Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2010, 12:16 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,465,823 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to research my father's side of the family and having a hard time since his family is from Quebec, Canada.

Above is my grandmother's name and she was born in 1900 in Victoriaville, Canada.

Can you help me find documents of her life in Canada and her other family members?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 04:59 AM

128 posts, read 320,258 times
There's really quite a lot at ancestry. If you have a local library, check and see if they have a subscription. Here's the 1911 Canada census info:
Father's Name: Victor Champoux
Mother's Name: Delia Champoux
Tribal: French
Province: Quebec
District: Maisonneuve
District Number: 172
Sub-District: Montreal
Sub-District Number: 120
Place of Habitation: 60 Garnier
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Victor Champoux 52
Delia Champoux 39
Rosario Champoux 14
Aristide Champoux 13
Marie Champoux 11
Yvonne Champoux 9
Leo Champoux 7
Simone Champoux 6
Gaston Champoux 4
Aime Champoux 2

Old 09-04-2010, 11:12 PM

Default Marie Anna Delphine Thelbert Champoux - 1900

I can't believe it! I haven't been able to find anything on my grandmother's family and you found them. It's a shock because my grandmother always said she was an only child and then I find out that she had many brothers and sisters.

Her life was a mystery and she would never talk about her earlier life at all.

I'm looking on-line to trace more of her family. But can someone find out if there is a marriage certificate attached to her name?

Also it says Tribe in the census, do you think she was from an Indian reservation in Quebec? Rumors are that my grandfather did come from an Indian reservation near Montmorency.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM

26,809 posts, read 37,859,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I can't believe it! I haven't been able to find anything on my grandmother's family and you found them. It's a shock because my grandmother always said she was an only child and then I find out that she had many brothers and sisters.

Her life was a mystery and she would never talk about her earlier life at all.

I'm looking on-line to trace more of her family. But can someone find out if there is a marriage certificate attached to her name?

Also it says Tribe in the census, do you think she was from an Indian reservation in Quebec? Rumors are that my grandfather did come from an Indian reservation near Montmorency.
Your ancestors may very well have had some aboriginal blood in them but I wouldn't read too much into the word "tribal" from the census. There is no such thing as a "French" aboriginal tribe. All French Canadians were lumped into to the "French" group in the census. The usual terms would have been race or ethnic group, not tribe. Tribe may just be a bad translation or transliteration.

Regarding further documents like a marriage certificate, you might want to look at Roman Catholic churches in the vicinity of 60 rue Garnier in Montreal. They might have something.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Thank you, Acajack for your help! The only thing that has been a roadblock for me is that the area where my grandparents came from is all in french and I don't speak the language. I will see if I can get somewhere with the churches in the area in Montreal but I don't know whether they'd be able to help me because of the language barrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search