great I noticed. Although I do plan on homeschooling in the next year or so. Hard to decide. Hmmm, where do u recommend for a family that wants lets say 1/2 acre or more, within 20 to 30 minutes to beach with organic shopping within 30 to 45 minute drive in the panhandle? Not trashy, run down looking either and limit of 450k? Anybody ?

Old 11-13-2016, 07:36 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,825 posts, read 3,492,978 times
Moderator cut: off topic also, the poster has a child with Down's and they may fall under a special access program

re vaccinations: I've worked in Community Health for years in multiple states - I don't know of any pediatricians who accept Medicaid and are "vaccination friendly" - I think there *may* be some concierge physicians in the Panhandle that do not vaccinate - but plan to pay cash

Last edited by Marka; 11-19-2016 at 01:58 AM..

Old 11-13-2016, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Yes, that's interesting - this poster states they have "a few properties" and "parents are moving from California" - perhaps the poster's parents/family own these properties and plan to buy real estate for them? However, I do not know the intricacies of Florida's Medicaid law - also, the poster has a child with Down's and they may fall under a special access program
It's common in many states for kids with extreme health problems to be covered by Medicaid. I've got a couple of nephews who are on it (rare genetic disorder) even though they're in a six figure income family.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:19 AM

Yes because of Noahs down syndrome, we have medicaid for him. We do not have a choice, we tried to get regular insurance and were denied because of pre existing medical condition. The amount we can afford is because of my parents. It is their money, they will be buying and living with us.
My husband is a handyman and on our own we make very little. Also we may not be buying together and if that happens we will not be able to afford in the 540k range.

Old 11-14-2016, 01:19 PM

1,236 posts, read 2,531,916 times
You will definitely have to home school. Unless you can are asking for a religious exemption, your kids cannot attend public or private schools. I had an issue when I moved here from out of state, they didn't recognize a foreign vaccine. I had to start from scratch with a 12 year old. Although the previous state didn't have an issue.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:03 AM

4,619 posts, read 1,457,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
You will definitely have to home school. Unless you can are asking for a religious exemption, your kids cannot attend public or private schools. I had an issue when I moved here from out of state, they didn't recognize a foreign vaccine. I had to start from scratch with a 12 year old. Although the previous state didn't have an issue.
Really? Please post the state law in Florida that shows no unvaccinated children can attend school.

I can wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola