Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 AM

15 posts, read 24,211 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone has heard this story from a family member. That's about the only way I'll ever get this solved. Any help would be appreciated!

I am looking for the family of a Binghamton woman that gave up her son between Jan 30 & Feb 14, 1926. She answered an ad in an Elmira newspaper about Richard & Lucy Cole looking for a child to adopt. They met at a train station in Hornell to hand over child. The woman refused to give her name or the name of the parents, but she claimed to live in the city of Binghamton. We're not sure where the child was born.

This child is my father-in-law who searched his whole life for answers and never found anything. He has passed away now and I continue his search. I hope someone out there knows something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,303 times
That strange story sounds like one I heard my mother telling me when I was a child. I know nothing of my Moms past...well bits and pieces...nothing makes any since. The story goes my moms name is Doris Mae Ditty Lucas. She claimed to be born in New York, New York June 1944. Her parents names were Felix William Ditty and Anna Pearlene Cave Ditty. I really dont know if these are their real names. She said a one time that her and her siblings was taken out their home and placed in an orphanage in Binghamton, NY. She said that after a few more men for my grandmother they was placed back into the home. My mom said that after being back home she overheard the story of her mother having a baby boy and giving her child to a couple that wanted to adopt a child and this was in Binghamton, NY

Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 24,211 times
Default Binghamton, NY birth family

I've been hoping for someone to reply. Your story is very interesting and it definately has some similarities. I would like to try researching your family and just see what I come up with. I have some questions. You may not know anything, but here goes.....Does your mother know about when this baby boy was supposedly born? Before or after her? Would he have the same father as your mom? Do you know where Felix & Anna were born, died, or buried? Any little tidbit could help. Thanks again. Tiffiney

Old 04-20-2009, 01:35 PM

Default Hopefully some answers

Tiffiney,
I am so glad to hear from you. I have asked so many questions about my mothers past but never had any responses. Everytime I try to look for anything on my mothers family I hit a brick wall. It has been very frustrating. My mother did not talk about her family. She told me that she left home at around 13-14 years of age to move to Charlestown,SC with her best friend. The only name that I got from that was Millie or Mildred Sauls or Souls. This is the lady that raised her. She left home because she was being molested by her new stepfather. My mother has been gone now for 15 years. She was born June 12, 1944 in New York, NY and died March 8, 1994 in Seymour, IN. In her obit that she wrote herself before she died she listed her family members. I really dont know if that is all of them. The child that I referred to that was either sold or given away to another family had to be younger than my mother. The family that she listed was three brothers William Ditty and Kenneth Ditty, both of New York, NY and Elmer Grimes, Binghamton, NY, a sister Alice Marie Potts Seattle, WA. I do know that Anna was buried in Binghamton. I cant remember what year...maybe 1992 or 1993. It was when my mother was still taking chemo and rad for breast cancer and Elmer called her to tell her that her mother had passed on. That actually was about the only time I met one of my mothers relatives. By the time we drove from Seymour,IN to Binghamton, NY they had already buried my grandmother. I wish I knew more...I feel like I have an empty hole in my heart. She was such a good woman with such a hard life. She never knew her dad. I dont think the baby my grandmother gave away had the last name Ditty...but I might be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffiney View Post
I've been hoping for someone to reply. Your story is very interesting and it definately has some similarities. I would like to try researching your family and just see what I come up with. I have some questions. You may not know anything, but here goes.....Does your mother know about when this baby boy was supposedly born? Before or after her? Would he have the same father as your mom? Do you know where Felix & Anna were born, died, or buried? Any little tidbit could help. Thanks again. Tiffiney

Old 02-22-2012, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,306 times
Default Your search has ended, successfully

My name is Kenneth Ditty, the same one referred to in the query to which I reply. There are a few glaring mistakes in this story but essentially it is correct. The family linage is: Felix and Anna, my mother and father.
Elmer and Anita Grimes, step brother and sister. Alice, William, Kenneth and Doris Ditty. I was born in Pasadena CA. Felix was listed as a warehouse worker and Anna a housewife. By my 2nd birthday we were in NY State and Anita Grimes, Alice, William and I were wards of the state and living in Binghamton at the Susquhanna Valley Baptist Home. We remained there for 5 years before moving to Charleston, SC(4 Dukes Court). Felix and Anna were seperated and Anna was living with Frank Shephard. Doris was already there albiet very young and we never saw her prior to this time. Two years later Anita Grimes, Alice, William and I were back in NY state again wards of the state on a farm in Mt. Vision, NY. We drifted apart thereafter and I can only trace myself with any accuracy up til now. Hope this was some help.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
I sent a DM to both of the original posters. Hopefully they still have the same email.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,306 times
Maybe not the end but the beginning!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Family ancestry

I have picked back up the search for my mothers family history. If there is anyone out there that knew Doris Mae Ditty Lucas born June 12 1944 in New York. I am trying to finish this family tree and still don't know everything.

Old 12-30-2015, 01:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,809,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yclucas View Post
I have picked back up the search for my mothers family history. If there is anyone out there that knew Doris Mae Ditty Lucas born June 12 1944 in New York. I am trying to finish this family tree and still don't know everything.
Social Security Death Index:

Name: Doris Mae Lucas
SSN: listed on SSDI on Ancestry.com
Last Residence: 47274 Seymour, Jackson, Indiana, USA
BORN: 12 Jun 1944
Died: 8 Mar 1994
State (Year) SSN issued: South Carolina (1958)

Last edited by daliowa; 12-30-2015 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 12-30-2015, 01:49 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,809,339 times
This may be Doris' father:

California Birth Index:
Name: Felix W Ditty
Birth Date: 27 May 1907
Mother's Maiden Name: Murray
Birth County: San Francisco

U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls
Name: Felix W Ditty
Ship, Station or Activity: Appling
Ship Number or Designation: APA-58
Muster Date: 1 Nov 1946

Los Angeles, 1942, Voter Registrations
Felix W. Ditty, 334 S. Figueroa St., occupation: Driver, party: Democrat

Peoria, Illinois, City Directory, 1957
Felix Ditty, driver Salvation Army, reside 1304 SW Adams

Last edited by daliowa; 12-30-2015 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search