Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navshirereeve View Post
DO NOT MOVE HERE!! Sure, the beaches are OK but the town is absolutely depressing. Escambia is one of the poorest counties in the nation and it shows.There are as many churches in P.cola than Mexico City has taco stands. IF you are a religious person, you may not be after you have lived here for a while. I was stationed here for 2 years and within the first week of being here I wanted to leave. The only good view of Pensacola is thru a rear view mirror.

Can you tell us the cause or reason why of your departure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 08:36 PM

77 posts, read 480,846 times
Transferred to Corpus Christi Tx, retired then moved to Austin Tx.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 33,763 times
Default Moving2pensacola

Yes, summer is hot and humid..but darling it's wonderful for your skin..lol...seriously it is! The humidity keeps the moisture in your skin and they say you don't wrinkle as easily..time will tell!
But, take St. Louis, MO..jeez, I lived there my whole life until I moved here 3 years ago...and it is just as hot and humid there as it is here
But you don't have the BEACHES in St. Louis! No ocean to jump into, watch the sunset and HAVE SO MUCH FUN.
You can play as hard as you want here or chill as much as you want to
Won't be long, you will be reading about Pensacola and "the place to live" the media is already going at it, same thing happened in Sarasota!
Overnight property values skyrocketed
Hope it answered some questions you might have about the area.
For example yesterday was cool..60 degrees during the day...but we have days in January that are 70 degrees during the day..night cools way off and it can get to freezing here.
We have more sunshine than most areas and that is supposed to keep people happy!
It is hard to describe our seasons...we have short Fall, Short Winter, Pretty short spring..and longer summer...that is how a local would describe it

Old 10-19-2008, 12:07 PM

41 posts, read 80,670 times
Lived in Pensacola for a MISERABLE 2 years. Moved there from Jacksonville due to my partners job relocation and FINALLY moved to St. Petersburg 2 years later. This city is MISERABLE. Job market is poor, poverty level incomes are the norm, there is little to no culture and the quality of life is absolutely horrendous.

Drug and alcohol abuse is very prevalent in Pensacola. Hate crime is not unusual. This is a huge Christian town so be prepared for intolerance if you are not a Christian wackjob. Rednecks everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if there is some underground KKK group floating around in the panhandle somewhere.

The panhandle has been coined the "Redneck Riviera" and it lives up to its name. There is nothing Florida about this area and it really should just be an extension of lower Alabama.

Be warned! Before making the decision to move there go visit for 2 weeks then make a decision. When you visit stay in town and not at the beach to get a real idea of what Pensacola is about.

Pensacola = HELL

Old 10-19-2008, 04:01 PM

464 posts, read 1,741,447 times
'This is a huge Christian town so be prepared for intolerance if you are not a Christian wackjob. '

Im moving just a little east of Pensacola and am glad it is a huge conservative Christian area . It will be nice to experience some real reverence for our Creator as well as wholesome attitudes and good values and morals. Im moving from a big mid western town where there is plenty of apathy toward right from wrong , people only caring about Self interests, lots of vile and foul talk and behaviour , and pretending there is no God so they can do as they wish for a lifestyle. Lastly, Christians arent called to be tolerant to every whimsical act of immorality that comes down the pike , and rightly so. People that are tolerant to these kinds of things that is making America a morally degrading nation , could really care less , and should be ashamed of themselves. Fortunately God offers a far better way to live with great eternal dividends and a happier fulfilled life while on earth. I always find it amazing that those who dont like Christian ethics and morals get upset when those same ethics and morals arent returned to them from others.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzy669 View Post
. Hate crime is not unusual. This is a huge Christian town so be prepared for intolerance if you are not a Christian wackjob. Rednecks everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if there is some underground KKK group floating around in the panhandle somewhere.
If Pensacola is run by "Christian wackjobs" I sure can't tell. Gay people from all over the southeast come to Pensacola every year for Memorial Day weekend on the beach, so it must not be too bad. Parts of Pensacola are run down and trashy and I wouldn't want to live there, but acting like there are KKK meetings there is stretching the truth. Actually in most areas of Pensacola lately you'll see more black people and hispanics than you will rednecks.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:45 PM

43 posts, read 172,726 times
Quote:
Lived in Pensacola for a MISERABLE 2 years. Moved there from Jacksonville due to my partners job relocation and FINALLY moved to St. Petersburg 2 years later. This city is MISERABLE. Job market is poor, poverty level incomes are the norm, there is little to no culture and the quality of life is absolutely horrendous.

Drug and alcohol abuse is very prevalent in Pensacola. Hate crime is not unusual. This is a huge Christian town so be prepared for intolerance if you are not a Christian wackjob. Rednecks everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if there is some underground KKK group floating around in the panhandle somewhere.

The panhandle has been coined the "Redneck Riviera" and it lives up to its name. There is nothing Florida about this area and it really should just be an extension of lower Alabama.

Be warned! Before making the decision to move there go visit for 2 weeks then make a decision. When you visit stay in town and not at the beach to get a real idea of what Pensacola is about.

Pensacola = HELL
I WHOLEHEARTDELY agree. If you are African American Please reconsider moving here. Actually let me say DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!! Racism exists at its highest peak here!!!!!! It is unreal..... Also, you will find very few African Americans in top or high positions (unlike Atlanta, Ga). In my opinion, Pensacola is for white retired military type family.

If you are African American I would suggest moving to the Atlanta, Ga area.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 13,697 times
I've lived in Pensacola for the last 20 years. We have liked it up until recently now that we have young children beginning school here. There are a couple of good public elementary schools but you have to live in neighborhoods that have aging homes. If you look at a Pensacola map you will see that it is landlocked and cannot grow... hence no new neighborhoods near the malls and popular areas of town. Check out www.pensacolamls.com Property taxes and homeowners insurance are both very high due to both hurricane Ivan and Dennis. You must have a seperate wind only policy as well. My home's worth is right at $200 and my total insurance bill is $2300 per year for everything. Middle and High Schools are lacking here and the private schools are o.k. Yes, it is very hot and humid here in the summer months and even into the fall. The beaches are beautiful and I would love to be able to stay but it's not the place to raise kids with a lot of culture and opportunity. PJC and UWF are both nice colleges here but most graduates have to look elsewhere for jobs as the pay here is low for most and with housing so high it's a pricey place to live for what you get. It's a mediocre place to live unless you just love love love the beaches and aren't raising children here.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Georgia View Post
I WHOLEHEARTDELY agree. If you are African American Please reconsider moving here. Actually let me say DO NOT MOVE HERE!!!! Racism exists at its highest peak here!!!!!! It is unreal..... Also, you will find very few African Americans in top or high positions (unlike Atlanta, Ga). In my opinion, Pensacola is for white retired military type family.

If you are African American I would suggest moving to the Atlanta, Ga area.
Yes prejudice in Pensacola exists, but most of it comes from black people.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:17 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:

Pensacola = HELL
I dunno, but it sounds like you're determined to be miserable no matter where you are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola