U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,247 times

Advertisements

I am looking for my granddaughter who is in a foster home in the Madison Wisconsin Area I know a few facts Her foster mom's name is Debbie and she works in a dentist office. My granddaughter goes to a daycare on Oregon Wi. I won't give her name out right now but I will say she is 4 years old and has tempory false teeth on top . If anyone knows of a Debbie in or around the madison Wi. area please tell her I want to see my granddaughter. I have only seen her once since I heard about her being put in foster care and now her father wont answer my calls so I can see her again. Even though he told me he would tell this Debbie to call me I don't think he did. So Please someone help me !!!!!!!!!!11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 07:44 AM

1,280 posts, read 3,925,273 times
I dont belive this is the way to go ... You need to call your local dcfs licensing child protection agency .. call them ..if a child is put in foster care then you may have rights to have her with you or even have visitations .. but you have to go through your child protection agency.

The foster parent is only stepping in to give the child a safe place ....... and I am going to bet that if you were to find the foster mom the licensing would view this as a threat to the child and maybe remove her and put in yet another foster care home!

Call your local office ..if you need help finding that info please pm me.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 AM

575 posts, read 3,467,693 times
Unfortunately you have NO rights. You are a grandparent not a custodial parent/ or parent with visitation.

You could attempt to establish something through the courts but it is doubtful you would attain any visitation.

The child is in legal foster care for a reason which you have not stated. Where were you when this all took place? Did you attempt at that time to gain custody?

State laws vary and you need to contact DSS or whatever dept. handles foster care placement where the original order took place.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,247 times
I was unaware of anything until it was too late. I didn't even know there was a problem with the parents. As far as getting custody I cannot for I live in a different county.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:17 AM

For some reason grandparents think they have automatic rights with grandchildren. They have none - NO standing.

Any standing (if a judge saw foster care as a temporary situation could award a grandparent temp. custody BUT you weren't there for that) and if a judge sees it as a serious situation can take the parental rights away and the child would be adopted out.

Is the child up for adoption?

Anyway you have 3 choices.

1. Rely on the generosity of the foster parent who can allow anyone contact with the child, or

2. Hire an attorney in the state (county or city) where the order took place for a consultation. Not that this will accomplish anything but it's a starting point.

3. Leave it alone.

Good luck I know this is a difficult and trying time.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,078,536 times
Grandparents DO have rights - at least for visitation.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
Grandparents DO have rights - at least for visitation.
They MOST certainly have NO rights. The only persons with any LEGAL rights are the parents provided those rights were not legally taken away.

Can you post any statute stating grandparents have ANY rights? NO, because they have none.

Relationships with grandchildren are established through the parents or the adult with custody.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:46 AM

and CAN a grandparent legally obtain visitation through the COURT, (because that is what they have to attempt to do with a hostile parent who is denying access to the grandchild), yes that is possible not probably and depending on what criteria is met.

also this is case of child taken away from both parents and with false upper teeth (what went on here?) and in foster care which is totally different than a grandparent trying to obtain legal visitation with child who is with their hostile parent or a hostile parent with custody. There is some case law on this but far and few between.

The Supreme Court ruled that the parents of the children have 'the ultimate decision making' on who sees their child.

Now tell me again you have any automatic rights. I'm a grandparent of 2, ages 3 and 10 and I know I have no rights with them if the situation arose, unless I could somehow could establish legal court visitation which probably would not happen.

Last edited by chick; 09-03-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 3,925,273 times
my hubby and his mother had a falling out - the first thing out of her mouth with us was she was going to establish grandparents rights.....

well we contacted a lawyer .. she has no rights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search