Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2006, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,472 times

Advertisements

Hiya everone,

My name's Hannah and im from Manchester in the UK. After abit of reserch on the ellis island website, i found that two of my great great uncles left the UK to become coal miners in 1904 in hanna, carbon county WY. I think i've found that one of the uncles died in one of the many coal mining incidents, however i'm quite interested in trying to find out what happenned to the other?? Did he stay in Hanna? get married etc?? do i still have distant relatives living in WY??

Just wondering if anyone was form hanna? or carbon county? could you point me in the right direction into finding some information?? or put me in contact with someone you could know who might like to help? I'd also maybe like to know a little about the history of the mining accidents? does anyone know where i could find death records form these accidents??

Basically if anyone know's anything about the area/town i'd love to know, it'd be nice to know where my ancestors have ended up.

Thanks for any help you all can give me

Hannah (i know its amusing i'm called hannah too)

xxxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2006, 08:29 PM

49 posts, read 305,205 times
Default Hi, from Hanna WY

I live in Hanna, but I’ve only lived here a little over a year and I’m not really acknowledged to the town’s history, nor it’s mining history. I’ve heard a few stories from some locals, but not enough to be beneficial to you. However, I’ve been to the Hanna cemetery, and do know many “unknown miners” have been laid to rest there, and other known/identified ones whom, all, lost their lives in the explosion you’re referring to. Quite a special/intricate memorial has been erected at this cemetery for all the miners who lost their lives during that horrific accident.

Here’s a website that might be beneficial to you, also, (good luck!):
http://www.interment.net/data/us/wy/...anna/hanna.htm

Old 09-14-2006, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 4,472 times
Default Thanks :)

Thanks

Looking on the memorial i can see one of my g g uncles, R.Wilson (1908) the other uncle was called Thomas Wilson, but i cant see him. However if one of them died in a mining incident then i can imagin there is a distinct possibilty that the other could have died at the same time. Strange that his name isnt on the memorial though. I've left another post on another website as well so fingers crossed someone else may know someone who knows something about death and marriage registration in Hanna.

Thanks for your help

Hannah

Old 07-08-2007, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,222 times
Default about hanna

hi hannah. i used to live in hanna but it was in the 70s and a few yrs in the 90s.but i do know if u go to the library and try to find a book,its called letters to dear dan. if theydont have it where u are they can maybe get it for you by ordering it or borrowing it.the book tells alot of history about hanna and the coal mines there and the people who lived there. i was amazed at what i read in it and the detail of the history. it even mentions alot of names and dates of the people and when they were there. also it mentions the mine accidents in detail. hope you can find this book as im sure it will help you out. good luck

Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 PM

310 posts, read 738,512 times
Hello, I Saw Your Post And Got Curious So I Did Alittle Research. I Found A Thomas Wilson Who Was Born In England In The 1910 Census In Wv. He Was 38 Years Old. His Occupation Was Coal Miner. Don't Know If This Is The Right Person Or Not But Thought I'd Pass It Along. If It's Not, Do You Have The Ages Of Thomas And R?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search