U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 AM

9,362 posts, read 22,806,587 times

Advertisements

Those of you who have been defrauded might contact a newspaper reporter in your own town, as this would make a very good story about online fraud with a local angle, as well as turning up the heat on those investigating the crime, as they will begin to get calls from media throughout the country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM

7 posts, read 11,954 times
I talked with the Judge yesterday and I gave him a piece of my mind since no one had called me back and etc. He kept trying to take up for the Lt. Dingle, and telling me how busy he is. I told him I understand, but a simple phone call to first tell me he got my messages and 2nd to tell me how to file a police report would of soothed my distress a little more than not returning calls at all. So he told me to forward all my information to his e-mail address and he would get with Lt. Dingle and get with me to file the police report. I am also going to file a complaint against that Joyce Anderson since she has no business even commenting on the case at all. She should just be referring us to who we should talk to and not be giving her opinion. What department was she even with? I never got that from her.

Old 10-30-2007, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 17,861 times
holy crap...this thread got huge since my last post...i still haven't heard anything but will post here if anything comes up

EDIT: whoa..i just went back and read the rest of the thread...they got arrested!! that's awesome...now I want some restitution...what do we do now??

Last edited by igotrippedofftoo; 10-30-2007 at 02:13 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob View Post
I was told the woman is denying any knowledge of this entire string of events! Interesting . . . thanks to everyone that helped make this happen! I am grateful for your posts.
I know she co-signed at least one of the checks (another person that was scammed that I've been in contact with) so it would be pretty hard for her to prove she had no knowledge of this scam.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrippedofftoo View Post
I know she co-signed at least one of the checks (another person that was scammed that I've been in contact with) so it would be pretty hard for her to prove she had no knowledge of this scam.

She was the only signer on my check... though something about the signature looked funny.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,115 times
Default Awesome

Well i got a call from the police department letting me know that they had been arrested and that the case was ongoing. I was told that they will be pressing for restitution and jail time, but the total dollar amount doesn't really seem to be as big as they thought it might be, so it might be rough to really get anything buy some jail time and community service unless they can get some bigger charges filed. But lets keep doing what we are doing and hopefully all will work out in the end.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:35 AM

Here is an article from Oct. 20.

TheTandD.com | More charges filed against trio in Internet fraud case (http://www.thetandd.com/articles/2007/10/20/news/12791693.txt - broken link)

Wonder what is going on with the case?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:29 PM

I spoke to Lt. Dingle today and he asked me to send in my height, weight, etc. like some other people on this board did...i'll mail that info out tomorrow...anybody else have any new info?

Old 11-05-2007, 08:59 PM

Maybe someone who has a connection to investigations like this can tell me the answer to this question- Why would they need the height and weight of a victim of mail fraud? Do you think they just cooked up those questions to make you all feel that they are hot on the case or something?

Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 AM

14 posts, read 22,503 times
Default Bill Armstrong

Here is the latest story on the trio.

Charges dismissed against two of three charged with Internet fraud

By VIC WHETSTONE, T&D Correspondent | Thursday, November 08, 2007

DENMARK -- One of three Denmark residents arrested Oct. 12 in connection with Internet fraud was found guilty Monday on two counts of breach of trust with fraudulent intent, while charges against the other two were dismissed.

Babette Marie Pritchard, William Edward Armstrong and David Alvin Pugh, who live on Carolina Highway (U.S. 321) in Denmark, were charged with breach of trust with fraudulent intent following an investigation by Denmark police that lasted more than four months. The three were allegedly involved in a scheme to offer items such as model airplanes, model trains, NASCAR tickets and college football tickets and other items for sale over the Internet. When dozens of consumers from across the country and Canada sent payments for the merchandise to Pritchard, Armstrong and Pugh, they did not receive the items ordered, Denmark Police Chief Leroy Grimes said.

In their appearance before Denmark Municipal Judge Myron Anderson Monday, Pugh admitted his guilt and was found guilty on two counts of breach of trust with fraudulent intent. One of the cases involved Kara Krenner of Chicago, Ill. who paid $270 for merchandise she never received. The other case involved Rick Hogue of Pensacola, Fla., who was allegedly bilked out of $165.00.

The charges were dismissed against Pritchard and Armstrong after Pugh told the judge they had nothing to do with the Internet scheme.

During Monday's hearing, DPD Lt. Dingle, who led the investigation, asked Pugh if he endorsed the checks that were received from the victims.

"No, I didn't sign any of the checks ... like I said, I am guilty of all of that and I mean all of that. I did the e-mails, I answered all the e-mails to the people and when the money came in to the mail box, I went and got them every day. I destroyed all the evidence, and I wrote up the deposits," Pugh said.

"As far as Ms. Pritchard and Mr. Armstrong know," Pugh added, "it was money I was making from the sale of fish and CD ROMs. The agreement I had was that I would receive 25 percent to 33 percent of all the money I bring in. So, therefore, I kept part of it."

Pugh said Pritchard and, possibly Armstrong, signed the checks involved in the two counts tried Monday night.

"Both of them (Prichard and Armstrong) were under the impression this money was coming in for the fish sales and my CD ROMs. I went to the extreme sometimes to have fish boxes on the porch addressed ready to go out, and I would get the checks from the post office and then I would destroy the boxes and go to Bi-Lo and buy some beer and cigarettes," Pugh said.

In further reference to Pritchard and Armstrong, Pugh said, "They are good people. They are straight as an arrow. If either one of them knew what I was doing, they would never have agreed to what I was doing. But I did it for them."

Attorney William Kemp, representing Pritchard and Armstrong, asked that all charges against his clients be dropped since Pugh pleaded guilty to all the charges and said he was acting alone.

The judge dismissed all seven counts of breach of trust with fraudulent intent against Armstrong and Pritchard, based on the fact that Pugh stated under oath and gave sworn testimony that he was the sole perpetrator of the offenses.

In addressing Armstrong and Pritchard, Anderson said, "I will tell you from what the court knows, I think we still have some things we are investigating. This does not necessarily end it. There is the possibility that there could be more charges forthcoming. But now you are free to go."

Based on Pugh's guilty plea, the judge sentenced him to 30 days on each of the two counts and ordered him to pay restitution of $270 and $165 to the victims, for a total of $435 in restitution. Anderson said Pugh is allowed credit for time already served in jail. He has approximately 30 days remaining on his 60-day sentence.

Pugh was characterized as a habitual offender, and according to Grimes, other warrants have been issued but charges have yet to be filed.

The judge noted that based on state law, third and subsequent convictions will be tried as Class E felonies, noting that Pugh can now be charged with a felony for every conviction of breach of trust with fraudulent intent.

Anderson said it is anticipated that any forthcoming charges against Pugh will be tried in circuit court.

T&D Correspondent Vic Whetstone can be reached by e-mail at vwhets@bellsouth.net or by phone at 803-793-3402. Discuss this and other stories online at TheTandD.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search