U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-30-2017, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Carson City NV
8 posts, read 9,312 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I am relocating to the Panhandle/Pensacola Area end of November. I will be looking to purchase a home, my price range will be $125k-150k. Can anyone tell me what are the better neighborhoods from Pensacola to Destin. (and/or the areas I should avoid due to a high crime rate) Looking for a nice quite neighborhood as I work from home.

My husband is from Crestview FL but it has been a bit since he has lived there and he is not familiar with this area. We may only be able to take a short trip out there before we move, so getting a heads up on the areas we should look in would be very helpful.

Thanks is advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2017, 10:46 AM
 
1,219 posts, read 2,481,616 times
Reputation: 630
Depending on how long it has been since he has been to Crestview, he will be surprised! It has grown considerably over the last 10 years.

Other than the normal petty crime, I think the whole area is fairly safe. Others can give you lowdown on the P'cola area. Of course there are certain areas to avoid, a look at the county crime statistics could help with that.

I think the area that you are choosing - Pensacola to Destin - is a large area to really narrow down to quiet neighborhoods. What other factors are you looking for, drive to beach, hospitals, shopping, dining. New builds, Schools, parks, walking etc.

As for the "better" neighborhoods - you might be surprised at how much that will cost. For instance in Niceville the ones some would consider the better neighborhoods will run you $400K and up. Not saying that there aren't great neighborhoods all over, but "better" is subjective.

I would definitely make a visit before purchasing, and since your area of interest is so wide, I would rent for awhile first. You might love one area and hate another. Again it is so subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2017, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Pace, Florida
118 posts, read 212,405 times
Reputation: 84
You might want to consider Pace if you have kids. Pace is an unincorporated area between Milton and Pensacola in Santa Rosa county and the schools are great. There are some new subdivisions in Pace where you may be able to find a new home on your price range as well. Pace has a Target and a Walmart and numerous places to eat. Low crime, low taxes and fairly convenient to Pensacola (about 20 minutes to the mall). Have lived in Pace for 3 years (retired) and very happy with our decision to move to this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Carson City NV
8 posts, read 9,312 times
Reputation: 10
Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
Depending on how long it has been since he has been to Crestview, he will be surprised! It has grown considerably over the last 10 years.

Other than the normal petty crime, I think the whole area is fairly safe. Others can give you lowdown on the P'cola area. Of course there are certain areas to avoid, a look at the county crime statistics could help with that.

I think the area that you are choosing - Pensacola to Destin - is a large area to really narrow down to quiet neighborhoods. What other factors are you looking for, drive to beach, hospitals, shopping, dining. New builds, Schools, parks, walking etc.

As for the "better" neighborhoods - you might be surprised at how much that will cost. For instance in Niceville the ones some would consider the better neighborhoods will run you $400K and up. Not saying that there aren't great neighborhoods all over, but "better" is subjective.

I would definitely make a visit before purchasing, and since your area of interest is so wide, I would rent for awhile first. You might love one area and hate another. Again it is so subjective.
I did some more research on housing and decided that Niceville/Destin is more than we want to spend on a house at this time. So we narrowed it down to Pensacola and surrounding area. It's been about 10 years since my husband was in Crestview.

I want to be closer to the beach and close to a good hospital as I have my elderly mother with me. We have decided to rent for 6 months to check out the area. Will do some research on crime statistics before even renting. Wanted to hear it from locals too. I did read where some one wrote to stay away from the Warrington and Contonment areas, but that was all I saw.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2017, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Carson City NV
8 posts, read 9,312 times
Reputation: 10
Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondoggy51 View Post
You might want to consider Pace if you have kids. Pace is an unincorporated area between Milton and Pensacola in Santa Rosa county and the schools are great. There are some new subdivisions in Pace where you may be able to find a new home on your price range as well. Pace has a Target and a Walmart and numerous places to eat. Low crime, low taxes and fairly convenient to Pensacola (about 20 minutes to the mall). Have lived in Pace for 3 years (retired) and very happy with our decision to move to this area.
From the very beginning we talked about Pace. It was in our price range. Close to Pensacola and close enough to the beaches. I liked everything I read about Pace but was swayed away from there when I read someones post about there being a Paper Factory there and how bad the smell was. I remember being in Alabama a 7 years ago and driving past a paper factory and how awful it smelt. Did I get bad info? Because I would still like to consider Pace.

I am semi-retired as well and as I said, I work from home and take care of my elderly mother. My husband still works and we do not have any children at home.

So hoping you can set the record straight for me because I was willing to purchase a home in Pace before moving out there because of all the great things my husband remembered about the town. I don't see much for rent in the area is why.

Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Carson City NV
8 posts, read 9,312 times
Reputation: 10
Moondoggy51, can you recommend a realtor in Pace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Pace, Florida
118 posts, read 212,405 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenchick888 View Post
I read someones post about there being a Paper Factory there and how bad the smell was. I remember being in Alabama a 7 years ago and driving past a paper factory and how awful it smelt. Did I get bad info? Because I would still like to consider Pace.
The paper mill is over in Cantonement on US 29 which is quite a ways away from Pace so your information was incorrect. That being said I will mention the following......

There is a chemical plant here in Pace that now is under scrutiny by the Florida EPA. When we moved here 3 1/2 years ago the plant would occasionally experience a spill/leak and the smell reminded me of dead fish that had sat in a hot dumpster for a week. From what we gathered from the locals this was somewhat of a frequent occurrence but once the state stepped in the problem seems to have disappeared as now the plant has to report every leak to the state EPA and there is some monitoring going on just to make sure that the plant reports every leak. It is my further understanding that the state EPA was going to start fining the company if the spills didn't stop so each time there is a spill the plant has to answer a whole lot of questions. As you might imagine the Plant doesn't want to pay any fines so spills now are few and far between and I honestly can't remember the last time they had a leak. Not to say that a leak will not occur but it's just a temporary bad smell that goes away rather quickly.

As far as a realtor goes I, unfortunately, cannot help you. Here's a link that might help you find someone if your looking for an existing home. https://www.realtor.com/realestateagents/Pace_FL. If, however, you are interested in a new home most new subdivisions have model homes open and have agents that work for the builders on hand or accessible within a few minutes and are happy to help you out. In our case my wife's cousin is a real estate agents and since she's family we went thru her so she could earn a commission on the sale but she typically operates in a different area in the Pensacola metro area. Sorry I cannot be of more help on that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Carson City NV
8 posts, read 9,312 times
Reputation: 10
Thanks for the info. Happy to hear the Paper factory isn't in Pace. I know that smell and it isn't pleasant. Happy to hear that the chemical plant has things under control. I currently live a few miles from a waste plant (we call the poop factroy..lol) the smell is as bad as you can imagine, however we only smell it if the wind is just right and it goes away rather quickly. So the rotten fish smell we can live with, being temporary of course.

No worries on the Realtor question. Thought if you knew someone, I would like them to get the commission.

Hope that if I have any other questions that you will be willing to answer them. Is this the best way to contact you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Pace, Florida
118 posts, read 212,405 times
Reputation: 84
If you click on my handle (Moondoggy51) in the message header there is an option to send a private message through the forum and I believe that I get a notice via my personal email that notifies me of that message. Unfortunately, I've had problems with friending people on other sites and/or giving out my personal email address so I simply don't do it anymore. This allows me to be helpful but anonymous at the same time.

The thing is though that a question you might have is a question someone else might have or be able to answer better that I so you might post it on the forum first before sending a private message. Just a thought.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top