U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 2,292 times

Advertisements

I'm 28 living in NY and am ready to move. I lived in Navarre during high school and liked it for the most part but wanted to move back to NY so when i was 18 i did. After being back in NY for 10 years I've had enough and am ready to move back to Florida. I stayed with a friend last winter in fort walton and really enjoyed it. It is just so much nicer and more laid back than ny not to mention the main reason I want to move...its CHEAPER! way cheaper.

anyway, I have a boyfriend but he refuses to come with me but I am at a point where i cannot stay here for much longer before i go insane. So I am thinking of coming myself.

My question is have any of you moved to florida alone, and if so how much did you save before you came? And how did you make out with making new friends? i have a few friends in the area but would like to meet some new people of course. I feel like i just need a major change of scenery and I honestly don't mind starting over and being alone. It actually is kind of exciting for me!

I am 28 as i said with no kids. At first i will probably try and rent a room until i get settled so i hopefully wont pay more than like 400-600 for rent. I have a car payment/insurance and then my phone bill. but that's basically it. I am in the process of paying down my two credit cards so when i come I wont have to worry about those payments. I plan on getting a job as soon as i get there. I will not have one lined up. I have office experience / banking experience so I am hoping to maybe get a job at either a bank or at an office/hotel front desk. I would even work retail when i first get there so i have something right away until i got a better job. My point being no matter what i will find a job somewhere fast lol.

i know how to live on a budget and like i said at first i am not trying to get anything fancy. i basically just want to get out of here and figure it out once i get there and get settled.

I'm not renting a moving truck because i'm not bringing much. basically just clothes so I am gonna drive down most likely, so as far as the move down i will just have to pay for tolls/gas and maybe 1 night at a cheap hotel.

i am thinking 5000 would be good to save before i move. what do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 05:00 PM

253 posts, read 140,848 times
Wow you have got a nice plan. I'm thinking it would be better if you had a job lined up first. It would be a lot easier that way. But whatever you decide, I wish you luck. Maybe someone would advise you on how much you should save before driving down. Coming alone is a brave thing, but I'm sure other people have done the same.

I just wanted to tell you that your post sounds like you are not happy where you are now. You're willing to leave people you love in hopes of a fresh start. I really hope it works out for you that way, but please know that true happiness comes from within. Not in geography.

I just wanted to share my opinion with you and I truly wish you the best.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 PM

thank you

and yes it is true i am not happy here. while i am working on being internally happy(lifelong journey of mine lol) i feel as though my surroundings have been causing me alot of stress as well. it is so much to live here, its almost suffocating. the county i live in in NY is the most expensive county in the US and it is taking its toll.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:18 AM

204 posts, read 196,003 times
I think 5,000$ is a fair goal to shoot for. If you had a 650$ car payment, that might be a different story. It sounds like you are willing to immediately find work and it doesn't have to be your expertise so that income can be generated and you avoid squandering that 5,000 quickly. With you spending time in the area, you know that most jobs are retail/service related. As far as having no friends when you move, we in the military, do that our whole careers and we move not on our terms or when we want. You can control when, and how you want to do it. Every place I have moved to, I have made life long friends and you will do also. Best of luck in your move.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:37 AM

57 posts, read 52,462 times
Reading your post, I had to respond. I'm much older than you and had several opportunities to move, once as close as all packed and ready to go and chickened out at the last minute.

Now, I'm deep in my job which I really like and get paid decent so I'd be crazy to leave it so my plan is to hopefully one day convince them to work remotely.

My point is, you sound like you are in a great position to make the move now, while you're still young and not too deeply committed to anything. And who knows, maybe your boyfriend will come visit you and find he likes it? But you need to follow your heart and what is going to make you happy because if you're happy, the rest I believe will fall into place.

The fact you don't have to rent a truck will cut way down on your moving expenses so that is a bonus.

As far as work, while ideal to have a job already waiting for you, based on your background, I think you could immediately hook up with a couple of placement/temp agencies (not exactly what they're called now). I used to use them and basically, you show them your skills, tell them if you want short-term, long-term, or temp-to-perm jobs and they'll do their best to find assignments for you. At least you'll have income and gain some references at the same time. Also, one of these assignments could turn into a hiring opportunity.

I wish you the best. I'm miserable where I am (New England) and badly want to move to the Panhandle. It's beautiful and the people are great. Good luck to you!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:42 AM

57 posts, read 52,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
As far as having no friends when you move, we in the military, do that our whole careers and we move not on our terms or when we want. You can control when, and how you want to do it.
p.s. To the poster, I meant to add regarding making friends, there's Meetup which covers just about every kind of interest where people form groups to plan, well, meet ups. You can go to their website and see what groups are around the area you want to move. You can sign up in a group and attend the ones that interest you.

p.s.s. To JJAF, thank you for your service!

Old 04-10-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJAF View Post
I think 5,000$ is a fair goal to shoot for. If you had a 650$ car payment, that might be a different story. It sounds like you are willing to immediately find work and it doesn't have to be your expertise so that income can be generated and you avoid squandering that 5,000 quickly. With you spending time in the area, you know that most jobs are retail/service related. As far as having no friends when you move, we in the military, do that our whole careers and we move not on our terms or when we want. You can control when, and how you want to do it. Every place I have moved to, I have made life long friends and you will do also. Best of luck in your move.

I deff don't have a 650 car payment thank God! haha. and thank you for the nice response i am looking foward to moving even more now with the positive responses i have gotten

Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country-n-Sunshine View Post
Reading your post, I had to respond. I'm much older than you and had several opportunities to move, once as close as all packed and ready to go and chickened out at the last minute.

Now, I'm deep in my job which I really like and get paid decent so I'd be crazy to leave it so my plan is to hopefully one day convince them to work remotely.

My point is, you sound like you are in a great position to make the move now, while you're still young and not too deeply committed to anything. And who knows, maybe your boyfriend will come visit you and find he likes it? But you need to follow your heart and what is going to make you happy because if you're happy, the rest I believe will fall into place.

The fact you don't have to rent a truck will cut way down on your moving expenses so that is a bonus.

As far as work, while ideal to have a job already waiting for you, based on your background, I think you could immediately hook up with a couple of placement/temp agencies (not exactly what they're called now). I used to use them and basically, you show them your skills, tell them if you want short-term, long-term, or temp-to-perm jobs and they'll do their best to find assignments for you. At least you'll have income and gain some references at the same time. Also, one of these assignments could turn into a hiring opportunity.

I wish you the best. I'm miserable where I am (New England) and badly want to move to the Panhandle. It's beautiful and the people are great. Good luck to you!

thank you so much for the positive response. I do have hope that when i make the move my boyfriend will consider moving down or atleast visiting to see how he likes it, but as of now he is against it. so we shall see. but i really do think moving down there is something i need to do so i know the rest will work out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or