U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 17,886 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some research on the life of Robert James Dixson, the author of books on the English language. Aside from what comes up by Googling his name, which is just the titles of his books, I've only been able to find out that he lived in Coral Gables, Miami for the last ten years of his life and died on Feb. 1, 1963, at age 54. Can anybody here add anything to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM

1,611 posts, read 1,947,126 times
I didn't find anything about his life but found more info in on his books.

http://en.scientificcommons.org/robert_james_dixson

Robert James Dixson books - Freebase

Robert James Dixson: books by Robert James Dixson @ BookFinder.com

Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,786,505 times
I believe that he may have been married to a Lolita Dixson, also of Coral Gables and Miami FL. She was born 3/5/1913 and died 4/18/2009.

The name Lolita Dixson appears as a co-author on several books with Robert James Dixson.

Found a Robert Dixson on the social security death index with a dob of 5/23/1908 and death of Feb, 1963. There was no place of last residence listed but social security number was issued in NY as was the number for Lolita Dixson.

Found this...

Genealogy Freelancers - Affordable International Professional Genealogists - Ancestry Research

Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,786,505 times
Lolita Dixson also collaborated with Robert James Dixson using the name Maria D Andujar.

Lolita Dixson/Maria D Andujar authored/coauthored books on the English language.

*See the additional notes section in the above linked genealogy page - Maria Dolores Iglesias Andujar became Lolita Dixson upon marriage to Robert James Dixson. The father of the man that posted the genealogy page was the stepson of Robert James Dixson and took his last name when Dixson married Lolita/Maria.

Robert James Dixson also wrote books on the Spanish language with cowriter Julio I Andujar, the other son of Lolita/Maria.

Last edited by ElizNJ; 03-04-2011 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 11:08 AM

8 posts, read 17,886 times
Thank you guys for you help. Now I know more than before, especially his birth date. I got a copy of an obituary notice from a library in Florida that even has his address. I also have the address of one of the stepsons who’s supposedly still alive. I wrote to both of them but got no answer.

I’m interested in the academic life of this man because he had a great influence on thousands of people who read his books, but I still do not know much about it. One of the great mysteries is the fact that he wrote the text for a course called Modern American English that has over thirty hours of recording, but I still do not know actually narrated it, if it was him or somebody else. The copyright is by Simon & Schuster, but they were no help either.

The main reason for the search is that I’d like to make an entry about him in Wikipedia. I was hoping to find somebody who actually knew him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or