U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 AM

404 posts, read 545,324 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been doing a family tree at ancestry.com and have run into a dead end on my dad's side of the family. I am certain of the information I have for everyone including siblings is correct based on the names given in the 1880 census.

It's basically the spelling or the correctness of names that has caused my failure to find the information. Since I am the IV, the change in name from William to Wilburn started showing up iwith Gr. Gr. grandpa.

Wilburn was a popular name back in the day, and there are many Roberson's with that name.

There are some spelling errors, or name changes, hence the name wilburn. The census, or Gr grandpa messed up my grandpa's name in the 1920 census, instead of Graham, the census report showed (Gobam) fortunately I recognised a few of his sisters name, and was able to continue from there.

My GR GR GR GR Grandpa would have the name William or possibly Wilburn Roberson, would have resided in Rose Hill, Virginia, in 1829 when my gr. gr. gr. grandpa was born, or maybe in Mt. Airy, NC at some point in his later years.

He is the father of my Gr. Gr. Gr grandpa William/Wilburn Roberson who was born in 1829, at Rose Hill, Va, and lived in Mt. Airy, NC during the 1880 Census.

Anyone with access to birth and death record might be able to help. Like I said above, I ran into a dead end at Ancestry.com, and no longer have my membership to view actual document. I can still access the site, but can not read the actual documents.

If someone has access to another geneology site may find the info I am looking for, and I can try to find it at the site where my tree is stored.

Thanks in advance. No miracles expected, but seeing how many people have been assisted, I though I would give it a try.

Have a great day!

William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 06:29 AM

310 posts, read 659,291 times
There Are Several William Roberson's In Virginia In The 1830 Census. None Saying In A Town Called Rose Hill. Could It Have Been Under Another Town? Or Could They Have Already Moved To North Carolina?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:56 PM

404 posts, read 545,324 times
That's possible. It was our neck of the world. I think my dad was the 1st to leave the area.

I'm like the last of Roberson males from that line that I know of directly and don't have anyone to call and ask. The family went from 7-8 kids per generation to 3, to zero, since I don't have any kids.

I guess I could be bold and start looking for at other Roberson males from my tree, and find their kids, and give them a call.

Unlike my mom's side where all I have to do is go to Parisburg. Va, and talk to an aunt. We are registered as part of the Cherokee Nation. I've heard the stories and seen the pictures, but I was like 11 at the time.

Thanks for the thought. You would think that he's listed in a census somewhere. I may pay for that site I was talking about for another month and look at each W, William, Wilburn on the list, and see if I can make a connection.

Then it's the Mayflower or bust!

Have a great day!

William

Old 08-12-2007, 11:40 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,662,250 times
Another site to check is familysearch.org it's run by the Mormon church and has been quite useful to me in my search [not a Mormon].....best part is that's it's HUGE and FREE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search