Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2006, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 9,430 times

Advertisements

Hi - my Great Uncle, Joseph Patrick McAvay, born in Toronto in 1896 married Georgia Walton from Mississippi - I believe Georgia was born about 1905 in or around Neshoba or Newton....I'm sorry I don't know Mississippi geography but I've got that much from the 1910 to 1930 US censuses if I've found the correct Georgia on those censuses. She seems to have come from a large family (if it's her).

Finally, after several years of searching, I've found that Joe (Little Joe to his nephews) died in 1940 in Hot Springs, Arkansas; according to his death certificate Georgia had Joe buried in Union, Mississippi.

How many cemeteries are there in Union and could some kind soul let me know who I could write to to find out where Joe was interred. He was Catholic in case that makes a difference.

It would also be wonderful to know what became of Georgia - whether she remarried, when she died, etc. I know only one elderly relative who ever met her.

Thanks so much.

Carolyn
Toronto, Ontario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Carolyn,

There are several great websites that are free for genealogy research. I too have done some research on my family in Mississippi and believe it or not can not locate the cemetery one is supposed to be buried in. One thing you will need to remember is that boundries for counties changed often so look in adjoining counties. At rootsweb org you can link to research in the United States, then the state then the county. Some of the rootsweb sites are AWESOME and have cemetery listings and even headstone info. Another site you might try posting on is genealogy com. Then the familysearch site is another good one. Good luck in your digging.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Hi "Mom" (I'm a mom of 2, too):

Thanks for responding.

Joe's death certificate says he was "removed" to Union for burial by the undertaker in Hot Springs. Since Union's a small town, I figured someone would be able to tell me the names of the local cemeteries. Just a bit more info to add to my tree. I found one good Mississippi genealogy site but Union wasn't one of the cemteries it listed. More and more is added all the time though so I'll keep looking.

I'm subscribed to Ancestry for the US and England and am always surfing around for info; I've spent many years working on my mother's English birth family and have had very good results and have lots of "new" cousins in England and Australia and even some right in my own city, but would still like to know exactly where Joe is buried. When I'm stuck on mother's tree, I start looking into my Dad's family which is why I'm working on Joe now.

It would be a bonus to know what became of Joe's wife, Georgia, too. She came from a large family and some of her siblings could very well be living and in the area of Neshoba and Newton counties which, since I posted, I've discovered are counties in the area - there's usually someone in a big family who doesn't stray too far from the nest.

Have a good weekend and thanks again.

Carolyn

Old 08-11-2006, 04:04 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Carolyn,

Union County, Mississippi seems to have a VERY NICE website thru rootsweb. They actually have every single headstone listed but I found no last name of McAvay or Walton. The link is:http://www.rootsweb.com/~msunion/

I'll send it to you in a private message just in case. I also looked on the rootsweb site under family tree search and there is nothing listed for either Joe or Georgia (keep in mind those are only family trees that have been submitted by researchers and not always accurate). You might try posting the question on genealogy com under their last names and state. I have found tons of people/relatives that were also researching. I've done my entire family and my husbands. It is rather staggering. I need to get back on it.

Good luck,
Deb

Old 08-14-2006, 08:22 AM

Default Wow

Thanks so much! Obviously I didn't look hard enough as I thought I'd found a pretty good Mississippi site. Now wonder what became of all of the Waltons.

Carolyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search