Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 14,273 times

Advertisements

The Puerto Ricans started coming to Hawaii in Oct/Nov of 1900. By the end of 1901, approximately 5,000 PRs came to Hawaii. They were sent to the four main islands - Kauai, Oahu, Maui and Hawaii (big island). There are approximately 35,000 PRs or part PRs in Hawaii today. The problem in researching the records of the Puerto Rican is that they were not immigrants. In 1898 as a result of the treaty of paris, the US acquired Puerto Rico and Cuba. What that meant was that travelers did not need a passport. Therefore, there are no immigration records. Norma Carr wrote her dessertation on "Puerto Ricans in Hawaii - 1900 to 1958." It is full of information that may be of use to you. I have been working on my PR genealogy for the past three years and have been stonewalled every time. If you know what village, pueblo, town where your family came from, it is best to start there with the church. Then work your way to Hawaii. I hope this information has helped. Also try familysearch.org; they have a lot of centers that you can go to and someone there could help you. They have access to census and military draft records that can help locate you family in Hawaii. Should you wish to send me an email, [email]rbizourod@aol.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:39 AM

3 posts, read 14,273 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii and well acqainted with the PR community. Robert

Old 08-09-2009, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 12,327 times
Default I may be able to help

[quote=Jomundo_d;2876][quote=Jomundo_d]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomundo_d
Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican living in the mainland.

I have never lived in Hawaii and, therefore, have no knowledge

I suspect a disinterest in the message I am trying to impart. I think, therefore, that this will be my last entry in this forum. Thank you to those who at least were interested enough to read my request.

Old 08-09-2009, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 12,327 times
I'm a Hawaii born Puerto Rican. There are people that can help you with answers. I just discovered your message and fear I'm too late for you to receive this. Try this address: ATTN: Angel Santiago-Cruz, United Puerto Rican Association of Hawaii, 1249 N. School St., Honolulu, HI 96817. They don't have email address that I know of. There's lots of books written about the relocation of the Puerto Rican people to HI. Google is a great tool to use. Myself, I am doing lots of research about this in hopes to finish a Historical Fiction novel. My grandfather was one of the original passengers of the diaspora so lots of oral history passed down. [email]cmodurant@windstream.net[/email]

Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 5,758 times
It has been a while since I visited this site. Again I do not know whether my grandparents ever made it to Hawaii. If the did they would have arrived there inthe early 1900s. If I have any family from the union of my grandparents, they would be Uncles and Aunts as they would be the children of my grandparents. I am 78 years old, hence theseuncles and aunts would be much older than I am. If they had children they would have the surname RODRIGUEZ. The themselves would have the double last name of Rodriguez-Juarbe.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,541 times
I am also looking for my grandfather who migrated to Hawaii, he died young at the age of 40 and my grandmother died when she was 46, so not many of the family know much of anything. I've been searching, any ideas of where I may look? I know that he was most likely born in 1913 and died in 1953. He worked in civil service as a police officer. He was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico according to my mother's birth certificate. Please help, if you have any information. His name was "Ricardo Antonio Garcia". He may have had a brother name "Pete" Agapito.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,387 times
Default Ancestry .com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomundo_d View Post
Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican living in the mainland. I am the son of a person whose parents immigrated to Hawaii in the early 1900s. My grandfather's name, I believe, was Rafael Rodriguez. My grandmother's maiden name was Tomasa Juarbe. When my granparent's left Puerto Rico they were never heard from again. It is customary in Puerto Rico for children to carry the last names of both parents. Hence, my mother was named (first name) Rodriguez-Juarbe. I do not know whether my grandparents had more children, but if Puerto Rican custom was continued, their last name may have been Rodriguez-Juarbe. I do not know whether my grandparents ever made it all the way to Hawaii as history relates that some Puerto Ricans ended the trip to Hawaii by terminating it in the continental United States. I am hoping that the Puerto Rican community in Hawaii may have records or memories of my grandparents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi my family aslo migrated from Puerto rico to Hawaii to work in the cane fields. Ancestry.com has helped me find record dating bcak to 1882 check it out

Old 04-13-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 10,205 times
Smile rodriguez

Aloha! My name is 'Ihilani. I live in Hawai'i on the island of Hawai'i and know quite a lot of people with the last name Rodriguez, probably from all different family lines. Your best bet to find anyone would be facebook.
-'Ihilani

Old 04-13-2012, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 10,205 times
Oh. and i have a friend named Ki____ Garcia

Old 07-09-2012, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,977 times
I was born and raised on Kauai but moved when I was young, BUT I still have many relatives that still live there and I try to visit about every 2 years. My great grandparents migrated to the island of Kauai from Puerto Rico in 1901. In 2001 there was a big celebration on the island marking the 100th anniversary of when the puerto rican community arrived on the island! My great grandmothers last name was Mori, I believe, which I was told they "americanized" by changing it to Morris. My grandmother (my mom's mother) was one of 16 children but only 3 came over on the ship, one of which died on the journey. My grandmother was born on Kauai and married my grandfather whose family also came over from Puerto Rico to help start either the sugarcane factories or the pinapple canery, or maybe both. My grandfathers last name was Agosto. That is all I know but I have heard my mom talk about the Rodriguz family many times as well as the Vegas family. I am certain that many of us on here are probably related!!! My email address is [EMAIL="ToOrderMaryKay@aol.com"]ToOrderMaryKay@aol.com[/EMAIL] if anyone has any questions about any information I may have. We had a family member that did a history book on the family but mine is packed away in storage because my husand and I just moved and are in a temporary apartment waiting to build our next home after a recent transfer to Florida from Tennessee. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search