U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:43 AM

120 posts, read 347,200 times

Advertisements

My mother speaks of death/miscarriage of an unborn child, though her story doesn't really seem to match what I remember as a child. She claims the son was almost full term, speaks of a hemorrage that took the babies life, delivering at home. I know the name she calls the baby, how would I go about in Oregon to find out what became of this baby.

I remember riding my bike outside and something about blood and baby in the toilet, but don't remember the baby being full term, I was less than 5 years old however. My middle sister is bothered by the knowing of this event and of course my mom won't talk much about it, so she has asked if I can find anything out. I am unware of any funeral, burial of said baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 07:15 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,321,007 times
I doubt if there is any record of birth or disposal of remains. Many times a miscarriage at home was disposed of either in trash or toilet.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 4,770,526 times
If your mother went to the hospital afterwards, there may be a record depending on how developed it was. The development/age would determine if it was treated as a miscarriage or a stillborn. And if it took a breath after delivery, it was a birth followed by death. You can check with the state to see if it was issued birth/death certificates.
State of Oregon: Center for Health Statistics (CHS) - Ordering Vital Records
The fact that your mother knows it died from a hemmorage - or she hemmoraged - tells she must have gone to the hospital.

If there is no record with the state, the only other thing you could do is check your mother's hospital or doctor records, but your mother would have to cooperate with that as HIPPA requires she sign for the records.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 AM

2 posts, read 2,552 times
First, Elwood, I would beg that you have the sensitivity in your reply that you might use if it were YOUR mother, or your brother in question. Trash or... REALLY?
Thamlet2149: Having lost late-term babies with other young children at home, I can tell you that the experience is never simple, as you try to maintain a semblance of normalcy for your other children, and it is often such a sensitive and painful subject that Mom CAN NOT approach it with those same children later. Are there other relatives that might better remember the circumstances? My first son was born at almost 27 weeks, at home, ('85) and was buried on our property. My doctor told us that the local laws didn't require any report of his demise at all. (His name is in the family Bible.)
True, hcgCali: In California, any child born in or out of the hospital, after a certain point (then, it was gestation of 27 weeks) is considered "viable", and when my twins were born and died (in hospital) at 29 weeks, ('86) I was told they HAD TO be cremated, and was given their ashes. (A local church group donated the fees and mentioned us in a Sunday program. If your mom was church-affiliated, there may have been mention there.) The only certification the hospital gave me were hand and footprints, with dates, bracelets and a photograph. They did not register my son's names, (they were "Baby A" and Baby #2", no less). No BC's exist. Unfortunately, in trying to get the hospital records years later, I was told "the records are purged" after a certain number of years. SO, if no concrete records exist, look for mementos, letters and personal items. If you can honor the date she thinks of as her baby's "birthdate", memorialize (baby's name). My older daughter (born '83) "remembers" very little, but calls me on her brother's "dates". I have a few small items that represent each baby, but only those closest to me know anything about them... And again, they are listed in the family Bible.
Is Mom aware that you are putting together family records? If she knows you consider this child a sibling in the family group, more details may emerge. Please tell your sister that there is a lot of secrecy and pain around miscarriage, because our society does not recognize or honor "lost babies". I hope you find an answer. Best of luck.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,093 times
My girl lost a twins in the ambulance should she get a death record what happen to the dead child@ 7half
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search