U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM

9 posts, read 82,122 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican living in the mainland. I am the son of a person whose parents immigrated to Hawaii in the early 1900s. My grandfather's name, I believe, was Rafael Rodriguez. My grandmother's maiden name was Tomasa Juarbe. When my granparent's left Puerto Rico they were never heard from again. It is customary in Puerto Rico for children to carry the last names of both parents. Hence, my mother was named (first name) Rodriguez-Juarbe. I do not know whether my grandparents had more children, but if Puerto Rican custom was continued, their last name may have been Rodriguez-Juarbe. I do not know whether my grandparents ever made it all the way to Hawaii as history relates that some Puerto Ricans ended the trip to Hawaii by terminating it in the continental United States. I am hoping that the Puerto Rican community in Hawaii may have records or memories of my grandparents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2006, 02:22 PM

Thumbs up Puerto Rican Immigration to Hawaii

[quote=Jomundo_d]Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican living in the mainland.

I have never lived in Hawaii and, therefore, have no knowledge of the nationality makeup of any Island or town. I cannot say where the Puerto Rican community is concentrated or what information about the Puerto Rican past they can furnish. I have been told by hawaiians, while in the military, that there are Puerto Rican organizations that might help in this endeavor. Surely there is someone out there that can and will help.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:31 PM

Thumbs down Puerto Rican Immigration to Hawaii

[quote=Jomundo_d][quote=Jomundo_d]Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican living in the mainland.

I have never lived in Hawaii and, therefore, have no knowledge

I suspect a disinterest in the message I am trying to impart. I think, therefore, that this will be my last entry in this forum. Thank you to those who at least were interested enough to read my request.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:31 PM

[quote=Jomundo_d][quote=Jomundo_d]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomundo_d
Hello everyone. I am a Puerto Rican living in the mainland.

I have never lived in Hawaii and, therefore, have no knowledge

I suspect a disinterest in the message I am trying to impart. I think, therefore, that this will be my last entry in this forum. Thank you to those who at least were interested enough to read my request.
The following is a request for help: Are there any people out there with a family name of Juarbe or Rodriguez? If so, would you look into your family past with the idea of locating a Puerto Rican immigrant by the name of "Tomasa:? Surely there is someone out there who may have some knowledge of this person.

Old 03-25-2006, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4l
i love puerto ricans
I do not need love for my people. I need help in locating family.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:23 PM

181 posts, read 819,684 times
Default finding family

I lived in hawaii for 4 years, and I know their are a lot of people there with puerto rican ancestory. The first thing I would do, if I were you is to find out (if you dont already know this) what island they supposedly went to. (I know you mentioned you are not sure if they made it to the islands.) I know a lot of immigrants came to work on the pineapple plantations. Then I would contact family history centers and archives located closest to the area your grandparents settled in. For example, if they went to oahu, I would contact the archives at the major universities, libraires and maybe museums and tell them what I was looking for. You would be suprised by how much information is located in an archive. (usually located in university libraries or state libraries.) some other advice, I am not sure how much information you know about your grandparents, but it would be helpful for you to try to get as much information from living relatives as you can before you start talking to family historians or archivists. for example, birthdates, dates they left puerto rico...what ship they sailed on...all passengers are listed in ship manafests....any information at all that would be helpful in tracing your ancestors. ok well I hope that something in here will get you off to at least a start in your family history work. Famly history is a lot of work, but rewarding, good luck with yours!

Last edited by cnkad; 04-25-2006 at 09:31 PM..

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 AM

181 posts, read 819,684 times
ok, i made a mistake, I was really tired last night, and I meant to say, "and I DIDNT know there were a lot of people there with puerto rican ancestory"...not that that really matters though.

Last edited by cnkad; 04-26-2006 at 11:16 AM..

Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 AM

102 posts, read 117,329 times
Did you also know that Mexicans came to Hawaii to show the Hawaiians how to ranch?

Old 11-29-2006, 04:38 PM

23 posts, read 286,681 times
I lived on Maui. I don't think many Puerto Ricans came to Maui. Most of the pinapple and sugercane workers on Maui came from the Phillipines. each island had people who came from different places. Oahu had mostly Japanese field workers. But I suspect that many of the Puerto Ricans went to Oahu. I suggest you check with the Lds or Mormon church. They have the largest collections of family history information in the world and they have a church on Oahu. They have websites. i suggest you start by going to www.family (broken link) search.org. i belive I have the website right. Seach you genealogy. you can put in a name and it will get yoyu started. ythey have more extensive archives too online. i suggest if you are anywhere near a mormon church to xall and ask if they have a familyhistory cenyter at their church. if they do they have computers and do research there and will help anyone who wants to do research. Since they have the most in fo and the most people who do genealogy research I would dstart there. if they made it to Hawaii I would check to see if they show up in any census records. If they weren't in Hawaii they would show up in US mainland records after 1790. but the best ones with all names in the family would be from about 1850 on. Do a search om cyndi'slist.com . I t has to do with family history sites. good luck. i believe the Mormons could help you the most. You do not have to be Mormon. I'm not and I go to their research library in Salt Lake all the time and search online.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:02 PM

1 posts, read 11,956 times
hello i'm sum guys i can't really say but i live in Hawaii and i might be able to help u, i've come across this letter u put in looking for u know. . . i think i can probaly find them, i have certain programs that could find them i'll try to find something on them. i found this in doing a little project for school i guess i have sum time to go and find your parents in files over peoples computers. like text me back and i'll tell u if i found things. good luck and i hope your doing well

me again i feel quite srry 4 u. i've done some research in 14 mins and i found out that your parents did come and they made it. they went to kuaui. i live in Oahu, i'm rich so i can burn time and money, but this was really old ago i found in a certain file i found. . . I WILL NOT TELL U WHERE THIS FILE IS OR HOW TO ACCESS IT!!!!!!!!! it's. . . important. . . but ya they lived on kuaui for some years i don't know how long but they were help\ rescued by a Hawaiian family that goes by the name of the luai's. i don't know where they are rite now but i hope this information helps. . . bi bi

i forgot to tell u one thing that also came into my mind after i wrote my last note. if u are 13 or older i think i found your little brother. his name in alfonso rodreguez. i'm pretty sure he mite be your bro but i'll have to ask him later. he went to my old school pearl harbor Kai elementary school.

Last edited by Marka; 12-03-2006 at 01:52 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search