Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,893 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I was thinking about moving with my fiancé (soon to be married) to Pensacola, FL at the beginning of next year. We currently live in Louisiana and we are looking for a huge change due to personal matters. My company has a location in Pensacola, and we really want to be close to the beach so I figured it would be a good idea to put a transfer in and make the move. I am 24, she is 26. I do warehouse work and she is a dog groomer. Plan was for her to open up her own shop after she had some contacts in the area, while I applied to the local electrical union.

After what I'm reading it seems like it's maybe not the greatest idea. Crime does not bother us as we live in one of the highest crime ridden cities in the country (NOT New Orleans). But the stagnant wages, and dead atmosphere that I keep reading about have me worried that this may not be the place. We already live in a metro area that is NOT growing and we don't want to continue that way. We want somewhere a bit more vibrant.

We are going there for our honeymoon in a few months so I guess we will see then. Can someone please tell me if people are just down on Pensacola for some reason?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 11:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,333,657 times
Pensacola is changing....finally. Downtown has undergone a nice revitalization with shops, restaurants, etc. They even allow a few food trucks there now I assume you will be honeymooning on Pensacola Beach. That is Pensacola's greatest asset, IMO. Just remember that you will most likely not be living on the beach and will probably be heading out there when everyone else is as well (think traffic). Speaking of traffic, make sure you take that into consideration when figuring out where to live.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Pensacola is changing....finally. Downtown has undergone a nice revitalization with shops, restaurants, etc. They even allow a few food trucks there now I assume you will be honeymooning on Pensacola Beach. That is Pensacola's greatest asset, IMO. Just remember that you will most likely not be living on the beach and will probably be heading out there when everyone else is as well (think traffic). Speaking of traffic, make sure you take that into consideration when figuring out where to live.
Thanks! Yes we will be honeymooning hopefully close to the beach. And, however unromantic it sounds, we do understand that during this honeymoon we will allocate time to check out the actual town of Pensacola and not just stay on the beach. All of the negative comments I read were in 2014 so I guess a good bit has changed in 2 years. Thanks again

Old 06-07-2017, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,386 times
We just moved to Pensacola two months ago from the northeast. So far we love it here. There is always something going on and everyone has been very friendly and helpful. Like you we were a little apprehensive after reading some of the comments on here. I our case the negative feedback proved to be untrue. I hope you enjoy Pensacola as much as we do.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
A lot of the negativity comes from it being hard to find a good job in many fields without personal connections, and if you've already got one decent-paying job lined up, a lot of concerns go away.

Also check out the beaches of Perdido Key on the way to Orange Beach, AL. I don't think they get quite the same traffic chaos that Pensacola Beach does on nice weekends

Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,238 times
Don't believe everything you hear. We just bought a house there within walking distance of downtown and love it!! The downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods are being revitalized and slowly but surely the houses are being renovated or replaced. Our house is in the Old East Hill area. Not to be confused with East Hill which is East of us and much higher priced. Old East Hill is a great mix of old shotgun style cottages, some businesses sprinkled in here and there and some new houses that aesthetically fit the surroundings. We love being so close to downtown, the bay and a short drive to the beach. Pensacola isn't perfect as no place is but it has rich culture, very nice people, lots going on and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:58 PM

136 posts, read 167,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karvay View Post
Pensacola isn't perfect as no place is but it has rich culture, very nice people, lots going on and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!

Exactly, If I ever move out of New Orleans, Pensacola is 1st on my list of places to live.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:18 PM

123 posts, read 334,010 times
I agree with Karvay that you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

I moved here 3 years ago and I can say without reservation is that the Pensacola metro area is a great place to live. Granted that regardless of where you live there is going to be some crime and poverty but Pensacola has a lot of really good things to offer as well like great shopping, lots of restaurants, baseball, hockey and the beach. One of the main things you'll find here is that there is ALWAYS something going on every weekend. The only thing I can suggest is that you do your research on housing options so you locate in nice area and be conscious about what you're going to do in the event of a hurricane as we're about 4-5 years overdue. Depending ng on the intensity you don't want to be in a low area that's near the coast line as you'll have to evacuate as it's too dangerous to stay. I live inland about 45 minutes away from the beach and even that location is not 100% safe.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:48 PM

8 posts, read 30,963 times
Otijwil, thank you so much for asking these questions and thanks to all who responded. I too am relocating to the Pensacola/Pace this year (from Northern NV) and I have not read many positive things about the Panhandle in general. My fiance' is from Crestview, FL (but it has been a while since he has lived there) and would like to move back to the Panhandle. He suggested that I would like the Pensacola area being the beach baby I am. After reading all the negative comments I was apprehensive about making such a big move to an area I have not been to. This has brought me great comfort as he really has his heart set on it and I was excited to being moving back to a beach community (grew up on the beaches in So. Cali). We have our own business so looking for work is not an issue. My concern was more with community and finding things to do besides just hanging out on the beach. So all these comments are good to hear and as with all places there is good and bad. Just looking for more good than bad. :-) (I am aware of the humidity. I lived in Southern TN and Austin, TX not that long ago. Coming from a very dry area, I am sure it will be an adjustment again.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola