U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2017, 08:28 AM

1,456 posts, read 3,706,164 times

Advertisements

We will be driving from New Orleans to Okaloosa Island(South of Fort Walton Beach).

1) What route would you suggest to take? any toll roads/bridges?

2) Any recommendations for restaurants in Okaloosa Island?

Thanks,
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:31 AM

8,238 posts, read 9,990,552 times
For speed, you can take I10 and cut south on 85. For uninterrupted views, you can travel south at Pensacola to the Okaloosa National Seashore. For a direct route, you can take 98. -- What is your objective?

As with routes, there are an almost range of restaurants ... including those across the bridge in Destin. Sealand and Magnolia Grill in Fort Walton are nice. Asiagos on Okaloosa Island is good for breakfast. Additionally, there are a ton of chains and tourist traps. Again, what is your objective?

Old 06-03-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
For speed, you can take I10 and cut south on 85. For uninterrupted views, you can travel south at Pensacola to the Okaloosa National Seashore. For a direct route, you can take 98. -- What is your objective?

As with routes, there are an almost range of restaurants ... including those across the bridge in Destin. Sealand and Magnolia Grill in Fort Walton are nice. Asiagos on Okaloosa Island is good for breakfast. Additionally, there are a ton of chains and tourist traps. Again, what is your objective?

road objective: find the best route based on what people say.

restaurants objective: make a list for eats based on what people recommend.

thanks,

Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,553,346 times
I believe you mean Gulf Islands National Seashore, which is accessible from Hwy 98. There is a small park on Okaloosa Island that is part of the National Seashore, but it is mainly used for kite flyers etc. on the bay.

As for restaurants, there a few on the Island itself, most of the located at the Boardwalk. Yes they are all tourist traps, but can be fun. We like the Black Pearl if you get a set by the beach. The newest restaurant on the Island is called the Gulf, which is actually located on the Bay, go across 98 to the Bay side and you see it. (Ignore the strip joints) It is a fun place as well. Old Bay steamer is located on Santa Rose Blvd, but I hear it has gone downhill...depends on what you are looking for. Destin has the better restaurants, Dewey Destins is my favorite. There are plenty to choose from at the Destin Harbor. If you head to FWB, then Giovanni's 189 is good, if not easy to get to coming from the Island. Bay Café is good as well (French=$$$). Magnolia Grill is a great place to go for a short history of FWB, but I personally find it a little heavy for summer time eating.

Coming from LA I would take I10 to 85 south at Crestview. If you don't want tolls take it to FWB, if you don't mind tolls you can take the bypass around Niceville to the Mid bay bridge, then head right once you reach Destin, that will give you a good view of Destin to see the options there.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:16 AM

7,275 posts, read 15,279,446 times
No reason to take the mid-bay bridge if you're coming to Okaloosa Island from the west. All you do is add travel time (the bridge backs up horribly on Saturday afternoons and evenings in Niceville in the summer) and distance. Just go to your hotel/condo via 85 or 98, check-in and freshen up and then do the pretty Gulf front drive on 98 from the Island to Destin.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM

132 posts, read 115,757 times
Whatever Beachmouse says, I would do that.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
No reason to take the mid-bay bridge if you're coming to Okaloosa Island from the west. All you do is add travel time (the bridge backs up horribly on Saturday afternoons and evenings in Niceville in the summer) and distance. Just go to your hotel/condo via 85 or 98, check-in and freshen up and then do the pretty Gulf front drive on 98 from the Island to Destin.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola